The timeline for applying

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm just really confused about the whole order for applying for things. I just sent off my UCAS today, but I was just wondering whether you apply for accommodation or for student finance first?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You can't apply to student finance until around Feb / March time.

Not too sure about accommodation. It varies by each uni. Check your unis website for more information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellavanderbilt)
    I'm just really confused about the whole order for applying for things. I just sent off my UCAS today, but I was just wondering whether you apply for accommodation or for student finance first?

Thanks.
    Should always apply to student finance first as you can always change the app details at a later date.

When will you be starting your studies? Are you a January starter? April 2017? June 2017? September 2017?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You can't apply to student finance until around Feb / March time.

Not too sure about accommodation. It varies by each uni. Check your unis website for more information.
    Okay, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)
    Should always apply to student finance first as you can always change the app details at a later date.

When will you be starting your studies? Are you a January starter? April 2017? June 2017? September 2017?
    That makes sense.

If all goes well, I should be starting in September 2017.

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense.

If all goes well, I should be starting in September 2017.
    Ok, applications will open feb/march 2017 - You can make your application straight away so it goes to approved and then you won't have any delays or issues in september 2017. When you apply, just put any university and any course you are interested in and when it asks for your term time address just put your home address - basically just put anything. Once you find out what university your going to then you can change it in your online student finance account (Changes to your application can only be made online up until 1st september 2017, any changes after that date would have to be done via paper form or via the university sending in a change of circumstance)

A common mistake people make is waiting until their university is all confirmed before applying for finance and then they apply in September and expect to get money days later, there application ends up getting delayed as they commonly do things wrong and then they moan and blame student finance when they would of had a much better experience if they applied in March!

hope that helps,

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murpo)
    Ok, applications will open feb/march 2017 - You can make your application straight away so it goes to approved and then you won't have any delays or issues in september 2017. When you apply, just put any university and any course you are interested in and when it asks for your term time address just put your home address - basically just put anything. Once you find out what university your going to then you can change it in your online student finance account (Changes to your application can only be made online up until 1st september 2017, any changes after that date would have to be done via paper form or via the university sending in a change of circumstance)

A common mistake people make is waiting until their university is all confirmed before applying for finance and then they apply in September and expect to get money days later, there application ends up getting delayed as they commonly do things wrong and then they moan and blame student finance when they would of had a much better experience if they applied in March!

hope that helps,

cheers
    Okay, that makes sense.

Thank you so much for this! It really cleared up a lot of things up. I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, that makes sense.

Thank you so much for this! It really cleared up a lot of things up. I really appreciate it.
    Your very welcome, let me know if I can help with anything else

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.