Low mood?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

For the past couple of weeks I've had extremely low mood. I get like this every now and again and it's really starting to bother me.

It's like I feel numb, I'm extremely irritable and often struggle to pull myself out of bed. The things that would usually perk me up and make me happy don't have the same impact anymore. I'll be happy during the activity or whatever and then after, once I'm back home, the mood returns.
    I've been having periods like this since I was roughly 14/15 and I've never thought of it as anything of concern but my parents are now noticing a difference in me and that's when I get worried. This year has been a particularly difficult year so I'm assuming that is why this time it's worse, but I just want to go back to normal. In previous years my mum wanted to take me to my GP about it but I didn't want to waste her time.

I'm not sure what I'm wanting from this post tbh, but it feels good to type it out. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to improve my mood or anything I can do to fix this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll be happy during the activity or whatever and then after, once I'm back home, the mood returns.
    so it sounds as if your home life is getting you down. is something happening? arguments with or between parents/siblings?

(Original post by Allie4)
    so it sounds as if your home life is getting you down. is something happening? arguments with or between parents/siblings?
    Nothing like that, I don't always get along with my parents but we're actually getting along better than usual at the moment. No siblings to argue with.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing like that, I don't always get along with my parents but we're actually getting along better than usual at the moment. No siblings to argue with.
    in that case it sounds like mild depression. how much are you getting out?

ReputationRep:
    One thing I can advise is: go for walks. If you're not already, that is

ReputationRep:
    (Especially in green, wooded areas, if you can)

(Original post by Allie4)
    in that case it sounds like mild depression. how much are you getting out?
    I'm out most days of the week. I'm at uni and have a part time job, I also go out with friends and I dance.

(Original post by Treblebee)
    One thing I can advise is: go for walks. If you're not already, that is
    I'll give it a try and see if it helps! So fed up of this I'll try anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm out most days of the week. I'm at uni and have a part time job, I also go out with friends and I dance.
    work and uni can be stressful, going out with friends can be a nice way to blow off steam but its still a joint effort that you have to put in. try doing something for yourself

agree with what someone else said, go for walks. do things by yourself like go shopping/window shopping. maybe do a bit of travelling around your area. and when you're at home find therapeutic or relaxing things to do, take up a hobby or watch things on youtube. anything to take your mind off stuff. been there myself and a distraction was really what i needed.

Sigh, I've been where you are currently. I have always had issues with depression and anxiety but I kept saying to myself "if i died right now id be so pissed because i didn't achieve what i wanted to achieve"

Yesterday I caught myself saying "if i died right now i really wouldnt care"

So yea, things are getting pretty bad on my end.

I think you could try saying the first phrase to yourself to help boost your passion to get things done and move closer to a goal you have.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.