Turn on thread page Beta

How much debt are you in? watch

• View Poll Results: How much debt are you already in?
    utpo 5k
    43.64%
    5k +
    25.45%
    5.45%
    10k +
    25.45%

ReputationRep:
    How much debt are you in?

ReputationRep:
    A ****** load!

ReputationRep:
    10K plus, not including 3rd year student loan.

ooh the joys of setting up a record label..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    About 13K, at the end off my first year at uni
    Are you an international student?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's under 5k? At least I hope so...Actually, it could well be more.

Okay, clearly I don't actually know :p: Maybe I'm in denial.

ReputationRep:
    About £14k, which is just student loans and overdraft...after next year it's set to be more like £20k, oops.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely none. If you cant afford to do something save up until you can. Pretty simple.

ReputationRep:
    Wheres the option for none?
    I dont have any

....although im not actually at uni yet.

ReputationRep:
    Three sets of student loans, 12k

ReputationRep:
    ******ing loads

ReputationRep:
    £1,600 in overdraft. HBOS won't give me any more.

ReputationRep:
    Only £100

ReputationRep:
    Erm... Over £3,000 I think... But that is just my student loan. Luckily I haven't used my overdraft so I don't owe the Building Society anything! I think I've fared pretty well this year at uni as I've managed to survive on the money I earnt last summer and at Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donuticus)
    Absolutely none. If you cant afford to do something save up until you can. Pretty simple.
    Or, you could accept that the world doesn't work that way.

ReputationRep:
    ^^yeah, most people have to get a loan when they go to uni, and I wouldn't exactly call tuition fees reckless spending.

ReputationRep:
    About $730,000 (but that does include 3 mortgages)

ReputationRep:
    £1,600 overdraft. Will be taking out a student loan for my degree next month. Dreading the debt I'll be in. I did one year of a degree in Scotland last year which is free but changed to an English uni. I say my happiness is more important than the money issue though. Definately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donuticus)
    my reasoning is the complete opposite. We're getting leant a load of money for free, so we might as well use it!

Id rather have a great time and start my own business and pay for everything and end up in horrible debt.... than spend the last 3 years of tax-freedom saving the pennies so im more well-off after.

ReputationRep:
    £6k at the end of year 1 of four.

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    $146.21 on my credit cards. I can pay it whenever I want though.

my reasoning is the complete opposite. We're getting leant a load of money for free, so we might as well use it!
    Are you one of those people who tries to get the highest overdraft possible and then complains when all their wages from their summer job go toward paying it off?

That sort of reasoning is ridiculous. Sure, get a loan to cover what you NEED. But surely, it's in your best interest to come out with as little debt as possible.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.