Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Plz help! Dentistry personal statement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi !

I want to apply for dentistry starting 2005. Need halp with writing the ucas personal statement! :confused:

PLEASE HELP!!

mins.xx

ReputationRep:
    It's very difficult to give you pointers and tips when there's nothing to work with. Why not post a draft copy on here, and I'll give it a read-through. (NB. I'm going to uni to do medicine, not dentistry, but personal statements for the two are usually very similar).

For now: -be sure to open up with why you've always had this lifelong urge to pull people's teeth out (a bit of re-phrasing wouldn't go amiss here). I actually told the truth (SHOCK! HORROR!) in my personal statement, and said 'the first thing you should know about me is that I haven't always wanted to study medicine'. Seems to have worked, I got offers from everywhere.

---------include a bit about work experience and how it inspired you oh-so-much

---------of course you must give a valid and appriopriate reason for wanting to do dentistry (not "I want to be driving a porshe in 5 years time and this is the quickest way to do it")

---------Chuck in a paragraph about how brilliant you are and all your noteworthy acheivements to date.(The point where you sell yourself, indirectly saying "I'm better than anyone else because...")

--------You could finish off by emphasising your commitment to this field of work, and your passion for the subject of dentistry.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the tips! im very surprised u got offers after saying it wasnt exactly ur lifelong dream!!

I'll try and write a draft and sent it to you!

Thanks again!

mins.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, out of interest where did u apply?

I am planning to apply to Kings, Bristol, Queen Mary's and Birmingham.

mins.x

ReputationRep:
    Applied to Kings/Bristol/Newcastle/Cambridge (sorry...correction form my previous statement, I got offers from the first three, and got pooled then rejected by Cambridge, although they told me they loved my personal statement!).

King's is my first choice; great atmosphere and first class teaching/equipment (it's also reputedly the best in the country for dentistry).

ReputationRep:
    Just follow the usual checklist for personal statement writing. As long as you're not from a private school you shouldn't have too hard a time of it getting offers as long as you can think on your feet at interviews.

I wasn't half as well prepared as everyone else seemed to be at the interviews i attended, some even brought along examples of manual dexterity. Sod that.

Just make yourself come off as nice and rounded on your PS, add a liberal coating of ******** and you're done.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=firebladez777.5]Applied to Kings/Bristol/Newcastle/Cambridge[QUOTE]

Cambridge don't do dentistry ???
    What did u apply for there?

(Original post by nabzp)
    Kings/Bristol/Newcastle/Cambridge
    i was going to ask the same but if you read he/she said medicine

mins.xx i'm hoping to read dentistry at manchester, am just waiting for my grades, if you havent got work experience you won't stand a chance.

as an intro to your personal statement, i mentioned positive aspects about my character

ReputationRep:
    i dint xplain myself properly b4. im actually doing a part-time Bsc in Biomedical Sciences and will be applying as a mature student cause ill be 22!My A levels werent brill so i dint apply straight after.

I spoke to someone at Kings ( i think he was the undergraduate tutor for something) and he was the most discouraging person i have ever spoken to! He told be that admission to dentistry is very competitive and made out as if i dint stand a chance!!

This is why i am so concerned about my personal statement, not because i want to get into Kings, but because id like to get an offer from SOMEWHERE!!

As far as work exeperience is concerned, what exactly classifies as work experience. I have 'shadowed' a couple of dentists. Is that sufficient?

mins.

(Original post by mins.xx)
    i dint xplain myself properly b4. im actually doing a part-time Bsc in Biomedical Sciences and will be applying as a mature student cause ill be 22!My A levels werent brill so i dint apply straight after.

I spoke to someone at Kings ( i think he was the undergraduate tutor for something) and he was the most discouraging person i have ever spoken to! He told be that admission to dentistry is very competitive and made out as if i dint stand a chance!!

This is why i am so concerned about my personal statement, not because i want to get into Kings, but because id like to get an offer from SOMEWHERE!!

As far as work exeperience is concerned, what exactly classifies as work experience. I have 'shadowed' a couple of dentists. Is that sufficient?

mins.
    part time work say 10 hours per week in a dental surgery

you'll need to finish your BSc course

ReputationRep:

mins.
    Shadowing a couple of dentists is sufficient, but ideally you should do a lot more to make your application stand out, - two weeks of work experience in a dental surgery is the absolute minimum you should do, any more is a bonus. Also, it'll give you a lot more to talk about at interview, as well as giving yourself a better idea of what your letting yourself in for.

ReputationRep:
    There is a course I think you would find helpful, I went on it last year. It's called Dentsitry Day, at the Uni of Liverpool. There are the usual lectures on Grades, Interviews, PS, but also a tour of the hospital with students in their final year and a chance to have a go at fillings in a set of plastic teeth, which was the best bit

Last year it was on the 27th August, or there-abouts, it cost £20, including a buffet lunch.

I put it in my PS (I didn't mention which uni it was at), it does look quite good as there are many medical courses but not dental. I was asked about it at my interviews and the plastic teeth I took along made a good talking point.

I guess I should really put this in the Dentistry subforum. If you want mroe info, ring Liverpool uni dental dept.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    you'll need to finish your BSc course[/QUOTE]

I dont quite understand that. Do you mean i would have to finish the BSc b4 applying? i thought i could ask my uni supervisor to predict me a grade and put that on the ucas form. Is that not allowed?

Mins

ReputationRep:
    I think you can just ask for a prediction but I'm not sure. E-mail the admissions office at the dental schools you are thinking of applying to and ask what they will accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seafood)
    Just follow the usual checklist for personal statement writing.
    [/PHP]

Personal statement chcklist? Sorry im new to this forum, where do i find the checklist?

mins.xx

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=nabzp][QUOTE=firebladez777.5]Applied to Kings/Bristol/Newcastle/Cambridge

If you read my first post...I have applied for MEDICINE!!!!

[/PHP]

Personal statement chcklist? Sorry im new to this forum, where do i find the checklist?

mins.xx
    from your centre,institution...... i asked for help with mine, there is a common structure that ought to be followed such as mentioning character, why you want to study dentistry for the next 5 years, what relevant work experience you have, what you learnt, why dentistry is for you,

everything has to be positive and really enhance your grammatical sentences in a manner that will inspire the admissions tutors - also get help on this, get it in WAY WAY WAY before the deadline whcih is something like october 15

ReputationRep:
    For Denstistry:

Birmingham Vs Manchester

Which would you choose?

mins.xx

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=nabzp]There is a course I think you would find helpful, I went on it last year. It's called Dentsitry Day, at the Uni of Liverpool. There are the usual lectures on Grades, Interviews, PS, but also a tour of the hospital with students in their final year and a chance to have a go at fillings in a set of plastic teeth, which was the best bit [PHP]

Sounds good. Thanks for that!

mins.xx

For Denstistry:

Birmingham Vs Manchester

Which would you choose?

mins.xx
    that question mirrors your lack of research, and tbh it's all about where you will want to study

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.