Can unis see where else you've applied to?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    For a friend - she's applied for 4 medicine courses, but doesn't want to apply to a 5th choice for biomed or w/e because she thinks her medicine unis will be able to see this and will think she's not very committed to medicine.

I didn't think unis could see where else you've applied to - is my friend right?

ReputationRep:
    universities cannot see your other choices

ReputationRep:
    they dont know what other unis that you have applied to. they can only see your application to them.

ReputationRep:
    No universities cannot see where else you have applied to, and it is very common to apply for biomed as the 5th choice- pretty much every medicine applicant in my school has- so even if they could see she wouldn't even be disadvantaged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilysmith268)
    For a friend - she's applied for 4 medicine courses, but doesn't want to apply to a 5th choice for biomed or w/e because she thinks her medicine unis will be able to see this and will think she's not very committed to medicine.

I didn't think unis could see where else you've applied to - is my friend right?
    Given that you can only apply to 4 medicine courses, I think medical schools are well used to applicants choosing something else as a fifth choice.

And as above, they can't see your other choices until after you have accepted offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emduck)
    No universities cannot see where else you have applied to, and it is very common to apply for biomed as the 5th choice- pretty much every medicine applicant in my school has- so even if they could see she wouldn't even be disadvantaged.
    that's what I thought but she says that a medical person told her that they could idk???

ReputationRep:
    Its all entirely anonymous (I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere in the UCAS terms and conditions)

As long as her personal statement is broad enough to cover biomedicine too and isn't aimed specifically at a medicine course there shouldn't be any problems with that at all.

ReputationRep:
    that's what I thought but she says that a medical person told her that they could idk???
    They can only see once you have responded to any offers, which you can't do until you get responses from all universities, so in terms of getting offers it doesn't affect her, and as I said, since for medicine you can only apply for 4 universities, it is very common to choose biomed as a 5th so she wouldn't be disadvantaged anyway.
    http://university.which.co.uk/advice...ect-my-chances

ReputationRep:

Universities will know that she has applied for medicine from her PS.

They won't know the specifics until she chooses a firm/insurance choice in April next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Universities will know that she has applied for medicine from her PS.

They won't know the specifics until she chooses a firm/insurance choice in April next year
    so just to clarify, her having a medical-orientated application would affect the likelihood of her getting a place on the biomed course, but her applying for a biomed course won't affect the likelihood of her getting a place on the medicine courses?

ReputationRep:
    so just to clarify, her having a medical-orientated application would affect the likelihood of her getting a place on the biomed course, but her applying for a biomed course won't affect the likelihood of her getting a place on the medicine courses?
    Her applying for 4 medicine choices and one biomedical won't affect her chances on either course. It's what 90% of med applicants do.

Knowing that she's a med applicant and caring that she's a med applicant are not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Her applying for 4 medicine choices and one biomedical won't affect her chances on either course. It's what 90% of med applicants do.

Knowing that she's a med applicant and caring that she's a med applicant are not the same thing.
    ok, thank you!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.