The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Just received a pre-interview rejection via ucas track :frown:. Good luck to everyone still in with a chance! :smile:
Original post by DrMrs
Just received a pre-interview rejection via ucas track :frown:. Good luck to everyone still in with a chance! :smile:

Same here :frown: Hey ho, onwards and upwards! Hope you are successful elsewhere :smile:
Reply 222
Does anyone know if Bham give feedback on pre-interview rejection?
Original post by Katray
Does anyone know if Bham give feedback on pre-interview rejection?

I emailed Austen Spruce directly and he gave some feedback via email. I had to email twice because nobody got back to me at first so I had to send a follow-up email a week later and got a reply from Spruce.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 224
Original post by mj1dan2014
I emailed Austen Spruce directly and he gave some feedback via email. I had to email twice because nobody got back to me at first so I had to send a follow-up email a week later and got a reply from Spruce.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Was it specific feedback to your application? I shall send an email too.
Original post by Katray
Thank you! Was it specific feedback to your application? I shall send an email too.

Yes. He went on to talk about the academic requirements and specified to me what grades I am offering and said that they are below the threshold for interview selection. I got a 2:1 in my degree but did not specify the percentage (which I did not know you can even do on UCAS) - mine is 65 or 66%. And I got BBB at A-level but he said this is not high enough compared to most candidates.
I kinda knew why I got rejected but it helps to hear it directly from them in case it is actually a different reason. So yes, it is definitely worth emailing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 226
Yes. He went on to talk about the academic requirements and specified to me what grades I am offering and said that they are below the threshold for interview selection. I got a 2:1 in my degree but did not specify the percentage (which I did not know you can even do on UCAS) - mine is 65 or 66%. And I got BBB at A-level but he said this is not high enough compared to most candidates.
I kinda knew why I got rejected but it helps to hear it directly from them in case it is actually a different reason. So yes, it is definitely worth emailing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! You have been very helpful! I've sent an email now I'd like to find out why. It would be very useful to know for future reference whether it be worth reapplying or not I guess. Wish you all the best with your application!
Original post by Katray
Thank you! You have been very helpful! I've sent an email now I'd like to find out why. It would be very useful to know for future reference whether it be worth reapplying or not I guess. Wish you all the best with your application!

You're very welcome :smile: Yes, I may think more carefully next time if I should apply to Birmingham at all since I am missing out academically. And thanks! Best of luck to you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Received an offer yesterday :colondollar:
Original post by Summer 93
Received an offer yesterday :colondollar:

Congrats!
Hey guys! Who's all firmed GEC? Is anyone hoping to look for a flat share?
so who has firm accepted the birmingham place?

have you had the conditional offer confirmed after sending in the required paperwork?
Reply 232

Posted from TSR Mobile

With this post in mind, is it safe to say Birmingham do not accept predicted degree grades? The wording on their UCAS requirements is potentially a little misleading. "We will consider, normally, those applicants who have completed a life science degree at the time of application." Or is that pointing towards applicants already holding a non-science degree?

Sorry for all the questions :colondollar:
Original post by Amy815
With this post in mind, is it safe to say Birmingham do not accept predicted degree grades? The wording on their UCAS requirements is potentially a little misleading. "We will consider, normally, those applicants who have completed a life science degree at the time of application." Or is that pointing towards applicants already holding a non-science degree?

Hi there. I know a number of people who got in with predicted grades - some of my course mates applied in the final year of our BMedSc degree and held offers. Not entirely sure if you must be predicted a specific grade (i.e. a 1st) but they do take predicted grades into consideration by the looks of it 👍
Reply 234
Hi there. I know a number of people who got in with predicted grades - some of my course mates applied in the final year of our BMedSc degree and held offers. Not entirely sure if you must be predicted a specific grade (i.e. a 1st) but they do take predicted grades into consideration by the looks of it 👍

That's great news to hear as a final year applicant. Thank you!
Original post by Amy815
That's great news to hear as a final year applicant. Thank you!

No worries 😉 Good luck with your application!
Original post by Amy815

Hi Amy,
I have recently attended an open day at Birmingham and at the GEM talk, from what I can remember, they mentioned that they priorities students who have already obtained their degree over current students with predicted grades. I would get in touch with the admissions and maybe just double check with them : )
Hi there,

I am looking to apply for GEM this year and liked the look of Birmingham. I graduated top of my class with a 1st, and achieved ABB at A level (Maths, Chem, Bio). At GCSE I got 2 A* 4 A's and 3B's. My issue is that the entry requirements say A in English at GCSE is normally required, which I do not have. So my question is should I risk applying here?
Original post by LRC4321
Hi there,

I am looking to apply for GEM this year and liked the look of Birmingham. I graduated top of my class with a 1st, and achieved ABB at A level (Maths, Chem, Bio). At GCSE I got 2 A* 4 A's and 3B's. My issue is that the entry requirements say A in English at GCSE is normally required, which I do not have. So my question is should I risk applying here?

I would talk to the admissions team there. it's such a specific question.
Original post by Katnmort
I would talk to the admissions team there. it's such a specific question.

Thank you for your reply :smile: I dropped them an email and they stated that they will not reject a candidate based on a single GCSE grade being off.

Latest

Trending

Trending