Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    All ive got to say is:
    http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU

ReputationRep:
    Whether men are more intelligent than women, women are more intelligent than men or both genders are of equal intelligence depends entirely on what one counts as intelligence and how one measures it. Clearly men are, on average, better at some mental activities while women are, on average, better at others. Discussing whether men are more intelligent than women or vice versa seems fairly pointless until a definition (or several) are given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more adventurous)
    50 years ago huh?

I only finished school two years ago, and I seem to remember dissecting various creatures (or at least standing back and letting the rest of my group do it).
    Well you are one of the few then, I don't know of any schools that still did dissecting in this country at least. I know they still do it in America, but I thought that here it was stopped years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Girl power!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Dude)
    Well you are one of the few then, I don't know of any schools that still did dissecting in this country at least. I know they still do it in America, but I thought that here it was stopped years ago.
    I did it in America and in a British school in Hong Kong.

ReputationRep:
    The thing about discoveries being male dominated is rather obvious. Academia through history has been about the most male dominated profession i can think of until relatively recently (but i would still say that it is still largely male dominated). Women have only been gaining social equality in fairly recent times.

That said, females do better in exams than males in school, yet statistically i heard males catch up at university and there is either no difference or males do better.

I think intelligence is subjective and i dont consider spending your life in a laboratory as a sign of intelligence...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more adventurous)
    I did it in America and in a British school in Hong Kong.
    in our school (london state school) we dissect hearts, kidneys, eyeballs, and for some reason, flowers.:rolleyes:

(Original post by TRM90)
    I've always been curious to know why girls find physics unappealing. Physics and engineering courses, both in sixth form and in university, have like... barely any girls.
    I found physics unappealing mainly because all the physics teachers are male, and the text books don't make any effort to be interesting. English is multi-faceted, so there's always another area to look at.
    Bu the thing that really annoyed me about the sciences was that all the stuff we were studying was not only repeated, but it was often outdated and years behind the actual stuff that was happening on the cutting edge of science.
    Maybe you could explain why boys generally don't like poetry and literature, which are almost all girls' subjects in my school.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.