Reapplying to university

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of uni in March of this year where I was studying BA Psychology at Strathclyde. That part wasn't my issue as I had chosen elective subjects (English and Italian) that I found out couldn't be changed. From the beginning of the year I hated English and I knew that I didn't wish to continue with it for the rest of my time at uni. I decided that I would complete the year and change my subjects in second year but I found out that this wasn't possible and I was told that I would have to take English for another year which I didn't want to do as I was struggling and had no desire to pursue it. I spoke to my advisor and the head of the HaSS department/faculty members who deal with this sort of thing and long story short after an unsuccessful transfer I made the decision to completely withdraw from the uni and reapply for the next year of entry.

Its now the time where I'm getting ready to send off my application to study Psychology at other universities and I have my reference etc sorted from one of my previous lecturers. The only issue is that I'm unsure of whether I should mention dropping out in my personal statement as it could potentially affect my chances of getting back in. I currently have a full time job which has passed the time in between leaving and reapplying but I would hopefully like to return to uni again in September 2017 so I want to give my best shot at getting in.

Personally I wouldn't mind mentioning having studied at uni before because I do think that it benefited me a lot and made me realise what I would actually like to study and helped me learn from it. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on mentioning it though and I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before or has any sort of advice they could give me?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people drop out of university for various reasons and then reapply, so I would assume it would not be something unusual for someone in Admissions to see in a personal statement. I would ensure that I properly discussed the reason why I dropped out and talking about how you pursued all your options. You could also just briefly mention that you studied at university then dropped out, and then focusing on other elements.
    Talk about how you comfortably studied at that level, found the course really interesting etc. Ensure that the emphasise is not on how you dropped out and more about what you got out of the course and why you want to go back to university to study it. That is personally, how I would go about doing it.
    Everyone is most likely going to have a different opinion, there will be no right or wrong answer. Some universities may be concerned whilst others may not. Go for the option which you feel provides you with the stronger personal statement, even if that means writing two personal statements with different focal points, and then working from there. You could always contact the universities and discuss it with them, I myself have reached out to universities to discuss my personal statement and received very helpful advice - I was contacting them to see how I should best provide them with my portfolio.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.