Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im underweight for a boy, and mostly girls who are friends are like your collar bone is so prominent, etc ect, im not that arsed about my weight but I think **** off if I said something about your overweight hips all hell would break loose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
    tell ya what. do you play DOW il give you bash at that sometime? though i havent played it for ages. Or if youve got a spare straight 48 hours how about a campaign of war of the ring? Or C&C

'sabbit crazy how quick opinions can change when you find out more about someone isn't it? People need to hold judgements better and wait out before reeling off crazy pokes and massive responses of negativity at someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    if I said something about your overweight hips all hell would break loose.

DAMN RIGHT!!
    Bigg applause for you! ^^

I'm underweight, and to be honest I don't eat all that much. People do not comment on my weight and my eating habits all that much. I find that it is when I do actually eat people mention it more than when I don't.

Although, I don't understand why I should worry so much about what other people think.
    I've accepted myself for who I am, and now others are beginning too as well.

ReputationRep:
    People only think what they do because they worry.

If people are obese then they are unhealthy.
    If people are severely underweight then they are unhealthy.

If you told an obese friend they needed to lose weight, you are doing it because you care about their health.

Obese that is.. not just a little overweight. Talking about worryingly unhealthy weight issues not just a bit of extra fat on your hips..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suek)
    People only think what they do because they worry.

If people are obese then they are unhealthy.
    If people are severely underweight then they are unhealthy.

If you told an obese friend they needed to lose weight, you are doing it because you care about their health.

Obese that is.. not just a little overweight. Talking about worryingly unhealthy weight issues not just a bit of extra fat on your hips..

Agreed totally.
    It's just the choice of way to tell someone that can get silly. Like if i knew someone was clinically obese but not getitng help for it, i wouldn't think that saying "stop eating and get off the couch you fat lazy (choice word)" to spur them to a dietician, i'd feel really bad lol...but then everyone's different.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have to say I agree with the OP. I've always been skinnier than my friends, and it's ok for them to call me stick or twig or whatever, but if I were to call them fatty, that would be totally out of line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    I have to say I agree with the OP. I've always been skinnier than my friends, and it's ok for them to call me stick or twig or whatever, but if I were to call them fatty, that would be totally out of line.

That stands for a lot of things these days though dosn't it. It's weird how some things turn out that way where u can say somthing about one thing and not about the other even though theyre in the same box...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xWishbonex)

There we go again O_o
    No wonder people develop mental issues when people think ure saying stuff to get noticed.

No, people do not develop mental 'issues' (which I guess by which you mean mental illness) because a few people on an internet forum declare them to look, act and communicate the way they do look, act and communicate. This whole thread is a typical girly-girly weight obsessed whine. Urgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xWishbonex)

Agreed totally.
    It's just the choice of way to tell someone that can get silly. Like if i knew someone was clinically obese but not getitng help for it, i wouldn't think that saying "stop eating and get off the couch you fat lazy (choice word)" to spur them to a dietician, i'd feel really bad lol...but then everyone's different.
    A lot of people do make those comments about an obese person yet states that they only say them to help the poor fat person to lose some weight. It does work both ways but theres a difference between making harsh comments to a friend and to a stranger. Your friends are probably worried about your health and rather than sitting you down and having a possible embarrassing heart to heart about your health they make jokey comments hoping you would understand. They arn't jealous, they arn't being *****es, they just want you to stop making yourself unhealthily underweight.

To be honest this thread does sound like a cry for attention but not in a "I want help" sort of way. You seem obsessed with your weight and it seems that you are hoping people will congratulate you for making yourself unhealthily thin and tell you how amazing you are. It's most likely that people will call you stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I am always hearing skinny people say that they get just as bad a time as fat people. But being skinny is fashionable. I'm sure more guys would rather date a skinny girl than an overweight girl. Skinny people don't get ridiculed in the same way as fat people, and no one calls them "revolting" or "disgusting". Women all over the country are desperate to be skinny, and even develop mental illnesses over this desire. No one wants to be fat. I can totally understand a skinny person being annoyed at "eat a burger," and agree that that's really rude, but at the same time, that's usually (not always) all it is. Irritation/anger. If someone were rude to an overweight person by saying, "who ate all the pies?" or, whatever, it would nearly always depress and upset them. In some people it would provoke an unhealthy eating binge.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering but are you asking for advice on;

a) how to get to a better weight
    b) how to show your friends that you are comfortable at your weight.

Iv been seriously ill for 4 months and lost a stone of weight, Im 18 and average hieght and about 8st (51kg). I feel quite senstive at the moment and feel that most people are judging me...Now I just have to eat and gain my energy back before I go to uni and hopefully get back to normal.

It sound as if your friends are worried about you, have you thought about doing something to gain a bit of weight?

ReputationRep:
    I am underweight for my height, but im NOT starving myself... I am healthy: I do a lot of sports, dancing in particular and karate, and I eat healthily and regularly. I can see more of a prejudice towards 'skinny' people than there is against the 'curvy' people. I only use those terms as in the media and apparent public opinion there is no in between. I hate it! I have always been bullied for being small and 'skinny' and it makes me feel terrible. esp with all this size zero crap going on atm... where everything you see and read says that small girls are completely undesirable. And they complain about the obesity problem... well... if they will insist on saying that being thin is unhealthy but being fat means you have 'sexy curves' then of course you will have a problem with obesity! GRRRRRRRRRRRR! Rant over!!! lol^^

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt anyone would say an obese woman has "sexy curves". In the magazines "curvy" is normally used to describe women of "normal" weight for their height or maybe just slightly overweight...a week before they call them fat and disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    I very much doubt anyone would say an obese woman has "sexy curves". In the magazines "curvy" is normally used to describe women of "normal" weight for their height or maybe just slightly overweight...a week before they call them fat and disgusting.
    Yeah, isn't a size 12 meant to be 'curvy' now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tetrahydrocannabinol.)
    Yeah, isn't a size 12 meant to be 'curvy' now?
    Not really, depends on who you are, you height, weight etc. When I was a size 12 I was just fat and overweight. There are plenty of tall girls with legs up to their armpits who are lovely at a size 12.

ReputationRep:
    I'm rather thin and have been called anorexic from people who don't have a clue, for most of my life. I don't have any eating disorders and eat just as much as anyone else but it doesn't stop narrow-minded people passing comment. My boyfriend's family are constantly saying things. They don't try to be nasty but like a lot of people I don't think they realise that it hurts. Its just as bad as commenting on a fat person especially when it is impossible for the person to do anything about it e.g it's practically impossible for me to gain weight. Sometimes I try to laugh it off and it does help slightly, other times I try to ignore it which can be hard but if you can do that it doesn't bother you half as much.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference from being slim yet eating and exercising like any other person and purposely making yourself unhealthily underweight, like the OP is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but doesn't stop comments being made which is what my point was.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked out your BMI through an online calculator and if you are 7st3 and 5ft6 then your BMI is only 16.3. The lowest you should be for a healthy weight is a BMI of 18.5 and so your lowest weight should be 8st3. So you are about a stone underweight which isnt too bad but I would advise against losing anymore.

Sorry if you didnt particularly want any of this advice, I was just intrigued as I am 5ft3 and around 8st so it sounded to me like you would be pretty emaciated at this stage

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.