Cyber Security

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Wanted to quickly ask a few question as I really like Computer Science A-Level (currently at As) and want to end up in the cyber security career. Ive been trying to find courses and looking at universities but its quite hard to find. I wanted to do a online course for cyber security just so I have more experience before applying for my Uni. Any help?

ReputationRep:
    To get into cyber security do a maths or comp sci degree, I know a few people who studied physics as well.

it's very Very maths heavy at the high end of crypto, so make sure you're comfortable with that! There are quite a few orgs that will do paid internships/training programmes whilst you're at uni too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimerz)
    Hello there,

Wanted to quickly ask a few question as I really like Computer Science A-Level (currently at As) and want to end up in the cyber security career. Ive been trying to find courses and looking at universities but its quite hard to find. I wanted to do a online course for cyber security just so I have more experience before applying for my Uni. Any help?
    Try doing a comp sci degree in your Bachelor's and see if you still like the subject enough. I'm sure you'll find relevant courses online at edX, even for free. And post Bachelor's degree if you want to stick to the topic then there are a lot of postgrad degrees on cyber security at some great unis.

ReputationRep:
    So i figured ill have to do a Computer Science degree and then go on to Cyber Security. I think London University is good for Computer Science isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a slightly different route here, I'm studying Forensic Computing at Portsmouth. Enjoying it massively so far and the security related content offers more options than a pure CS degree. Odds are if you want to go into cyber security an employer will want to see a security qualification or experience, neither of which a university will really offer. No matter what you choose to take odds are you'll want to be studying towards some sort of external security qualification at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Some universities offer ethical hacking courses but I recommend just doing computer science. It will give you basics for other related jobs too and will allow you to make sure you like it. And some universities will offer something like computer science with security and forensics which is just computer science with specific modules selected from the optional modules that teach you about the security and forensics bit specifically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    Some universities offer ethical hacking courses but I recommend just doing computer science. It will give you basics for other related jobs too and will allow you to make sure you like it. And some universities will offer something like computer science with security and forensics which is just computer science with specific modules selected from the optional modules that teach you about the security and forensics bit specifically
    I agree with you, it is best to go for computer science as a background. Opinions change a lot in our undergrad years, don't they? The level of exposure changes, and I personally felt that studying CompSci helped in familiarizing myself with a lot of options and then choosing which specific branch I prefer.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to hear what your experiences are like. Will look into it more.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Read The Code Book: The Secret History of Codes and Code-breaking by Simon Singh and if you are still interested, learn how all the maths behind it works. Much of cyber security is about creating or cracking cyphers. You need to be an uber maths nerd if you are heading all the way to the top.
    That said, there are good jobs in pen testing - testing network resilience etc which is more practically based but there aren't that many companies who are involved so competition is quite high.

Good luck!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.