Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Note first that I do not necessarily agree with this - I'm a girl, anyway. But, this is what's started it:

The Argument so far:
    • My brother says that maths, chemistry and physics are the most 'intelligent' subjects, more boys take them and excel in them, therefore men are more intelligent than girls.
    • News articles (just google the thread title) show that in IQ tests, men seem to score 4-5 points higher than women.
    • Most technological triumphs and scientific discoveries in the past have been made by males.

On the other hand...
    • People have said that men tend to excel more in their chosen fields because men can be more obssessive about their subject - i.e. the example of a man who took 6 years to study locust legs.
    • Up until fairly recently, women were not encouraged to attend university, or further education.
    • Biologically speaking, women tend to be more affected by the nurture instinct, and are much more likely to dump careers or research to have children.
    • Most IQ tests will have been made by white males, so, logically, it would follow that white males would score higher.

Anyway - I just want to see what people think. I think my brother's a sexist pig. But there you go.

Oh, and just for some eye candy, here's a picture of an intelligent man -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BornUnderPunches)
    [*]Most technological triumphs and scientific discoveries in the past have been made by males.

Mainly because women stayed at home and looked after the kids and didn't work - in the past.

Girls however do better in exam results...

But hey, I'm not gonna argue, both have their strengths!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and just for some eye candy, here's a picture of an intelligent man

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by symphonic)

:ditto:

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ Whaaaaat? He's hot.
    It's an incentive to make me check the thread more often.

ReputationRep:
    I searched 'hot intelligent guy' on google and got this:

ReputationRep:

:hitit:

ReputationRep:
    I searched 'hot intelligent guy' on google and got this:

ReputationRep:
    The picture is of Richard Dawkins, by the way, if anyone didn't catch that.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm I'm more into this intelligent man:
    http://delivery.viewimages.com/xv/51...7F63262E6EFFE5
    (Bill Rancic from The Apprentice USA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lola_Stars*)
    Mmm I'm more into this intelligent man:
    http://delivery.viewimages.com/xv/51...7F63262E6EFFE5
    (Bill Rancic from The Apprentice USA)

Ewwww...
    Dawkins is far hotter.

Anyway, we're getting off topic.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    My brother says that maths, chemistry and physics are the most 'intelligent' subjects, more boys take them and excel in them, therefore men are more intelligent than girls.
    I find that quite amusing since you can't evidently compare subjects by level of intelligence required to study them. That's rediculous. Additionally, maths (which falls under the logical-mathematical intelligence) is only one of 8 different forms of intelligence. The others being: Linguistic intelligence (ability to learn languages easily and communicate with words well), Spatial intelligence (an artistic and creative mind), Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence (body related), Musical intelligence (music), Interpersonal intelligence, Intrapersonal intelligence and Naturalist intelligence. (if you want to know more about these, then look it up on google). My point is, if you are to compare males and females on level of intelligence, then you have to take all these into consideration. Otherwise the conclusion will never be justified.

Searched "really hot intellectual guy" on google

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ I agree. But he's stubborn.

ReputationRep:
    I think youre wrong, men just happen to brag about their intelligence more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BornUnderPunches)
    • Most IQ tests will have been made by white males, so, logically, it would follow that white males would score higher.
    So does that mean non white males would score less than white females? Or that its only in the white race that males are clever than females and in other races females are cleverer than males?:confused:? I don't understand why you bought race into the topic because now you have opened Pandora's box and this will fall into a race thread

ReputationRep:
    What it comes down to is that numerical intelligence is the most recognised by academic societies.

ReputationRep:
    I think youre wrong, men just happen to brag about their intelligence more.
    Who's wrong? This isn't what -I- think. this is what my stupid brother thinks.

And about the race thing - I was just quoting a newspaper article. The thread isn't about race. But, rather than race, where in the world a person is from is going to affect their scores. Culturally speaking. But - as I say - not talking about race.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think you're brother is wrong then.
    I don't see how you can compare the two genders anyway, we're both better at different things.

ReputationRep:
    No way!

My thoughts:

"My brother says that maths, chemistry and physics are the most 'intelligent' subjects, more boys take them and excel in them, therefore men are more intelligent than girls."
    How are they more intelligent subjects? I'm intrigued to hear from your brother.

"News articles (just google the thread title) show that in IQ tests, men seem to score 4-5 points higher than women."

Agree with a range of comments from this article:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183166.stm
    Moreover, an IQ test is hardly a great measure of overall intelligence.

"Most technological triumphs and scientific discoveries in the past have been made by males."

In the past, many women were not listened to, nor given the opportunity to make such discoveries.

This person sums up what I think:
    All this discussion is fairly irrelevant. Men and women have different and also some similar skills but we are all genetically programmed for survival, together. Basically we need teamwork and to be able to work to each other's strengths and minimise our collective weaknesses in order to make any progress in future. Divisive talk about who is better than who is pointless and smacks of political correctness.
    Richard, Worksop
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My brother says that maths, chemistry and physics are the most 'intelligent' subjects, more boys take them and excel in them, therefore men are more intelligent than girls.
    And when you ask why maths, chemistry, and physics are the most "intelligent" subjects, does he say it's because more boys take them?

If your brother is any older than ten, he's a moron.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.