I want to drop out of uni but I'm scared

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I like my flat mates but they aren't really my kind of people, it's been a month and I feel so isolated and alone still I really want to drop out but I didn't make the grades in the first place so they probably wouldn't accept me again if I reapplied... what do I do?

ReputationRep:
    i dont know how much i can help you because half of it depends on your course but i felt isolated and lonely too and it takes a lot of time to get used to it so i wouldnt drop out just because of that

(Original post by maylilv)
    I like my flat mates but they aren't really my kind of people, it's been a month and I feel so isolated and alone still I really want to drop out but I didn't make the grades in the first place so they probably wouldn't accept me again if I reapplied... what do I do?
    Yes, they probably won't accept you the second time. If you feel like dropping out because of your flat mates then do so but you can also join societies, various events or even signing up to gym can help feel less isolated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maylilv)
    Hello

I'm sorry to hear that you feel like your flatmates aren't 'your kind of people' - however, it doesn't mean you can't be civil with them and enjoy your time. At the end of the day you don't 'have' to be friends with your flatmates but if you're civil, at least it's a chill environment. I'd suggest making friends off your course or by joining societies.

At the same time, you are still barely into your time at university. Do what I did when I felt I was in your position, I set myself small targets. E.g. make it to Christmas, then make it to the next break. So on and so fourth. This helped me get through and realised I could make it through.

Just like you can! You've come this far, keep pushing!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that you aren't getting along well with your flatmates. I have been in similar situations before and it is certainly uncomfortable. However, there are many options available to you. You don't have to be friends with your flatmates (a lot of people aren't), you just all need to be able to be civil and polite with one another, and respect the shared living areas. There will be plently of people in the flats around and thanks to the huge diversity in universities I am sure that you will be able to find people that you do get on with and can become friends with It just might take a little bit of time and for you to look slightly further out. Also don't forget that you will make friends on your course and through societies and sport clubs. These latter two are really an excellent way to meet people because you will all have shared interests and many people find that their closest friends come from these clubs.

Are you enjoying the academic side of university? If so, I would strongly advise you to not drop out. You will be out of this apartment in a few months, but you might not be able to ever go back to this university if you didn't have the grades.

ReputationRep:
    You could always try knocking on doors in the floor below/above (or several if you have to!) Don't give up on Uni or making friends yet! You may meet people in societies, on your course, even a part time job or local community group! You could always ask for a transfer to another flat!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.