How can I improve my science grade A-A*? Plz help.

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm in year 10 and one of the GCSE options I took is triple science because I want a scientific career in the future. I want to go into A LEVEL and then UNI. Currently at the moment we have just done a mock exam on Chemistry, Biology and Physics, I was expecting to get at least a B to an A but I got a C.

What I really want to know and need help with is how to improve my grade in all sciences to an A-A* ? I understand the topic in lessons but the test confuse me a little. Can anyone please give me any revision techniques? anything? As I'm taking the new GCSE qualification next year, I want to get the best grades as possible in these mocks. Please help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teen_94)
    Hi I'm in year 10 and one of the GCSE options I took is triple science because I want a scientific career in the future. I want to go into A LEVEL and then UNI. Currently at the moment we have just done a mock exam on Chemistry, Biology and Physics, I was expecting to get at least a B to an A but I got a C.

What I really want to know and need help with is how to improve my grade in all sciences to an A-A* ? I understand the topic in lessons but the test confuse me a little. Can anyone please give me any revision techniques? anything? As I'm taking the new GCSE qualification next year, I want to get the best grades as possible in these mocks. Please help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's only the beginning of Year 10, chill! Many people start by sitting on Bs/Cs (or worse!), and end on A/*s it's normal, because it's a step up from KS3, and that can really hit you in the first term of Year 10. Don't let that get you down. I would recommend looking at why you got that C. That C means absolutely nothing unless you know why you got it, and what you have to do to improve next time (rest assured, there will be plenty of "next times", in terms of mocks ) You can't really act until you know why, because it *could* be a knowledge problem, but it could also be a problem with exam technique. The only way to know is to look at the paper. After that, identify topics of weakness and focus on them )

ReputationRep:
    Get the CGP book specific to your exam board. Memorise the f*ck out of it. Get an A* in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    the only thing that ever helped me when i did science was flashcards. they force you to actually recall the information rather than just read it.
    and don't worry about your grades now, i was literally failing all three sciences for the whole of year 10 and the majority of year 11 and i got p good grades in the end. (As in biology and chemistry, B in physics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metamorphic)
    Get the CGP book specific to your exam board. Memorise the f*ck out of it. Get an A* in the exam.
    Literally all i did for GCSE science

ReputationRep:
    I think in Science, it's important that you understand everything before moving on. If you don't get something, but then you move on, you'll find it firstly harder to understand everything related to that topic, but also you won't be able to revise properly because you'd be spending most of your timing learning the topic in the first instance.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the specifications/mark schemes for each topic/module. You can find them online, I would recommend printing them and go through each section making sure you have a thorough understanding. Closer to the actual exam you can practice how to structure the exam answers but for now you need to focus on having a thorough understanding

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.