The Student Room Group

Should I get a part time job or work as a volunteer?

I want to devote this coming summer to attaining work experience, particularly in the retail sector. Problem is, I don't know whether to find paid work, e.g. as a customer service assistant in a supermarket, or volunteer in my local charity shop. I've previously volunteered in a care home for 3 months. I'd imagine volunteering would my personal statement stand out more.

What do you think?
I personally would stick to volunteering as you mention it looks better, but maybe thats me because for some reason i don't like working for money (it's weird i know)
What are your reasons for volunteering? If it is for a uni application for example, go for it and do as much volunteering as possible, especially for the medical field (if that's what you want to do). As you've already volunteered before, for a substantial period, if you would like a bit of money I would suggest getting a part time job. Perhaps volunteer once a week at a hospice, or a charity shop where possible.
Reply 3
Original post by slowdive
What are your reasons for volunteering? If it is for a uni application for example, go for it and do as much volunteering as possible, especially for the medical field (if that's what you want to do). As you've already volunteered before, for a substantial period, if you would like a bit of money I would suggest getting a part time job. Perhaps volunteer once a week at a hospice, or a charity shop where possible.

Thanks for the advice, but may I say how creepy I think your avatar is o.O
Original post by honour
Thanks for the advice, but may I say how creepy I think your avatar is o.O

Haha, sorry to scare! It's an album cover (a really good album by the way) Are you applying to university for Medicine by any chance?
Reply 5
Original post by slowdive
Haha, sorry to scare! It's an album cover (a really good album by the way) Are you applying to university for Medicine by any chance?

Nope, won't be able to cope with all the hard work :smile:
I'm applying for Optometry, which is a subject allied to Medicine.
Original post by honour
I want to devote this coming summer to attaining work experience, particularly in the retail sector. Problem is, I don't know whether to find paid work, e.g. as a customer service assistant in a supermarket, or volunteer in my local charity shop. I've previously volunteered in a care home for 3 months. I'd imagine volunteering would my personal statement stand out more.

What do you think?

Cant you do a bit of both
If you are going to uni, the extra cash will come handy from doing a paid job. Uni life can be expensive, unless you are getting financial help. Good luck:smile:
It depends what your objective is and whats on offer.

Why do you need retail experience?

With retail I'd think you stand a good chance of getting something that offered relevant experience and get paid as well. Dont underestimate the utility of cash for enhancing your uni career. As suggested above you could always do both, but try and make the volunteer work more relevant to the exact experience you want.
Why do you want to do it? Just to get experience? If you're hoping it will open doors for future jobs, it's worth going for a paid role because some employers in the future might look more positively on a paid role compared to a voluntary role (even if it's basically the same thing). I've been told by a few people that for job applications (albeit for entry level/graduate roles) to use examples of paid work experience as much as possible, even though I was involved in tons of voluntary stuff at uni and did some things that I think are way more impressive, just because employers really favour someone who has practice experience in an employed role. You can do a bit of both also - most charity shops are pretty flexible and will let you work only 1 day a week if it works for you.
Hi,
i applied to work as a volunteer at the zoo park. I have an interview this Saturday. I was wondering what they ask at the interview for volunteers.

thanks
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending