Students who have studied/are studying A levels

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    It's coming up to that time in Year 11 for me and I need to start writing my personal statement. One small problem- I don't know whether I will be taking three or four a levels. Let me clarify- I'm part of the new linear courses, so I can't take four subjects and then drop one of them. The deal is if I start with 4 a levels, I'm stuck with them and if I chose to drop one, I wouldn't even get an AS level.
    I know that at A level I would like to study Spanish, Maths and Economics. But should I take a fourth? If I did take four, I would choose either Chemistry, Further Maths or (very unlikely) Politics. But is it too mcuh work?
    I have heard that A levels are a massive step up from a GCSEs. That being said, I've already self studied for one in Russian language and got an A*. So I don't need to study four because I already have one. However, I am not entirely sure what I would like to do for univeristy or as a career, so my reasoning behind going for four is that it keeps my options open. Chemistry obviously does because it is different to languages and humanities, and Further Maths keeps doors open for univeristy subjects such as Economcis or Maths. Politics is valued for Economics and for language studies.
    So do I go all in and take four, even though the workload could be massive? Is there anyone here who has taken four a levels- would you recommend it or not? I also might want to do an EPQ or is that just too much?

ReputationRep:
    Dude that's amazing, you already have an A*, I would just do 3 at this point.

ReputationRep:
    I would....but I really dont know what I want to do in the future so I want to keep my options open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
    It's coming up to that time in Year 11 for me and I need to start writing my personal statement. One small problem- I don't know whether I will be taking three or four a levels. Let me clarify- I'm part of the new linear courses, so I can't take four subjects and then drop one of them. The deal is if I start with 4 a levels, I'm stuck with them and if I chose to drop one, I wouldn't even get an AS level.
    I know that at A level I would like to study Spanish, Maths and Economics. But should I take a fourth? If I did take four, I would choose either Chemistry, Further Maths or (very unlikely) Politics. But is it too mcuh work?
    I have heard that A levels are a massive step up from a GCSEs. That being said, I've already self studied for one in Russian language and got an A*. So I don't need to study four because I already have one. However, I am not entirely sure what I would like to do for univeristy or as a career, so my reasoning behind going for four is that it keeps my options open. Chemistry obviously does because it is different to languages and humanities, and Further Maths keeps doors open for univeristy subjects such as Economcis or Maths. Politics is valued for Economics and for language studies.
    So do I go all in and take four, even though the workload could be massive? Is there anyone here who has taken four a levels- would you recommend it or not? I also might want to do an EPQ or is that just too much?
    I do four a levels - maths chemistry biology and English literature, and yes it's a lot of work, but if it's what you want to do go for it! Don't over think things, your choices at the moment will open plenty of opportunities for you. Think about why you would want to study chemistry or further maths etc. Is it just for another a level or is it because you WANT to study it and have an interest in it? It will all work out, besides you have already got an a level, your doing amazing on your own!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd go for three, but I already have an idea of what I want to do. If you want to keep your options open and are willing to deal with the extra slavery... work, then go for it :P

When you get to A2 and are doing the four courses though, you'll be a little cornered by your subjects. Two of them will hold you down, the other one will cut you open with a USB containing the years work (a big one), and the fourth subject, presumably in your case Maths, will force a few dozen textbooks in to your body. You'll be summing up your work in the toilet for weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit34)
    I do four a levels - maths chemistry biology and English literature, and yes it's a lot of work, but if it's what you want to do go for it! Don't over think things, your choices at the moment will open plenty of opportunities for you. Think about why you would want to study chemistry or further maths etc. Is it just for another a level or is it because you WANT to study it and have an interest in it? It will all work out, besides you have already got an a level, your doing amazing on your own!
    What did you get for Lit GCSE? Are you AS or A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    What did you get for Lit GCSE? Are you AS or A2?
    I'm doing A2 now. I got an A at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit34)
    That is actually a good point, I think I was choosing Chemistry based on keeping my options open instead of any real interest in the subject. So thank you for bringing that to my attention

(Original post by Callicious)
    Personally I'd go for three, but I already have an idea of what I want to do. If you want to keep your options open and are willing to deal with the extra slavery... work, then go for it :P

When you get to A2 and are doing the four courses though, you'll be a little cornered by your subjects. Two of them will hold you down, the other one will cut you open with a USB containing the years work (a big one), and the fourth subject, presumably in your case Maths, will force a few dozen textbooks in to your body. You'll be summing up your work in the toilet for weeks.
    Hahahaha that seems to sum up studying very well. :P Well, I'm still thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Don't stress yourself out with 4 if it's not necessary, especially if you want to do an EPQ. 3 A-levels + the EPQ would be all right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
    I think doing four is a good idea to do for a while if you're undecided on what to do in the future, but bear in mind its alot of work! I've found that alot of people have dropped their 4th subject in sixth form especially because unis now only ask for 3.

ReputationRep:
    Personal statement in year 11? I'm so confused..

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking three A levels plus an AS in biology. I chose bio becasue I wanted to keep my options open, but honeslty I have no intrest in the subject, therefore I have no motivation, which makes lessons absolute hell.

Moral of the story don't take a subject unless you love it, or unless you're prepared to study hard for a subject you hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    Personal statement in year 11? I'm so confused..
    Yeah, to send in to colleges we need to have a personal statement.

(Original post by AnnemarieV)
    I'm taking three A levels plus an AS in biology. I chose bio becasue I wanted to keep my options open, but honeslty I have no intrest in the subject, therefore I have no motivation, which makes lessons absolute hell.

Moral of the story don't take a subject unless you love it, or unless you're prepared to study hard for a subject you hate.
    Thanks for that. I see what you mean

But my main problem is how can I keep my options open with only three? I feel like I need to choose more A levels so that I don't accidentally narrow out options which may interest me in the future!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing CIE A Levels in India, and am finishing this November. I have taken 5 AS Levels (Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Math and English) last November and 1 A Level (Math) this May. In November, I am doing Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Further Math.

In my opinion, you should take the fourth A Level, since many people do four at a time anyway, and I don't see it as a lot of workload. 5 A Levels should certainly spice up your application(s) a bit!

Then again, I'd say its all up to you. You don't have to, but you certainly could.

ReputationRep:
    Any other ideas guys? I just want to gt as many opinions as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do four, like seriously four is too much, you're not narrowing down your options at all by just doing three, in fact the three you've chosen are great as in they can be applied to lots of courses. Universities give offers on three subjects and contrary to belief pretty much most poeple apply to uni will only have three and by doing 3 and an EPQ it will ensure that you have the time to work really hard on those three rather then stretch yourself too much and it'll mean that you'll have more time to do extra curriculars which will enhance your application more then an extra subject. A levels I found are so different to GCSE's, its a huge huge step up and if you don't enjoy the subjects you're taking then it'll just be awful you won't be motivated and you'll honestly just hate it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.