Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

What extracurriculars are favoured by Oxford? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently in year 10 and would like to go to Oxford for university to study English, History or Law, with the hope of becoming a lawyer or diplomat in the future. I know Oxford value grades above all else, however I was wondering whether there any extracurrciular activities in particular that are looked upon favourably. I currently play two musical instruments and am likely to be Grade Eight on my primary study and at least Grade Six on my secondary before I apply and I also volunteer at an orchestra for primary school students for my Bronze D of E. I am also involved with an organisation called the ESU and have attended their debate academy after winning an international writing competition orchestrated by them, but I am struggling to think of any extracurricular activites that would link with the subjects I hope to study. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura/)
    Hi,
    I am currently in year 10 and would like to go to Oxford for university to study English, History or Law, with the hope of becoming a lawyer or diplomat in the future. I know Oxford value grades above all else, however I was wondering whether there any extracurrciular activities in particular that are looked upon favourably. I currently play two musical instruments and am likely to be Grade Eight on my primary study and at least Grade Six on my secondary before I apply and I also volunteer at an orchestra for primary school students for my Bronze D of E. I am also involved with an organisation called the ESU and have attended their debate academy after winning an international writing competition orchestrated by them, but I am struggling to think of any extracurricular activites that would link with the subjects I hope to study. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!
    Oxford isn't interested at all in extracurriculars. They may be interested in supercurriculars - i.e. in your case, things to do with Law.

It's fine to mention them, and other universities may be more interested, but it's best for your PS to be roughly 80:20 focussed on your academics and course vs extracurriculars.

ReputationRep:
    extra curricular or supercurricular activiies are not a cheat code or power up for your application , for many courses what you have done is irrelevant, however what you have learnt and it impacts on your learning and/or experience and understanding of the subject area is what matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura/)
    Hi,
    I think some thing English related would be the best as English is useful for all three of your possible courses. So either school paper, or volunteer at a publication agency or newspaper agency. Also, it allows you to have contact with advanced writers and if you can learn from those writers you will have a much stronger English skill which will show at the interviews. Two birds with one stone - extracurricular + English training.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.