Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Richard from Worksop sounds like a dependable guy.

ReputationRep:
    hasnt it been proved that blacks are better at sport in general, and that jews are better at maths in general?

If so, it's not inconceivable that men are smarter than women in general...or indeed that women are smarter than men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lola_Stars*)
    In the past, many women were not listened to, nor given the opportunity to make such discoveries.
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lola_Stars*)
    No way!
    Agree with a range of comments from this article:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183166.stm
    Moreover, an IQ test is hardly a great measure of overall intelligence.
    IQ - Intelligence quotient - measure overall intelligence is exactly what its designed to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BornUnderPunches)

Oh, and just for some eye candy, here's a picture of an intelligent man -
    *giggles* Just in case you men didn't get it, we're all shallow. We look at Richard but we don't have a clue what he's on about *giggles*

Don't get haughty OP, I'm just messin'

ReputationRep:
    He's 19. He says they're what Oxford/Cambridge consider to be the most challenging/respect the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisRH)
    IQ - Intelligence quotient - measure overall intelligence is exactly what its designed to do...
    It has been asserted over and over again that IQ, indeed, is hardly a worthy indication of one's overall intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesard)
    It has been asserted over and over again that IQ, indeed, is hardly a worthy indication of one's overall intelligence.
    Would you agree its a fairly accurate indication of how successful one has the potential to be in modern society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesard)
    *giggles* Just in case you men didn't get it, we're all shallow. We look at Richard but we don't have a clue what he's on about *giggles*

Don't get haughty OP, I'm just messin'
    Oh, it's OK - he is a very interesting man, but if he weren't so damned hot I doubt I'd be searching youtube for him. I must've watched hours of documentaries in the last few days.

ReputationRep:
    And im supposed to just take your word for that?
    Oh and for every link supporting your argument online, there will be atleast an equal number of opposing articles.
    At any rate girls generally perfom better during GCSE's, although i think that has alot more to do with maturity.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see your fascination with this guy :|

ReputationRep:
    Would you agree its a fairly accurate indication of how successful one has the potential to be in modern society?
    i reckon IQ and intelligence is probably an indication, or a correlation - but I think 5 points makes virtually no difference - it even says on one of the articles that up 25 points can be due to environmental factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m90)
    Girls however do better in exam results
    I knew someone would say this and there is a reason for that.

Boys benefit more from practical lessons because the knowledge sticks in our head more when we are doing something instead of just sitting there taking notes. For example, 50 years ago, teachers would get a pig's heart from the local butchers and ask you to disect it so you can learn about how the heart works. Now boys would benefit more from a lesson like this since we are seeing it with our own eyes instead of in diagrams in books or on TV.

These days however are devoted to learning out of the book and doing less practical experiments, and since girls benefit more from this style of teaching, its no wonder that girls get better exam results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Definitely more so than it is an indication of one's intelligence. The very first IQ score I achieved was 122, whereas now I'm given to scoring much higher. It's not because I've suddenly jumped twenty IQ points and, therefore, am so much cleverer; I only figured out what the test wanted from me. So, in answer to your question: yes. I would agree with that statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)

These days however are devoted to learning out of the book and doing less practical experiments, and since girls benefit more from this style of teaching, its no wonder that girls get better exam results.
    It is also no wonder that boys, in the past, did so much better than girls and, therefore, notched up many more firsts and bests in the world
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Dude)
    I knew someone would say this and there is a reason for that.

Boys benefit more from practical lessons because the knowledge sticks in our head more when we are doing something instead of just sitting there taking notes. For example, 50 years ago, teachers would get a pig's heart from the local butchers and ask you to disect it so you can learn about how the heart works. Now boys would benefit more from a lesson like this since we are seeing it with our own eyes instead of in diagrams in books or on TV.

50 years ago huh?

I only finished school two years ago, and I seem to remember dissecting various creatures (or at least standing back and letting the rest of my group do it).

ReputationRep:
    Even though Girls outperform boys in gcses
    I reckon this is because of the fact that they put more effort into it/ take it more seriously
    especially with coursework, males arent designed to be planned and organised, but more spontanous and leave things to when they have to be done.
    I believe that the potentual in GCSE's if both males and females took them life seriously and put maximum effort into them, would probably be very even.
    And im sure that intelligence must be defined using potentual.

As for IQ tests, I dont believe they are accurate because it seems fairly obvious that males will be more logical thinking based, eg maths and side of the square missing
    which arent necessarily skills a female has, but they have other ones

I believe that the sexes are matched for intelligence, at least potentual intelligence because I haven't seen any evidence to point out otherwise

apart from men seem to have more commen sense and pratical skills for example driving
    Lol only kidding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Why not?
    Don't ask me! Instead, ask the sexist male pigs who ran the world at that time. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've always been curious to know why girls find physics unappealing. Physics and engineering courses, both in sixth form and in university, have like... barely any girls. :confused:

Can any girls answer this? Why would physics be less appealing than chemistry or biology? Personally I absolutely love physics more than the other two just because I prefer using mathematics to explain things in depth. But I don't understand why physical sciences are such a deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    I've always been curious to know why girls find physics unappealing. Physics and engineering courses, both in sixth form and in university, have like... barely any girls. :confused:

Can any girls answer this? Why would physics be less appealing than chemistry or biology? Personally I absolutely love physics more than the other two just because I prefer using mathematics to explain things in depth. But I don't understand why physical sciences are such a deterrent.
    I always found astronomy quite interesting but we never really covered this at school.

I think it could be because it's seen as a more masculine subject - i.e. girls are seen as more caring, sensitive - so they might do English, etc. whereas guys see science and engineering as being more manly.

Lots of guys I know would laugh and snort at the thought of studying poetry, for example. they are all 'tards, though.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.