Biology Dissertation - Help converting politics to science?

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I would really appreciate any thoughts if you have a few free minutes?

I'm currently narrowing my dissertation topic down and I'm wanting to focus on the HIV epidemic in the late 70s / early 80s on the LGBT community but I'm struggling with converting my political angle into a title with sufficient scientific biology content.

My angle is on the use of HIV as a biological weapon, through the stigma of it being a gay disease which resulted in refusal of treatment and the hesitancy for research, incredibly expensive medication which many could not afford.

Ideally I'd love to go into the topic and explain the molecular mechanisms of HIV, the epidemiology of the early western outbreaks, the poor initial response and reasons behind it. Possibly comparing to more modern outbreaks?

Any thought on how I could turn this into a relevant scientific dissertation rather than all politics?

Any thoughts / suggestions would be amazing!

ReputationRep:
    This is a difficult one without knowing more detail. What course are you doing and what does your handbook specify in terms of data collection and analysis? I imagine you could use things like case reports, surveys and public opinion research to make your argument but are you expected to do anything lab based for your project? It sounds like a great idea but I'd be more worried about meeting your criteria. Have you talked to a potential supervisor about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    This is a difficult one without knowing more detail. What course are you doing and what does your handbook specify in terms of data collection and analysis? I imagine you could use things like case reports, surveys and public opinion research to make your argument but are you expected to do anything lab based for your project? It sounds like a great idea but I'd be more worried about meeting your criteria. Have you talked to a potential supervisor about this?
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

It's just a literature based review so no further surveys or lab work are needed. My dissertation works out as a course unit replacement so one less exam in June.

I'm a final year biologist studying straight biology, but have customised it more towards molecular biology and microbiology

The supervisor I've been allocated is a plant biologist so this isn't his speciality, but I've spoken to our head lecturer of infectious diseases who loves the idea. I'm meeting with her this friday to discuss the topic further, but I'm thinking of looking into the effects of public opinion on infectious disease research and treatment?

HIV wasn't really given any attention until gay men in the west began to contract it, where is was before seen as just an african disease. It only really got traction and funding once major hollywood stars got it despite all the campaigning of the LGBT community which I thought to be quite interesting.

Possibly even linking it to the recent NHS discussion of whether prep should be offered for free?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good. I'd focus on a time period if I were you and give justification about why that time period. Not sure what you mean about prep being offered for free but it sounds like you're on the right track in general. Good luck!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.