Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How often are u supposed to get ur car serviced? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What car are we talking? Anything from about 6000 miles up to 20000. I do oil changes on mine every 3000.

ReputationRep:
    I normally get my cars serviced every year as I only do about 4-5k miles a year.
    I think diesels are meant to be serviced twice as often as petrols.

Normally, it is recommended to service them yearly or by the scheduled list - whatever comes first

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the car

Best to change the oil every 3k though if you like your engine. Especially if it gets used hard.

ReputationRep:
    3k is excessive IMO

ReputationRep:
    depends - most little cars have 10-12k miles intervals, or annually if you dont do that much - higher end cars are shorter - evos are like 4500 miles!

ReputationRep:
    I am getting my new car oil changed every 6 months (3k) and service once a year [once the overheating problem has been solved]

I do believe that you can get 150k out of any engine if you change the oil all the time and don't drive it till the oil was warmed up.

My mate does this with his 206 GTI 2.0, its done 70k and the engine still looks and sounds like a brand new one, no wear on it all and passed the emissions with flying colours.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what oil you have in your car. Longlife or normal.. I've done near to 10k in 2 months and just coming up to needing an oil top up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soilman)
    3k is excessive IMO
    Possibly for a granny car doing the shopping run, but not for a car that is used hard

ReputationRep:
    Its not that simple, ryan, soilman.

A mineral based oil would need changing every 3k or so. However, a fully synth is capable of withstanding a lot more punishment.
    However, you can't just pick and choose which oil you want to use in your car it has to be appropriate for the application.
    E.g you can't put fully synth oil into a 50k mile engine only ever previously run on mineral. However, if that engine were to be rebuilt. After running it in for 2k miles a synth oil could be used.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know what oil has been used? I have nothing in the service history that states what oil was used in oil changes .

ReputationRep:
    I meant in most instances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    How do you know what oil has been used? I have nothing in the service history that states what oil was used in oil changes .
    you dont?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davemarkey)
    I normally get my cars serviced every year as I only do about 4-5k miles a year.
    I think diesels are meant to be serviced twice as often as petrols.

Normally, it is recommended to service them yearly or by the scheduled list - whatever comes first
    Old diesels, modern diesels are typically 18k.

ReputationRep:
    You should have a full oil change if you don't know what oil is in.

Should mention there is more than just an oil top/change needed on a service

ReputationRep:
    I know what oil is supposed to be used 5/30 for my car, but if that is what people have been putting in or not I don't know. All the receipts just say oil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richard-)
    You should have a full oil change if you don't know what oil is in.
    How does one do a partial change, then?

ReputationRep:
    AT FFS stop worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I know what oil is supposed to be used 5/30 for my car, but if that is what people have been putting in or not I don't know. All the receipts just say oil.
    It is quite probably that the wrong oil has been used. But from now on ensure the right oil is used. You can't do nothing about the past, unless the overheating problem mutates into a time-travelling device

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    How does one do a partial change, then?
    He didn't imply there was such a thing.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.