Can a strong personal statement make up for grades?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    I've had my personal statement read by my teachers and they're all really happy with it, with one saying it's the best they've seen in years.

I've been predicted ABC, with my highest course asking for ABB. I had a significant amount of time off at AS due to a chronic illness that has fortunately been improving since the beginning of A2, which is something that my referee has mentioned in my application. Do you think I have chance? Any replies would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely do have a chance! If you have a strong GCSE profile, that gives you, even more, chance to get into uni. Have you considered universities such as UEA or Royal Holloway? They are quite easy to access, and they offer a range of courses at ABB/BBB

ReputationRep:
    I hope so.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you'll be just fine! I went to a Royal Holloway UCAS talk and the admissions tutor explained they look at 3 things; grades, reference and personal statement. If your grades are a little off but your reference and personal statement are strong you stand a good chance of getting in! I've also have heard of people who have just missed their grades but still ended up going to the university, usually a result of the personal statement and reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellavanderbilt)
    I've had my personal statement read by my teachers and they're all really happy with it, with one saying it's the best they've seen in years.

I've been predicted ABC, with my highest course asking for ABB. I had a significant amount of time off at AS due to a chronic illness that has fortunately been improving since the beginning of A2, which is something that my referee has mentioned in my application. Do you think I have chance? Any replies would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Remember that an ABB university is likely to make your offer ABB even if you're predicted lower grades.

It's up to you to decide if you are likely to outperform your predictions when you choose your firm choice (and to pick an insurance choice you would be happy with if you miss the offer and your firm don't accept you with lower grades).

ReputationRep:
    Email the universities you are thinking of applying to - tell them your circumstances, your predicted grades (highlight any work experience or stuff as well!) and your interest in studying in the course. Some universities will inform you that they will only consider you if you get the grades they specify, whilst others will suggest they may be more lenient if they receive a good personal statement. They may also be able to suggest some resources or aids which can definitely be a bonus! Definitely have an insurance choice with lower grades as a back up though just in case.
    Of course don't rely on your personal statement to get you in, study hard and you may be able to get higher grades than predicted, still contact the universities though and see, just to make sure. Research some courses for clearing just as a backup if you either don't make your firm and insurance offer, or decide against going for your insurance offer, as quite often a lot of universities will say they will only consider alternate/lower grades and such from an applicant who will be 21/21+ at the time of their application.

ReputationRep:
    I had the grades ABC when I applied for my course which has the requirement of AAB-ABB. I got an unconditional offer. My personal statement had impressed the admissions tutor. This was the University of Reading, which is a bit flexible. It's all to do with the uni and the course. For example, Exeter rejected me because I was 1 grade short (I needed ABB), because that course gets so many applicants they only accept those who get the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellavanderbilt)

Well done on a good personal statement (some people struggle with writing them).

You will be absolutely fine, don't worry ! I got into all five of my university choices with unconditional offers and my grades were not that good compared to yours. The uni will take into account your illness. Good Luck :-)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.