The Student Room Group

How long before my mocks should I start revising?

My GCSE mocks start on the 5th of December and I hope to ultimately get as many A*s (or 8s/9s in English and maths) as possible (in my actual GCSEs) and just do as well as I can in the mocks. So how long before them should I start revising and roughly how many hours per day should I do? Thanks!
I guess the simple answer is up to you. Don't let anybody tell you you need to revise every day from now to exams - that isn't possible at GCSE. Similarly, don't revise anywhere near the last minute.

For real GCSE's in June, I probably started somewhere in march. For me it was a case of when everybody started talking about it, and I started a plan of what I wanted to revise, when, and worked backwards until I had a plan for up until exam time. Many people did less intensive revision since February/January/the dawn of time etc.
The mocks are up to you - how confident are you? How much effort are you prepared to put in? For me mocks had less content than GCSE's, so I started probably somewhere in November (but my mocks were in January). Mocks mean very little in the long term, but as you're going for A*'s this extra 'forced' revision time is very useful - especially in learning mistakes and prioritizing areas of revision next time.

I would start now, and build up to more intensive revision near the mocks. If it is too much, tone it down, if you're not getting enough in change your plan to do more. Hours per day depends on other commitments - I think I did too much (5-6 hrs weekdays, 10hrs ish weekends near the end), and ended up a bit stressed. Take a break before beginning proper GCSE revision.

Tom
Same I have my mocks around that time too. I guess maybe to go over some year 10 notes now and to consolidate your knowledge on the content as they might also test you on this year's content in which you can spend more time learning it nearer the mocks.
Original post by TomHibbs12
I guess the simple answer is up to you. Don't let anybody tell you you need to revise every day from now to exams - that isn't possible at GCSE. Similarly, don't revise anywhere near the last minute.

For real GCSE's in June, I probably started somewhere in march. For me it was a case of when everybody started talking about it, and I started a plan of what I wanted to revise, when, and worked backwards until I had a plan for up until exam time. Many people did less intensive revision since February/January/the dawn of time etc.
The mocks are up to you - how confident are you? How much effort are you prepared to put in? For me mocks had less content than GCSE's, so I started probably somewhere in November (but my mocks were in January). Mocks mean very little in the long term, but as you're going for A*'s this extra 'forced' revision time is very useful - especially in learning mistakes and prioritizing areas of revision next time.

I would start now, and build up to more intensive revision near the mocks. If it is too much, tone it down, if you're not getting enough in change your plan to do more. Hours per day depends on other commitments - I think I did too much (5-6 hrs weekdays, 10hrs ish weekends near the end), and ended up a bit stressed. Take a break before beginning proper GCSE revision.

Tom

5-6 hrs on a weekday? That's like 4-9pm. How did you manage that?
You should start revising now but I wouldn't say you need to do a certain amount of hours a day. Mine are around the same time, I'm just going over stuff on revision websites in spare time and doing a couple of pages of notes a day depending on the subject I need to focus on. During the half term I plan on prioritising for the slightly harder subjects e.g. history.
But most importantly, don't stress it!
Happy Revision! :u:
Reply 5
Original post by TomHibbs12

Tom

Woah, 10 hours on weekends and 5-6 hours on weekdays is a lot!! Thanks for the advice; I think I'm going to just do as much as possible and then take a break until after Feb half term
Reply 6
Original post by whatadon
You should start revising now but I wouldn't say you need to do a certain amount of hours a day. Mine are around the same time, I'm just going over stuff on revision websites in spare time and doing a couple of pages of notes a day depending on the subject I need to focus on. During the half term I plan on prioritising for the slightly harder subjects e.g. history.
But most importantly, don't stress it!
Happy Revision! :u:

Ahah you too :smile: yeah, history is so hard for me!!

Quick Reply

Latest