Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I got admission into a 1 year MSc in Robotics in the UK(2011). However, since I lost interest in the course, the program ended in a stint and I received the PGDip instead of MSc(A failed master's). I had been working without gaps and intend to do an MBA or master's degree in management.Will that PGDip impede my admission to top universities provided I have a distinction in my first degree

If there is a remedy, how can I make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warlock_420)
    I got admission into a 1 year MSc in Robotics in the UK(2011). However, since I lost interest in the course, the program ended in a stint and I received the PGDip instead of MSc(A failed master's). I had been working without gaps and intend to do an MBA or master's degree in management.Will that PGDip impede my admission to top universities provided I have a distinction in my first degree

If there is a remedy, how can I make up for it.
    MBA admissions look at several aspects of an applicant's profile, and past academic 'failures' might not be a disadvantage, if you can show what you learned from the situation. You'll have 5 years work experience since the events of 2011-12 (plus maybe some before then) so as long as you meet the general requirements you should be fine. Some people do MBAs with no prior degree, so I don't think this will hold you back at all.

ReputationRep:
    @Duncan2012. Thanks for the reply. I am 26 now and have been a decent student from school till college until I chose to do that 1 year masters. My undergraduate degree was in computer science. From what I heard, 1 year masters programs in management do not necessarily require work experience even, unless and until the degree is called an MBA. I actually intend to quit the workforce, do a masters in management/finance and eventually a PhD and do not want this 1 year robotics course to impede my future applications

How do I handle this on my resume, statement of purpose, and interviews?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warlock_420)
    @Duncan2012. Thanks for the reply. I am 26 now and have been a decent student from school till college until I chose to do that 1 year masters. My undergraduate degree was in computer science. From what I heard, 1 year masters programs in management do not necessarily require work experience even, unless and until the degree is called an MBA. I actually intend to quit the workforce, do a masters in management/finance and eventually a PhD and do not want this 1 year robotics course to impede my future applications

How do I handle this on my resume, statement of purpose, and interviews?

Thanks
    MSc Management degrees won't need experience, but with a few years work experience it sounds like you'd be better going for the MBA.

The PgDip almost certainly won't be a problem. If you get asked about it be honest and straight-forward - something like "I was enrolled on an MSc but after a couple of months realised I wasn't enjoying the course so left to get a full-time job as a (job title) with (company name). I got a PgDip for my efforts so it wasn't a total loss. It made me realise that my interests were in (management/finance) rather than robotics."

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2016
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.