The Student Room Group

AQA ALEVEL Physics New SPEC - ANY TIPS FOR A/A*?

SO the New spec may seem daunting, and the specification practise papers are horrible - but really the physics is still the
same and It is going to be the best time ever to push for a high mark, as the boundaries will be lower than ever. I am just a bit concerned about the wording of the questions themselves; nonetheless, proper preparation will be crucial.
What I recommend doing:
- Using AlevelPhysics onlines videos and buy his year 13 course - compile a great set of notes following the spec and memorise them.
- Using ISAAC Physics, the source mentioned above attaches questions to each topic so grind through them.
- Using https://studywise.co.uk/a-level-revision/physics/ - another fantastic source.
- Using Past Papers - Luckily I used Freeexampapers and so have done every single Unit 1 and 2 paper from 2002 - like 60 papers but unfortunately the site has closed down. Just going to have to repeat some of the other unit papers from the AQA website and again use isaac physics.
- IF TIME - Other specification papers, particular edexcel multiple choice questions.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by TrueDAN

well , make sure you learn all the possible question that could come up. You could do this by researching questions not just put out by AQA , but other exam boards too. I really find edexcel really good as they also have multiple choice questions for their A2 modules as well as AQA. knowing that both papers will have around about 30 Multiple choice questions , its worth to practice multiple choice questions put out by edexcel too. (basically use questions from other exam boards because aqa will change the style in which they write these question and may be influenced by other exam boards.)

I strongly recommend that you read the examiner reports for every past paper question you attempt because this will tell you what the examiner wants from a candidate and what he wouldn't want.

Also as the exams are getting closer , spend more and more of your time revising when you are at home.

the most important thing that teachers and students do not know is that for every single subject , exam boards are allowed to go beyond the spec. It can happen but it doesn't happen all the time. So if you are learning something like Circular motion , they don't teach you about angular acceleration but it could come up.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447167/2015-07-20-gce-subject-level-guidance-for-science.pdf

"developing further material that is covered in the specification; or making links between such types of material, which are not signalled in the specification"

1) Past papers from different exam boards
2) Examiner Reports
3) Spend more time as exams get closer
4) GO BEYOND THE SPEC

(got an A in AS Physics last year and also doing the new spec too)
Original post by PawanAviator
well , make sure you learn all the possible question that could come up. You could do this by researching questions not just put out by AQA , but other exam boards too. I really find edexcel really good as they also have multiple choice questions for their A2 modules as well as AQA. knowing that both papers will have around about 30 Multiple choice questions , its worth to practice multiple choice questions put out by edexcel too. (basically use questions from other exam boards because aqa will change the style in which they write these question and may be influenced by other exam boards.)

I strongly recommend that you read the examiner reports for every past paper question you attempt because this will tell you what the examiner wants from a candidate and what he wouldn't want.

Also as the exams are getting closer , spend more and more of your time revising when you are at home.

the most important thing that teachers and students do not know is that for every single subject , exam boards are allowed to go beyond the spec. It can happen but it doesn't happen all the time. So if you are learning something like Circular motion , they don't teach you about angular acceleration but it could come up.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447167/2015-07-20-gce-subject-level-guidance-for-science.pdf

"developing further material that is covered in the specification; or making links between such types of material, which are not signalled in the specification"

2) Examiner Reports
4) GO BEYOND THE SPEC

What other subjects do you do?
Reply 4
Original post by PawanAviator

2) Examiner Reports
4) GO BEYOND THE SPEC

Cheers for the reply, really helpful! I got the highest mark in my year on the old
spec mock but did not do so well in the actual exam. I have found a really good
revision source that isn't specified for one exam board so I can develop as wide
range as knowledge as possible, hopefully meaning I can be ready for whatever
querky questions they may throw at us in the exam. I also have 3 free periods on Mondays and try and dedciate all of these to try and do physics. It is only one
session a week but hopefully it will all add up in the long run. Studying maths and
further maths as well,
best of luck with all your revision and that :biggrin:
Original post by MajorFader
What other subjects do you do?

Maths and further maths. used to do economics as well but i was forced to drop it last month because the school told me that im only allowed to do 3

:frown:
Reply 6
What was the really good revision source because I'm really struggling with physics right now to be honest with you.
Reply 7
Original post by TrueDAN
Cheers for the reply, really helpful! I got the highest mark in my year on the old
spec mock but did not do so well in the actual exam. I have found a really good
revision source that isn't specified for one exam board so I can develop as wide
range as knowledge as possible, hopefully meaning I can be ready for whatever
querky questions they may throw at us in the exam. I also have 3 free periods on Mondays and try and dedciate all of these to try and do physics. It is only one
session a week but hopefully it will all add up in the long run. Studying maths and
further maths as well,
best of luck with all your revision and that :biggrin:

What was that resource you were talking about?
Reply 8
Original post by Elictro1
What was the really good revision source because I'm really struggling with physics right now to be honest with you.

I will PM you :biggrin:
Original post by TrueDAN
I will PM you :biggrin:

Do you mind sharing this good revision source with me as well :biggrin: !?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by leopard923
Do you mind sharing this good revision source with me as well :biggrin: !?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alevel Physics Online. He has all year 12 for free and all year 13 for £20 and
covers every exam board - kind of like MyGCSEScience. He isnt very well known yet.
This is what I am doing to push for top marks.
So - Watch all of his videos, make notes and add anything extra from class work
so you have really detailed notes - which you can then memorise.
Also, go to freexampapers whereabouts you can find papers from as far back as
2001 - even though some of the spec has changed, some questions are bound to
reappear - the more questions you can do the better. He also has attached
additional questions from a site called ISAACphysics which is very useful.
Combine that with using sources available on PhysicsandMathstutor :biggrin:
Original post by TrueDAN
Alevel Physics Online. He has all year 12 for free and all year 13 for £20 and
covers every exam board - kind of like MyGCSEScience. He isnt very well known yet.
This is what I am doing to push for top marks.
So - Watch all of his videos, make notes and add anything extra from class work
so you have really detailed notes - which you can then memorise.
Also, go to freexampapers whereabouts you can find papers from as far back as
2001 - even though some of the spec has changed, some questions are bound to
reappear - the more questions you can do the better. He also has attached
additional questions from a site called ISAACphysics which is very useful.
Combine that with using sources available on PhysicsandMathstutor :biggrin:

Thank you so much! I love physics so really want to get top marks like you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by leopard923
Thank you so much! I love physics so really want to get top marks like you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amazing mindset to have!! Im sure youre gonna smash it :biggrin:
Original post by TrueDAN
Amazing mindset to have!! Im sure youre gonna smash it :biggrin:

Thank you ! Really appreciate that :biggrin: I'm sure you will as well :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys I'm taking the new spec A-level AQA physics too. Could anyone give me some advice as whenever I revise for physics I tend to make flashcards and this really helps me (providing i stay consistent and read them at least once everyday) and practice questions from my revision guides (CGP and AQA approved books) but I know I should be practicing past paper questions - my problem is that because I tell myself that I have areas in the spec which either I haven't covered yet or that I haven't finished yet I shouldn't do the papers until I have completed all the spec. Advice would really be appreciated! thanks!!

Also how does everyone ensure they stay consistent with their revision? I have a problem with leaving it even for a couple of days to study my other subjects and then I forget quite a lot
Hi guys,
I'm also taking the new AQA A level physics exam in June. Just wanted to ask is there any good resources for wider reading? As I've heard that the exam could contain things that are not mentioned in the specification. Also in the specification it gives what will come up in the 3 different papers. however the specimen papers don't follow this format. why is that??
Original post by Mirzs1612
Hi guys,
I'm also taking the new AQA A level physics exam in June. Just wanted to ask is there any good resources for wider reading? As I've heard that the exam could contain things that are not mentioned in the specification. Also in the specification it gives what will come up in the 3 different papers. however the specimen papers don't follow this format. why is that??

I did the old spec and basically read through the aqa books, best advice ever, they can only ask whats in those books.

other resources,

Revise.im
Antonine Physics
Maths and Physics tutor -- many resources to work through

Other than that , again , just read the aqa books well. they cover everything you need to know. To the level the exam board want .
BTW you could also try https://isaacphysics.org/
gives you loads of questions to do from the entire spec , and shows you a step by step solution if you get stuck
Reply 18
UPDATE SO FAR:
All of first year notes made and memorised - been refreshing them every Thursday and literally takes like 5/6 hours of just writing notes from memory
but deciding to do it every 2 weeks from now on as Im feeling more confident that they are memorised - probably my weakest area is the practicals.
All of Thermal Physics/Capacitors/ Electric Fields memorised except for electromagnet induction - gone ahead of class so would like to hear the class explaination first then that is all memorised. Completed my AstroPhysics notes but not yet memorised and need to tweak a couple things on my
nuclear notes then memorise them. Definitely should have all of course content learnt by MID APRIL.
Papers - Done every paper on Quantum Physics from 2002 so like 30 + papers but freeexampapers has closed down so need to find another source
Done about 10 papers on UNIT 2.
Not done any ISAAC Physics yet but will start grinding questions tomorrow and do a few questions a day so it accumulates nicely by exam time.
Plan is to have content learnt nice and early and then for the next 2 months QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS whilst refreshing my notes.
Does anyone have access to the AS AQA Physics papers from last year and would like to send them. Also does anyone have access to Set 2 specimen papers for AS and A2.

Quick Reply

Latest