What extracurriculars are favoured by Oxford?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently in year 10 and would like to go to Oxford for university to study English, History or Law, with the hope of becoming a lawyer or diplomat in the future. I know Oxford value grades above all else, however I was wondering whether there any extracurrciular activities in particular that are looked upon favourably. I currently play two musical instruments and am likely to be Grade Eight on my primary study and at least Grade Six on my secondary before I apply and I also volunteer at an orchestra for primary school students for my Bronze D of E. I am also involved with an organisation called the ESU and have attended their debate academy after winning an international writing competition orchestrated by them, but I am struggling to think of any extracurricular activites that would link with the subjects I hope to study. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura/)
    Hi,
    I am currently in year 10 and would like to go to Oxford for university to study English, History or Law, with the hope of becoming a lawyer or diplomat in the future. I know Oxford value grades above all else, however I was wondering whether there any extracurrciular activities in particular that are looked upon favourably. I currently play two musical instruments and am likely to be Grade Eight on my primary study and at least Grade Six on my secondary before I apply and I also volunteer at an orchestra for primary school students for my Bronze D of E. I am also involved with an organisation called the ESU and have attended their debate academy after winning an international writing competition orchestrated by them, but I am struggling to think of any extracurricular activites that would link with the subjects I hope to study. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!
    Oxford isn't interested at all in extracurriculars. They may be interested in supercurriculars - i.e. in your case, things to do with Law.

It's fine to mention them, and other universities may be more interested, but it's best for your PS to be roughly 80:20 focussed on your academics and course vs extracurriculars.

ReputationRep:
    extra curricular or supercurricular activiies are not a cheat code or power up for your application , for many courses what you have done is irrelevant, however what you have learnt and it impacts on your learning and/or experience and understanding of the subject area is what matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura/)
    Hi,
    I think some thing English related would be the best as English is useful for all three of your possible courses. So either school paper, or volunteer at a publication agency or newspaper agency. Also, it allows you to have contact with advanced writers and if you can learn from those writers you will have a much stronger English skill which will show at the interviews. Two birds with one stone - extracurricular + English training.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.