The Student Room Group

Warning - Morrisons

Just wanted to warn anyone who's thinking of applying to Morrisons, to have a rethink. I've just left there afta a year n few months of working extremely hard for them, to find out that they have voided my last months pay, meaning i will not get paid for it. I've had trouble with my pay before with them, but never to the extent that they have robbed me of about 250 pounds. To make matters worse the only person who can deal with resolving my pay is a woman who tries to con everyone out of their hard earned wages, so i now have to go thru the process of possibly taking them to a tribunal. Not very good considering i have uni to start in a cuple of weeks.

So just to warn people , if you really do have to take a job with morrisons...be on your guard, keep all ur payslips and join the union. xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hmm, might just be your store. overall morrisons isn't a bad employer.
I've heard from people that work there that they are generally good to work for.

Maybe you just had a bad experience.
Reply 3
Can they do that?

What was the reason?
Reply 4
kimber123
Just wanted to warn anyone who's thinking of applying to Morrisons, to have a rethink. I've just left there afta a year n few months of working extremely hard for them, to find out that they have voided my last months pay, meaning i will not get paid for it. I've had trouble with my pay before with them, but never to the extent that they have robbed me of about 250 pounds. To make matters worse the only person who can deal with resolving my pay is a woman who tries to con everyone out of their hard earned wages, so i now have to go thru the process of possibly taking them to a tribunal. Not very good considering i have uni to start in a cuple of weeks.

So just to warn people , if you really do have to take a job with morrisons...be on your guard, keep all ur payslips and join the union. xxx

Keep Your payslips and record everything. Go get them, some personnel managers are right frauds. A reputation is an understatement. Although my current ones are quite nice.

I've heard from people that work there that they are generally good to work for.

Maybe you just had a bad experience.

hmm, might just be your store. overall morrisons isn't a bad employer.

After 3 years, I have NO COMMENT. Take from that what you will.
Reply 5
Its true that it could just be my store, but to be honest i know people who work in other stores who've also had problems concerning pay.
The woman who does the pay at my store won't give me as such a reason for why im not getting paid, just that as i left in the 3rd week of the month, rather thn the 4th they have the right to void my pay. I just think i shd hav bin told of this before. i worked my week in notice n everything.
Obviously alot of people hav gd experiences with the store, so im nt trying to put everyone off, just warn people to be on their guard as i know im not the 1st theyv done this too, so i prob wont b the last.
I've spoken to ACAS who have told me to write it all down ina letter and send it to head office, n hopefully that mite do sumthin, but to be honest, i think i'v just lost all that money which is a little upsetting.
Reply 6
They also have E-COLI!

*alledgely*

haha
Reply 7
You should take it further imo. Try making some phone calls and see what you can; then ring up your former employer and make sure they know you've consulted legal advice and they'll probably just end up paying you. Don't let it go!!
Um, she us talking absolute bull****!!!!!!!!!!
You are intitled to the money for the days you have worked and also holiday pay.
Have you been to Citizens Advice Bureau???
I cant belive some people saying/thinking they can pay you because of some week thing. Come on!!! YOu worked your time, gave your notice, end of.
You are also going to get holiday pay.
Personal message me if you want help.
Jesus me girl, fight for it.
Actually **** it. I will write this letter for you. Follow my instructions and you will get paid.

Dear <Name of manager>,

RE: Payment of wages <weeks numbers>

I am writing this letter as I have not been paid any wages for the above weeks and also satutary holiday pay. I handed in my notice on <date> and worked untill <insert date>. I am claiming for <insert number of hours>.

You informed me verbually on <insert date> that I would not be getting paid for the above hours because left in the 3rd week of the month, rather thn the 4th they have the right to void my pay. This is an absured and somewhat unfair practice. I worked my notice and I worked the hours.

I expect to written notice that I shall receive payment <when the next pay is paid>. If you fail to provide this, I shall seek legal advice with the view of making a claim at the Employment Tribunal.

Yours sincerly,
You.

Send this by recorded delivery. If they have not got back after a week, call up asking if they have got your letter, if they have not then re send it. If no reply after a week then start proceddings and tell them.

P.S Go back to your contract. If it says because you left in the 3rd week of the month, rather thn the 4th they have the right to void my pay... well that sounds stupid, you should not of signed it.
Reply 10
Just want to thank everyone for all their help. Iv tried ringing up head office but because my store is an ex safeway store, it means morrisons head office r not equipped to deal with any problems regarding my store. Yet as it is no longer Safeway i can't contact them eitha. All of the numbers iv rang in the company hav sed i have to deal with my own store personnel, but that woman is horrible n she is the 1 who is causing me not to be paid. Acas advised me to write thm a letter n i will use Beckys n send that off, hopefully it will get sorted from that.
Reply 11
I hated working there when i worked there years ago - i left after 4 weeks - they wanted me to work loads of extra hours, i dug my heels in said no, it was christmas time and i had A-level exams in january, they tried to say everyone else was doing it, but i left instead - it made me so upset!
With regards to Morrisons/Safeway, then although they are owned by same person(s), then I would go to whoever pays your wages, the name of the store you work in.... However are you claiming for wages when the company changed names, like 10 hours from Safeway, 10 hours Morrions?
Yeah I would go to your own store management first. How old are you, I normally find parents are useful lol.
Reply 14
Becky_Sheffield

Dear <Name of manager>,

RE: Payment of wages <weeks numbers>

I am writing this letter as I have not been paid any wages for the above weeks and also satutary holiday pay. I handed in my notice on <date> and worked untill <insert date>. I am claiming for <insert number of hours>.

You informed me verbually on <insert date> that I would not be getting paid for the above hours because left in the 3rd week of the month, rather thn the 4th they have the right to void my pay. This is an absured and somewhat unfair practice. I worked my notice and I worked the hours.

I expect to written notice that I shall receive payment <when the next pay is paid>. If you fail to provide this, I shall seek legal advice with the view of making a claim at the Employment Tribunal.

Yours sincerly,
You.

I'd stick that through a spell checker before you send it though :smile:
Yeah dont worry I told her to... its really bad.
Send a copy of the letter omiting personal details and I will make sure its ok.
Ive worked at morrisons for over a year and half now, ive never had a problem with pay, and everyone i know who has been underpaid for a month, gets it added back on to there payslip at the end of the next month.

So its i wouldnt blame morrisons as whole, just your personnel staff, go to your union rep they should be able to help sort something, get the union involved to come to some sort of resolve.
My local morrisons has very few staff - think theyre working the staff into the ground and cutting on cost. I cant get a job there in 2 attempts
holiday pay
Also big pointer ONLY ONE MONTH HAS FOUR WEEKS, THE REST HAVE JUST UNDER FIVE!!!!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending