Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

media studies personal statement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to take up Media Studies at University, I've studied it at both GCSE and A level. I'm one of these people who knows what i want to say but cant say it in a way that will make me sound appealing to an institution. Also, i have no work experience that is media related and i think that will count against me but all i can do is write the best personal statement i possibly can and thats why i need some help from you lovely people

For the nice people who are willing to help me---
    Here's a bit about me: My subjects are, English Language, History, Sociology and ofcourse, Media Studies. The reason i like media studies is simply because it so relevent in our society, and i'd like to be a part of an institution that plays such a vital role in our everyday lives(but i dont know quite how to explain the media's role well).

Work experience: In telesales at Kitchens Direct= given me what skills??? other than communication ???

Hobbies: Reading magazines, watching films, singing (sooo not relevant) Going to cinema, fashion,

Help, please, anyone

ReputationRep:
    Where are you thinking of applying? Are you going for a more practical type of course or a more theory based one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Where are you thinking of applying? Are you going for a more practical type of course or a more theory based one?
    I prefer the theoretical side, and ive heard Westminster have the best Media course in the whole country, im also applying to Brunel, Goldsmiths and i cant remember the rest. Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    Arrrg, have to run, going out tonight.

If I can think of anything helpful, I'll let you know tomorrow, in the meantime http://www.studential.com is good for sample ps.

ReputationRep:
    Start out with a gripping opening sentence, and then talk for 1, or if possible two paragraphs about what you love about the media world and why you want to be part of it... I am going to give an example of what I might have written if I were you.

The media is the undeniable centrepoint of our everyday lives, with headlines, advertisements and broadcasts domination our sensual receptors; in and outside our homes from when we wake to when we go to sleep. It is the absolute importance of this industry, which makes it so appealing to me. I want to contribute to an industry that is always growing and expanding, and being part of the innovations that will be achieved in my life time...

And then I would continue on doing paragraphs with these motifs in mind:

PARA 2: Discuss PERSONAL interests in media, why you think it is so important, what you love about it.

PARA 3-6 (if you do 4 subjects): Do a short paragraph explaining your subjects, and how they would help you contribute to a media degree. For example you might claim that analysis of sources in history has given you insight into the use of propaganda by government, or that English language has given you the tools (writing skills) to be a successful journalist (if thats what you end up doing). There is always a relevant link!

PARA 7: Discuss your interests in and out of school that relate to media - say if you have been part of a school newspaper, or something else involving an audio visual club, or something. Hobbies such as singing (I am also a singer) could probably be related, if you have the words available.

PARA 8: If you have any appropriate work experience, which has shown you something IMPORTANT, then mention it, if NOT then DO NOT mention it. It is a waste of your words, and if it isnt relevant admissions tutours wont care, really.

PARA 9: Summarise why you would make a good media student - work-ethic and genuine interest etc, but do not be arrogant, they wont like it! Just be yourself, and show them that you would love to study media.

I hope this helps you, feel free to PM me and ask about anything ive written if you are unsure.

Always happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Start out with a gripping opening sentence, and then talk for 1, or if possible two paragraphs about what you love about the media world and why you want to be part of it... I am going to give an example of what I might have written if I were you.

The media is the undeniable centrepoint of our everyday lives, with headlines, advertisements and broadcasts domination our sensual receptors; in and outside our homes from when we wake to when we go to sleep. It is the absolute importance of this industry, which makes it so appealing to me. I want to contribute to an industry that is always growing and expanding, and being part of the innovations that will be achieved in my life time...

And then I would continue on doing paragraphs with these motifs in mind:

PARA 2: Discuss PERSONAL interests in media, why you think it is so important, what you love about it.

PARA 3-6 (if you do 4 subjects): Do a short paragraph explaining your subjects, and how they would help you contribute to a media degree. For example you might claim that analysis of sources in history has given you insight into the use of propaganda by government, or that English language has given you the tools (writing skills) to be a successful journalist (if thats what you end up doing). There is always a relevant link!

PARA 7: Discuss your interests in and out of school that relate to media - say if you have been part of a school newspaper, or something else involving an audio visual club, or something. Hobbies such as singing (I am also a singer) could probably be related, if you have the words available.

PARA 8: If you have any appropriate work experience, which has shown you something IMPORTANT, then mention it, if NOT then DO NOT mention it. It is a waste of your words, and if it isnt relevant admissions tutours wont care, really.

PARA 9: Summarise why you would make a good media student - work-ethic and genuine interest etc, but do not be arrogant, they wont like it! Just be yourself, and show them that you would love to study media.

I hope this helps you, feel free to PM me and ask about anything ive written if you are unsure.

Always happy to help.

This has been great! I apreciate it alot thank you!!!!! But one more thing, since i havent really done any media related work experience, how am i to appear a good media student, cos most have as u said, worked on their school newspaper. At the most, the only thing ive done is helped my media teacher send off letters to parents, what a joke!!! However i also helped to produce a pop video for the year sevens for their achievement ceremony! Thats about it, any ideas about how to word this?? PPPPPleaseeeeeeeee , oh yeah and all that magazine and film stuff would be relevent here wouldnt it???

ReputationRep:
    I really advise you to organise a work experience placement at a local newspaper, radio station etc. Most are happy to take on college students for a week or so.

It will help your application stand above the rest, it shows commitment to the subject since you're taking the initiative to explore the subject outside of class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)
    I really advise you to organise a work experience placement at a local newspaper, radio station etc. Most are happy to take on college students for a week or so.

It will help your application stand above the rest, it shows commitment to the subject since you're taking the initiative to explore the subject outside of class.

I totally agree but i have rang up both my local papers and both were fully booked for the summer holidays. So what am i to do??? Lie on my statement for now and actually get the experience in September???

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, yes you'll probably find that every where at this time of year. You could try and arrange a work placement in advance, for say... October Half-Term, and mention this on your personal statement. Or simply state that you're looking into arranging a placement and summarise why you think this is important, telling them what you hope to gain from it (I chose the later option myself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)
    Ahh, yes you'll probably find that every where at this time of year. You could try and arrange a work placement in advance, for say... October Half-Term, and mention this on your personal statement. Or simply state that you're looking into arranging a placement and summarise why you think this is important, telling them what you hope to gain from it (I chose the later option myself).
    Yes but i read on the personal statment guide that its not good to say that you're going to do something.

ReputationRep:
    Well it didn't seem to harm my application but I suppose you could leave it off altogether and instead write about your Media Studies production work.

ReputationRep:
    Media........lol.......*Mickey Mouse comes into his head*

ReputationRep:
    Dynamite, you're an idiot :rolleyes: You've only come to stir up trouble, please refrain from commenting on what you know nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamite)
    Media........lol.......*Mickey Mouse comes into his head*
    I cant even be bothered to start educating you about the million reasons you're so wrong. Anyway, who really cares about what grades you got.

Oh and thanks to the nice people who've helped me, you REALLY have helped im not just saying this. And to DYNAMITE....grow up and get a sense of REALITY, is it not us MEDIA STUDIES students who are grabbing alot of the good jobs out there, FACT, as we have been disciplined for a RANGE of careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danii17)
    I cant even be bothered to start educating you about the million reasons you're so wrong. Anyway, who really cares about what grades you got.

Oh and thanks to the nice people who've helped me, you REALLY have helped im not just saying this. And to DYNAMITE....grow up and get a sense of REALITY, is it not us MEDIA STUDIES students who are grabbing alot of the good jobs out there, FACT, as we have been disciplined for a RANGE of careers.
    I don't know if you've made up your mind yet but I heard that Bournemouth has the best media school in the country...might be worth taking a look there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I don't know if you've made up your mind yet but I heard that Bournemouth has the best media school in the country...might be worth taking a look there.
    yeah ive heard that their media school is really good too, but i live in london and im staying at home so its just a dream!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Bournemouth aswell (Multimedia Journalism) I was made an offer but never visited.

Take a look at the graduate First Destination tables, they'll help you gauge whether or not the course has any weight in the industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)
    I applied to Bournemouth aswell (Multimedia Journalism) I was made an offer but never visited.

Take a look at the graduate First Destination tables, they'll help you gauge whether or not the course has any weight in the industry.
    where do i find out about that?

ReputationRep:
    They're usually buried deep within their website and are impossible to find. If you email your prospective universities they should be able to direct you towards them (in fact I think they're required to).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.