Computer Science EPQ and University

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Y12 and hoping to study computer science at Oxford in the future and I'm embarking on an EPQ project alongside studying Computing, Maths, Further Maths and Economics A Levels. I got 10A*, AS Level A in ICT and 1 B in English Lit at GCSE.

I am leaning towards doing a project for the EPQ as I think I'll get more experience in programming from this which will help me in the future. I currently have basic C# knowledge as this is what we are doing in class, however as I'm inexperienced is it worth doing this or should I just do a 5000 word essay instead?

I'm interested in focussing on either AI or maybe web or app development if I do a project or possibly something to do with women in computing or AI for a dissertation.

I have seen in some places that the project doesn't earn most the marks, research does and so which is the best idea? Also which would be best to do to impress universities (oxford in particular)? Please help

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I understand. Either way you have to write the essay so it's more a question of what you decide to write it on. You have plenty of time to work on it so pick something that interests you and you will have the time to get done and well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papayasxx)
    I'm in Y12 and hoping to study computer science at Oxford in the future and I'm embarking on an EPQ project alongside studying Computing, Maths, Further Maths and Economics A Levels. I got 10A*, AS Level A in ICT and 1 B in English Lit at GCSE.

I am leaning towards doing a project for the EPQ as I think I'll get more experience in programming from this which will help me in the future. I currently have basic C# knowledge as this is what we are doing in class, however as I'm inexperienced is it worth doing this or should I just do a 5000 word essay instead?

I'm interested in focussing on either AI or maybe web or app development if I do a project or possibly something to do with women in computing or AI for a dissertation.

I have seen in some places that the project doesn't earn most the marks, research does and so which is the best idea? Also which would be best to do to impress universities (oxford in particular)? Please help
    If you are inexperienced in programming, maybe you should use the EPQ as a chance to improve your programming skills, and get more experience.

We (at Oxford) do not use EPQs as part of an offer. However, EPQs can be a good thing to write about in your personal statement, and can be interesting to discuss in an interview. In my experience, those discussions are most interesting when the candidate has done a project that he/she has been enthusiastic about, and has learnt a lot from.

Put another way: we are more interested in what you learn from doing the EPQ than the mark that you get from it.

Here's a specific idea that you might consider. You could consider writing a program to solve some sort of puzzle, e.g. sudoku, kakuro, etc. This would involve researching about some of the search algorithms used in AI, and then implementing them to solve the puzzle.

Gavin

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.