Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone in the same position? watch

ReputationRep:
    That you have a family member of the same/near age who's just too clever for their own good? I'm in Year 12 but I have a Year 13 cousin; she got 4 As for her AS levels and is obv. gonna get 4 As this year too in her A2s. It's not that I'm dull at all, I only got 1 less A* or something than her at GCSE, and I shouldn't compare myself to her as apart from one, she's doing completely different subjects to me. But I wish we weren't getting results the same day...everyone will be like 'wahoo' for her and for me be like 'oh, quite good...' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    my situation is exactly the same - although i did quite alot better than her at GCSE level, her AS results were all a's and her A level results will be all a's tomorrow, where as my AS results certainly won't be! we are doing completely different subjects but still, the kind of "oh you didn't do as well as your cousin" pitying from my relatives is going to be rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    I know. And just this morning my aunt (her mum) told me to call her or w/e to let her know how I've done...geez, rub my face in it! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Aww no one in my family, but I have an annoying friend who'll take everyone's attention away with her cleansweep of A's no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m90)
    Aww no one in my family, but I have an annoying friend who'll take everyone's attention away with her cleansweep of A's no doubt.
    There's ALWAYS that ONE friend isn't there.lol

ReputationRep:
    ^ I'm usually that friend! Haha.

Not this year though... :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im_a_star)
    There's ALWAYS that ONE friend isn't there.lol
    Yep... and she's one of those people who will start listening to a story I'm telling, then butt in half way through and tell it herself... everyone adores her. *is not bitter* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know it's not easy, but try not to compare yourself. No one in my family is taking A-levels (or at least not this year), but I do understand the desire to compare yourself to 'friends'. I'm planning to go late on, when the crowd will have gone, so I don't have to face many people if I'm disappointed.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon53)
    I know it's not easy, but try not to compare yourself. No one in my family is taking A-levels (or at least not this year), but I do understand the desire to compare yourself to 'friends'. I'm planning to go late on, when the crowd will have gone, so I don't have to face many people if I'm disappointed.

Good Luck!
    I know I shouldn't...but I WILL :p:

Thanks, good luck also

I'm gonna get my results and get on outta there! Haha :p:

ReputationRep:
    Same situation here although I hate to say I'm the year 13 and my brother is the year 12

ReputationRep:
    I have the opposite problem. I go (went) to a selective school and I do well, not meaning to sound big-headed. My cousin, who is also one of my best friends, is getting her GCSE results in a day and I can't help but think she'll be comparing her results to mine when she's only done her best.
    I get A2 results tomorrow, and my best friend outside school is collecting her AS results- again I can't help but think that she'll be comparing herself to me- I don't even wanna text to tell them both what I got!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namakemono)
    I have the opposite problem. I go (went) to a selective school and I do well, not meaning to sound big-headed. My cousin, who is also one of my best friends, is getting her GCSE results in a day and I can't help but think she'll be comparing her results to mine when she's only done her best.
    I get A2 results tomorrow, and my best friend outside school is collecting her AS results- again I can't help but think that she'll be comparing herself to me- I don't even wanna text to tell them both what I got!
    Aw, that's nice that you're thinking like that and don't want to show-off or feel good about doing so much better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city_chic)
    ^ I'm usually that friend! Haha.

Not this year though... :\
    Oh no! Not one of those friends lol j/p. Good luck anyway =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im_a_star)
    Oh no! Not one of those friends lol j/p. Good luck anyway =)
    Haha, thanks, you too

ReputationRep:
    I have many friends that are going to get cleansweep As, that's what makes opening my results around them even more difficult!! Ah well!

ReputationRep:
    YES. My cousin is a mathematical genius and we both get our AS results tomorrow.
    I'm really competitive as well. I WILL beat her!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not a friend, but I did really well in my GCSEs last year, and I'm almost certain my results this time will be something of a let-down.

Ah well, fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation here. my sister is 8 years older than me. She obviously did spend all her time studying, thus her AS and A level were 4A (in Maths(96%), eco(>90%), law(>94%) n accounting(>90%)). Plus she gained a 100% scholarship to LSE and some college in the US.(we are international students) People have always comparing me and her since I was small. I'm so gonna be dead. I don't hate her but the pressure is way too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar_cane)
    I have many friends that are going to get cleansweep As, that's what makes opening my results around them even more difficult!! Ah well!
    your spoiler clearly doesn't show this

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.