a level maths Watch

This discussion is closed.
anonymous
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i am doing as level maths this year but need to do a2 also. because my school cannot timetable this i was wonderin if anyone could advise me on how many hours a week to spend on the a2. also has anyone been in a similar situation (havin 2 teach themselves)?? i'm so worried i'll never be able 2 do this!!
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by anonymous)
i am doing as level maths this year but need to do a2 also. because my school cannot timetable this i was wonderin if anyone could advise me on how many hours a week to spend on the a2. also has anyone been in a similar situation (havin 2 teach themselves)?? i'm so worried i'll never be able 2 do this!!
Do as much as you think you need. Concentrate on the important areas eg calculus but give time to all topics. Make sure you do plenty of exam practice. At school I had 3 hours a week plus 1/2 hours homework and this was more than enough to finish the course and get plenty of revision done
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
spend ur whole life on it. maths is very importatn. witouht it u will die
bloodhound
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
math will do u good in the future
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by anonymous)
I had about 3 hours in school, and probably spent on average another 4 hours minimum on it at home, and that is probably an understatement. not tryin to put ya off but it is well hard and v time consuming to master.

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)
I had about 3 hours in school, and probably spent on average another 4 hours minimum on it at home, and that is probably an understatement. not tryin to put ya off but it is well hard and v time consuming to master.

Phil
So d'ya not reckon i'd be able to cope with a personal tutor for a2? this would be 2 hrs a week and then teachin myself the rest of the a2 syllabus. i'm not very worried about as cos i'll be taught that in school. i just dont wanna start doin the a2 myself and find that it's 2 difficult and waste all that time when i have 4 other subjects to be workin at!!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
So d'ya not reckon i'd be able to cope with a personal tutor for a2? this would be 2 hrs a week and then teachin myself the rest of the a2 syllabus. i'm not very worried about as cos i'll be taught that in school. i just dont wanna start doin the a2 myself and find that it's 2 difficult and waste all that time when i have 4 other subjects to be workin at!!
I had a minimum of 2 hours of tutoring a week in addition to school just for AS, so I'm guessing it'll be even harder for A2, but I suppose
if you work hard and are good at maths you could be alright, but if possible I would suggest trying to do the coursde at school

Phil
gollum
Report 15 years ago
i just dont wanna start doin the a2 myself and find that it's 2 difficult and waste all that time when i have 4 other subjects to be workin at!!
i think a2 maths is really do-able wihtout a teacher. i can never "understand" maths... like when the teacher talks (or used to talk) about something (a maths topic ofcourse) it went thru one ear and out the other. I can only learn thru WORKED EXAMPLES!

Basically, find a textbook with many worked examples and do many, many questions (which have fully worked solutions that you can look up) and that way you wont need a tutor.
dee
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gollum)
i think a2 maths is really do-able wihtout a teacher. i can never "understand" maths... like when the teacher talks (or used to talk) about something (a maths topic ofcourse) it went thru one ear and out the other. I can only learn thru WORKED EXAMPLES!

Basically, find a textbook with many worked examples and do many, many questions (which have fully worked solutions that you can look up) and that way you wont need a tutor.

thanx, any recommendations?? i'm doin aqa spec a.

d xx
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I reckon you'll probs still need a tutor, as there's bound to be some topics you don't understand, and even if you think you do, a tutor can show you a faster/better method often.

Phil
dee
Report 15 years ago

but do you think that a2 is do-able without a teacher and without already doin as level? (so doin as and a2 at the same time)
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dee)
but do you think that a2 is do-able without a teacher and without already doin as level? (so doin as and a2 at the same time)
People who do further maths basically do AS + A2 in 1 year, but it should be said they are usually mathematical gods, and have lots of time with teachers in very small classes, and even then must work enormously by themselves.

Phil
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)
People who do further maths basically do AS + A2 in 1 year, but it should be said they are usually mathematical gods, and have lots of time with teachers in very small classes, and even then must work enormously by themselves.

Phil
Not strictly true. Our class has 20 people in it - more than most nearer maths groups. We get 6/7 hours a week lesson time, a lot of people on here get 4/5/6 for just single maths. We were required to do no theory on our own, just practice homeworks which took 1/2 hours. And still we finished with plenty of time to spare. It is definitely doable, hard at the beginning but it gets easier. ps the mathematical god thing is correct tho
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
Not strictly true. Our class has 20 people in it - more than most nearer maths groups. We get 6/7 hours a week lesson time, a lot of people on here get 4/5/6 for just single maths. We were required to do no theory on our own, just practice homeworks which took 1/2 hours. And still we finished with plenty of time to spare. It is definitely doable, hard at the beginning but it gets easier. ps the mathematical god thing is correct tho
And they're modest also!!! Sorry about being wrong, I was just talikn about people in my school

Phil
gollum
Report 15 years ago
dee,

For me, my teachers gave me a pack of 12 past papers and marking schemes for each module... that way not only do you get used to the exam question style (it is really important that you do cos you'll be under time pressure) and also you get tons of practice (and the marking schemes tell you all the methods than can gain you marks, so you can really learn from them).

i'd say:
1) read the text book throughly (and try some questions in the textbook... if you can't do them, DON't be demoralised. I decided to do 3 A Levels in maths and had to study 3 modules by myself and i found that i simply couldn't do all the questions in the textbook but then ended up with As in all those modules.
2) work thru 7 past papers, looking at the marking schemes if you get stuck
3)do the other 5 under exam conditions

Finally, I think doing both AS and A2 is quite possible in one year.
dee
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)

Phil
well i am certainly NO MATHEMATICAL GOD!!(unfortunately) i'd say i was quite intelligent, but nothing special! i just got straight A's for my as levels which i hear is not unusual. i wanted to do maths last year but my school could not timetable all my subjects. so now, if i wanna do economics at uni, i should really do a level maths. although not every uni asks for this i have been told it will be invaluable preparation. however, with all the horror stories i hear about as level maths, i'm worryin and really dont know whether i will be capable of doing a2 myself, or if it will bring down my other subjects. i dunno whether to just do the as level and forget about a2!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dee)
well i am certainly NO MATHEMATICAL GOD!!(unfortunately) i'd say i was quite intelligent, but nothing special! i just got straight A's for my as levels which i hear is not unusual. i wanted to do maths last year but my school could not timetable all my subjects. so now, if i wanna do economics at uni, i should really do a level maths. although not every uni asks for this i have been told it will be invaluable preparation. however, with all the horror stories i hear about as level maths, i'm worryin and really dont know whether i will be capable of doing a2 myself, or if it will bring down my other subjects. i dunno whether to just do the as level and forget about a2!
I'd go for just the AS and say on your UCAS that you weren't able to do maths at school due to timetabling etc.

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Take my advise. I did maths as and a2 in a mere 5 months (started in jan and did exam in June) and ended up with not only an A grade but 581 points out of 600 (P1 - 3 and M1 -3 edexcel). What I noticed is that u shood look to absolutely "pulverize" the AS modules (aim for all 300 marks possible if u are aiming for an A grade) once that happens uve absolutely no pressure whatsoever on the a2 modules. Also its not as hard as u think. I was really afraid that i was going to mess up M3 and P3. and I got 100 and 98 respectivly. the main thing is to believe u can do it.s u will notice initially that u r going on a wild goose chase, but a day will come wen it all falls into place and u see the light at the end of the tunnel. as for study time I studied whenever I could, i dunno if ya find the subject interesting but I found it so interesting i ended up studying for 8 hours in a row on one of the days(I wasnt tired i was enjoying it!)
dee
Report 15 years ago
Take my advise. I did maths as and a2 in a mere 5 months (started in jan and did exam in June) and ended up with not only an A grade but 581 points out of 600 (P1 - 3 and M1 -3 edexcel). What I noticed is that u shood look to absolutely "pulverize" the AS modules (aim for all 300 marks possible if u are aiming for an A grade) once that happens uve absolutely no pressure whatsoever on the a2 modules. Also its not as hard as u think. I was really afraid that i was going to mess up M3 and P3. and I got 100 and 98 respectivly. the main thing is to believe u can do it.s u will notice initially that u r going on a wild goose chase, but a day will come wen it all falls into place and u see the light at the end of the tunnel. as for study time I studied whenever I could, i dunno if ya find the subject interesting but I found it so interesting i ended up studying for 8 hours in a row on one of the days(I wasnt tired i was enjoying it!)
yeah but are you a 'mathematical genius' cos i am definatelt not! what did u get at gcse maths?

also, how many other as/a2 levels were you studying for at the time?

d xx
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dee)
yeah but are you a 'mathematical genius' cos i am definatelt not! what did u get at gcse maths?

also, how many other as/a2 levels were you studying for at the time?

d xx
I know that question wasn't asked of me, but in case it helps, I got A at GCSE, and and A at AS maths, and plan to do it to A2. I do 3 other full subects for AS and will continue them all to A2.

Phil
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (78)
30.23%
No - I got the required grades (147)
56.98%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.79%

Watched Threads