The Student Room Group

Best Scottish University to study History?

I'm beginning my applications for universities, and just looking for peoples opinions on the best university in Scotland to read History? I have a preference for Modern History over Ancient, but it isn't decision altering.
Any opinions welcome, thanks
Reply 1
Original post by daisyh48
I'm beginning my applications for universities, and just looking for peoples opinions on the best university in Scotland to read History? I have a preference for Modern History over Ancient, but it isn't decision altering.
Any opinions welcome, thanks

It's between St Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow. They all have decent courses but it is all about what you prefer and also your grades! I'd say have a read up on the content of the courses - but they are the top 3!

I'm pretty sure there are separate courses at St Andrews for Ancient/Modern/Medieval History. But honestly, just do some research - it's your opinion that matters at the end of the day - not the opinion of other people! :smile:

I personally love the sound of the content at Glasgow - so I'm really glad to have an offer!
Reply 2
Original post by jmalley1
It's between St Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow. They all have decent courses but it is all about what you prefer and also your grades!

Yeah I've been researching those universities and saw they were the best, however I spoke to reps from Glasgow and St Andrews and based on my grades at the end of s5, they wont accept me even if I make up the grades and even exceed them - their reasoning was why would they accept me when they have hundreds of applicants who actually made the s5 entry requirements!
I've looeked at Edinburgh, but the ones that have been referred to me a fair few times are Strathclyde, Stirling and Aberdeen, would you happen to have heard any opinions on those? :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah I've been researching those universities and saw they were the best, however I spoke to reps from Glasgow and St Andrews and based on my grades at the end of s5, they wont accept me even if I make up the grades and even exceed them - their reasoning was why would they accept me when they have hundreds of applicants who actually made the s5 entry requirements!
I've looeked at Edinburgh, but the ones that have been referred to me a fair few times are Strathclyde, Stirling and Aberdeen, would you happen to have heard any opinions on those? :smile:

Can I ask what your grades at the end of S5 were?
I left school at the end of S5 with AAAB and I have an unconditional from Glasgow and I was actually rejected from Strathy! I think as long as you have a solid PS that it's worth a shot.

Stirling have a good course, I know a couple of people who studied History there and they seemed to like it. I don't have an opinion on Aberdeen but looking at the course, structure etc it looks like a good course.

I've applied for Glasgow, Strathclyde, Stirling, Edinburgh and Aberdeen for History/Sociology (with Education too at Stirling).
Stirling was actually my Uni of choice before I got into Glasgow. I didn't want to get my hopes up for Glasgow!

It really is up to you though. Stirling does have a lot of modules that surround more modern history - Aberdeen has a bit of both.

Also, this may not apply to you, but I'm sure Glasgow have so many places available for students that are the first in their family to go to uni etc - so it may actually be worth applying?

I didn't bother applying to St Andrews because I knew there is so many applicants with better grades than me :smile:
Probably Edinburgh. That's the only place in Scotland most people have heard of.
Reply 5
Original post by jmalley1
Can I ask what your grades at the end of S5 were?

At the end of S5 I got AACC and failed one subject, this year in S6 im taking another 3 Highers and Advanced History.
I would love to go to Glasgow but I doubt they would accept me on my grades even if I did well this year, Glasgow seem very picky about S5 results.
Reply 6
At the end of S5 I got AACC and failed one subject, this year in S6 im taking another 3 Highers and Advanced History.
I would love to go to Glasgow but I doubt they would accept me on my grades even if I did well this year, Glasgow seem very picky about S5 results.

I think it's worth a shot with a good PS. But it's up to you!
Like I say, if you have different curcumstances they have places to allocate.

Quick Reply

Latest