Plz help! Dentistry personal statement

Watch
This discussion is closed.
mins.xx
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi !

I want to apply for dentistry starting 2005. Need halp with writing the ucas personal statement! :confused:

PLEASE HELP!!

mins.xx
firebladez777.5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's very difficult to give you pointers and tips when there's nothing to work with. Why not post a draft copy on here, and I'll give it a read-through. (NB. I'm going to uni to do medicine, not dentistry, but personal statements for the two are usually very similar).

For now: -be sure to open up with why you've always had this lifelong urge to pull people's teeth out (a bit of re-phrasing wouldn't go amiss here). I actually told the truth (SHOCK! HORROR!) in my personal statement, and said 'the first thing you should know about me is that I haven't always wanted to study medicine'. Seems to have worked, I got offers from everywhere.

---------include a bit about work experience and how it inspired you oh-so-much

---------of course you must give a valid and appriopriate reason for wanting to do dentistry (not "I want to be driving a porshe in 5 years time and this is the quickest way to do it")

---------Chuck in a paragraph about how brilliant you are and all your noteworthy acheivements to date.(The point where you sell yourself, indirectly saying "I'm better than anyone else because...")

--------You could finish off by emphasising your commitment to this field of work, and your passion for the subject of dentistry.

Hope this helps!
mins.xx
thanks for the tips! im very surprised u got offers after saying it wasnt exactly ur lifelong dream!!

I'll try and write a draft and sent it to you!

Thanks again!

mins.
mins.xx
By the way, out of interest where did u apply?

I am planning to apply to Kings, Bristol, Queen Mary's and Birmingham.

mins.x
firebladez777.5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Applied to Kings/Bristol/Newcastle/Cambridge (sorry...correction form my previous statement, I got offers from the first three, and got pooled then rejected by Cambridge, although they told me they loved my personal statement!).

King's is my first choice; great atmosphere and first class teaching/equipment (it's also reputedly the best in the country for dentistry).
seafood
Report 16 years ago
Just follow the usual checklist for personal statement writing. As long as you're not from a private school you shouldn't have too hard a time of it getting offers as long as you can think on your feet at interviews.

I wasn't half as well prepared as everyone else seemed to be at the interviews i attended, some even brought along examples of manual dexterity. Sod that.

Just make yourself come off as nice and rounded on your PS, add a liberal coating of ******** and you're done.
nabzp
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[QUOTE=firebladez777.5]Applied to Kings/Bristol/Newcastle/Cambridge[QUOTE]

Cambridge don't do dentistry ???
What did u apply for there?
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nabzp)
Kings/Bristol/Newcastle/Cambridge
i was going to ask the same but if you read he/she said medicine

mins.xx i'm hoping to read dentistry at manchester, am just waiting for my grades, if you havent got work experience you won't stand a chance.

as an intro to your personal statement, i mentioned positive aspects about my character
mins.xx
i dint xplain myself properly b4. im actually doing a part-time Bsc in Biomedical Sciences and will be applying as a mature student cause ill be 22!My A levels werent brill so i dint apply straight after.

I spoke to someone at Kings ( i think he was the undergraduate tutor for something) and he was the most discouraging person i have ever spoken to! He told be that admission to dentistry is very competitive and made out as if i dint stand a chance!!

This is why i am so concerned about my personal statement, not because i want to get into Kings, but because id like to get an offer from SOMEWHERE!!

As far as work exeperience is concerned, what exactly classifies as work experience. I have 'shadowed' a couple of dentists. Is that sufficient?

mins.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mins.xx)
i dint xplain myself properly b4. im actually doing a part-time Bsc in Biomedical Sciences and will be applying as a mature student cause ill be 22!My A levels werent brill so i dint apply straight after.

I spoke to someone at Kings ( i think he was the undergraduate tutor for something) and he was the most discouraging person i have ever spoken to! He told be that admission to dentistry is very competitive and made out as if i dint stand a chance!!

This is why i am so concerned about my personal statement, not because i want to get into Kings, but because id like to get an offer from SOMEWHERE!!

As far as work exeperience is concerned, what exactly classifies as work experience. I have 'shadowed' a couple of dentists. Is that sufficient?

mins.
part time work say 10 hours per week in a dental surgery

you'll need to finish your BSc course
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

mins.
Shadowing a couple of dentists is sufficient, but ideally you should do a lot more to make your application stand out, - two weeks of work experience in a dental surgery is the absolute minimum you should do, any more is a bonus. Also, it'll give you a lot more to talk about at interview, as well as giving yourself a better idea of what your letting yourself in for.
nabzp
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There is a course I think you would find helpful, I went on it last year. It's called Dentsitry Day, at the Uni of Liverpool. There are the usual lectures on Grades, Interviews, PS, but also a tour of the hospital with students in their final year and a chance to have a go at fillings in a set of plastic teeth, which was the best bit

Last year it was on the 27th August, or there-abouts, it cost £20, including a buffet lunch.

I put it in my PS (I didn't mention which uni it was at), it does look quite good as there are many medical courses but not dental. I was asked about it at my interviews and the plastic teeth I took along made a good talking point.

I guess I should really put this in the Dentistry subforum. If you want mroe info, ring Liverpool uni dental dept.

Hope this helps.
mins.xx
you'll need to finish your BSc course[/QUOTE]

I dont quite understand that. Do you mean i would have to finish the BSc b4 applying? i thought i could ask my uni supervisor to predict me a grade and put that on the ucas form. Is that not allowed?

Mins
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think you can just ask for a prediction but I'm not sure. E-mail the admissions office at the dental schools you are thinking of applying to and ask what they will accept.
mins.xx
(Original post by seafood)
Just follow the usual checklist for personal statement writing.
[/PHP]

Personal statement chcklist? Sorry im new to this forum, where do i find the checklist?

mins.xx
firebladez777.5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[QUOTE=nabzp][QUOTE=firebladez777.5]Applied to Kings/Bristol/Newcastle/Cambridge

If you read my first post...I have applied for MEDICINE!!!!
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[/PHP]

Personal statement chcklist? Sorry im new to this forum, where do i find the checklist?

mins.xx
from your centre,institution...... i asked for help with mine, there is a common structure that ought to be followed such as mentioning character, why you want to study dentistry for the next 5 years, what relevant work experience you have, what you learnt, why dentistry is for you,

everything has to be positive and really enhance your grammatical sentences in a manner that will inspire the admissions tutors - also get help on this, get it in WAY WAY WAY before the deadline whcih is something like october 15
mins.xx
For Denstistry:

Birmingham Vs Manchester

Which would you choose?

mins.xx
mins.xx
[QUOTE=nabzp]There is a course I think you would find helpful, I went on it last year. It's called Dentsitry Day, at the Uni of Liverpool. There are the usual lectures on Grades, Interviews, PS, but also a tour of the hospital with students in their final year and a chance to have a go at fillings in a set of plastic teeth, which was the best bit [PHP]

Sounds good. Thanks for that!

mins.xx
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
For Denstistry:

Birmingham Vs Manchester

Which would you choose?

mins.xx
that question mirrors your lack of research, and tbh it's all about where you will want to study
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (35)
17.95%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (55)
28.21%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (105)
53.85%

Watched Threads