I think i'm falling for my straight friend... HELP!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

So here I am just having started Uni and everything's going swimmingly except for one thing...

I met someone awesome during freshers week, someone I consider to be a great friend, but I think i've fallen for him. I'm gay and he knows I am this way which he is so accepting of that it makes me like him even more.

I can't stop thinking about him, when i'm without him or I don't see him for a couple days I feel empty and hollow inside and I start crying. I sometimes sit in lectures thinking of him and this makes me smile, but then I get terribly sad at the fact we could never be together in that way, like ever, because he's about as straight as you can get despite admitting kissing dudes at some point in his life

He's super awesome- one of the most morally sound people i've ever met, we have a lot in common, not to mention he's rather good looking (his ears are so cute). I just can't get him out of my head.

We have been drinking together in our group of friends most nights we've been here and we often end up being the only ones who stay for last orders or the ones who separate from the group when they head home and go drinking elsewhere to get absolutely wasted together! I would guess this is just what friends who are becoming good friends end up doing though.

Any advice on how to stay friends and stop these thoughts i'm having?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So here I am just having started Uni and everything's going swimmingly except for one thing...

I met someone awesome during freshers week, someone I consider to be a great friend, but I think i've fallen for him. I'm gay and he knows I am this way which he is so accepting of that it makes me like him even more.

I can't stop thinking about him, when i'm without him or I don't see him for a couple days I feel empty and hollow inside and I start crying. I sometimes sit in lectures thinking of him and this makes me smile, but then I get terribly sad at the fact we could never be together in that way, like ever, because he's about as straight as you can get despite admitting kissing dudes at some point in his life

He's super awesome- one of the most morally sound people i've ever met, we have a lot in common, not to mention he's rather good looking (his ears are so cute). I just can't get him out of my head.

We have been drinking together in our group of friends most nights we've been here and we often end up being the only ones who stay for last orders or the ones who separate from the group when they head home and go drinking elsewhere to get absolutely wasted together! I would guess this is just what friends who are becoming good friends end up doing though.

Cheers
    honestly don't have any advice to help, just wanted to commiserate - I love my best friend of 8 years so much it hurts but she's straight so there's no way I'm telling her. I'm just grateful that she's in my life in whatever form, so I guess I've made my peace with my situation. still sucks though

(Original post by emilysmith268)
    honestly don't have any advice to help, just wanted to commiserate - I love my best friend of 8 years so much it hurts but she's straight so there's no way I'm telling her. I'm just grateful that she's in my life in whatever form, so I guess I've made my peace with my situation. still sucks though
    Cheers for the reply

I don't even know if I like him sexually or just romantically because he is an awesome guy, when i'm with him I just think "oh my god what an awesome human being" just thinking about how nice he is almost makes me want to cry and i've never felt this way about someone before.

ReputationRep:
    Well you've just met him so this is presumably the infatuation phase. Perhaps the longer you're friends with him the more these feelings will pass.

ReputationRep:
    You'll become a master, give it a few years.

(Original post by ckfeister)
    You'll become a master, give it a few years.
    I bloomin' well hope so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Well you've just met him so this is presumably the infatuation phase. Perhaps the longer you're friends with him the more these feelings will pass.
    It's all chemistry anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Cheers
    Everybody has this probem in life whether it is a straight guy liking a girl who they are friends with vice verca. The best way to overcome it is to find someone who is similar to him and you will more than likely forget about him but you definetly should not be thibking about him in lectures as it will be a distraction to you. There is nothing wrong in being just friends with a guy and the same goes for even girls; its okay to have a guy best friend without getting into a relationship with them.

(Original post by lmg1)
    Everybody has this probem in life whether it is a straight guy liking a girl who they are friends with vice verca. The best way to overcome it is to find someone who is similar to him and you will more than likely forget about him but you definetly should not be thibking about him in lectures as it will be a distraction to you. There is nothing wrong in being just friends with a guy and the same goes for even girls; its okay to have a guy best friend without getting into a relationship with them.
    I would guess so, it's hard not to think about him at the moment though

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.