Difficulty Getting 2nd Reference

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am an American applying to KCL and LSE for IR for the 2017 application season.

I have everything lined up(1st reference, Statement etc, and I have largely filled out my applications to both places.

However, I am having difficulty getting a 2nd academic reference to complete my application.

I got one of my college prof's respond to my request to consider my request. Although I haven't heard from him since the applications have opened up and he is difficult to get ahold of.

I am getting worried as time is ticking and both places are very competitive.

I was wondering what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    having done multiple undergrad and master's applications I would advise the following:

email the prof and check if he is still up for writing the reference, stating the deadline
    i would begin to think of other referees you could approach just in case

My referees were happy to be emailed polite reminders and so should your prof if he has agreed to do your reference. Be aware that these things do slip their minds they have very busy jobs and a high work load

Best of luck with your applications and I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Apply without it.

Write on the application 'reference to follow'. Then email the Dept and tell them you are chasing your second reference. They will consider your application without it, but will obviously insist on it before any offer. In the meantime, you can try to contact your referee, or find an alternative.

This situation isnt that unusual - often PhD applicants have left Uni years ago and its frequently difficult to locate academics who have moved on/retired or to get them to actually commit to writing the reference. They most important thing is to apply by the deadline - the reference is secondary.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would recommend you to visit the referee personally. For my MBA, i contacted 6 professors, none of them even replied. I then decided to visit the campus daily, as a result, i received three references on the third day. It's a bit old school method but sorry to say it still works. I would also second the suggestions mentioned above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Apply without it.

Write on the application 'reference to follow'. Then email the Dept and tell them you are chasing your second reference. They will consider your application without it, but will obviously insist on it before any offer. In the meantime, you can try to contact your referee, or find an alternative.

This situation isnt that unusual - often PhD applicants have left Uni years ago and its frequently difficult to locate academics who have moved on/retired or to get them to actually commit to writing the reference. They most important thing is to apply by the deadline - the reference is secondary.
    My prof actually responded.

However, I didn't know universites allowed that.

(Original post by esfar)
    Hi, I would recommend you to visit the referee personally. For my MBA, i contacted 6 professors, none of them even replied. I then decided to visit the campus daily, as a result, i received three references on the third day. It's a bit old school method but sorry to say it still works. I would also second the suggestions mentioned above.
    I was considering this too, however a couple of profs are adjuncts and it's often hard to sit down with them due to their day jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I also had a related question.

For transcripts-do unversites just need one from the place you graduated from. Or do they need everything for your entire post secondary education?

I ask as I transferred colleges after my first year and was awarded by degree by another university. I am also taking a couple of classes at a local community college for personal interest as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matador23)
    I also had a related question.

For transcripts-do unversites just need one from the place you graduated from. Or do they need everything for your entire post secondary education?

I ask as I transferred colleges after my first year and was awarded by degree by another university. I am also taking a couple of classes at a local community college for personal interest as well.
    You need the transcript(s) that counted towards your degree - if the 2nd Uni has include the other degree level courses you did on their transcript then that is fine, otherwise you will need both as evidence of what your degree covered. (Unless its relevant to the course you are applying for, don't bother with the current local college courses.)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.