Turn on thread page Beta

OP, i wouldn't let it get to you. However i'm shocked that some people on here are encouraging you to segregate yourself from white people. You shouldn't do that, in fact you shouldn't have to do that. It doesn't help that there's terrorists (Who, like you have said arn't indian, but just have brown skin) blowing stuff up, that's the problem i think in many cases uneducated white people are 'scared' to associate themselves with people that 'look like' terrorists (It annoys me when you get people assuming that if you're brown skinned then you're a terrorist.)

That said, all the asian people i'm friends with are very friendly, accepting and have adjusted to a life in Briton, although i'm not blaming you specifically (you seem like a nice person) I do think that some (Not all, don't spaz out) Asians do come to Briton and try to build their own communities and segregate themselves from 'white people' I don't think it's fair to assume that it is only white people that can be racist.

Love DP.

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely believe that racism stems from not only ignorance, but from a basic lack of intelligence and education.

I totally pity racists, so should you OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiscoPirate)
    OP, i wouldn't let it get to you. However i'm shocked that some people on here are encouraging you to segregate yourself from white people. You shouldn't do that, in fact you shouldn't have to do that. It doesn't help that there's terrorists (Who, like you have said arn't indian, but just have brown skin) blowing stuff up, that's the problem i think in many cases uneducated white people are 'scared' to associate themselves with people that 'look like' terrorists (It annoys me when you get people assuming that if you're brown skinned then you're a terrorist.)

That said, all the asian people i'm friends with are very friendly, accepting and have adjusted to a life in Briton, although i'm not blaming you specifically (you seem like a nice person) I do think that some (Not all, don't spaz out) Asians do come to Briton and try to build their own communities and segregate themselves from 'white people' I don't think it's fair to assume that it is only white people that can be racist.

Love DP.
    I don't think anybody is assuming that. I suggested that she moved away from the area so she would feel more comfortable and wouldn't have to put up with the racism. Not completely segregate herself from 'white people'. I think that's what most people are trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    I agree entirely with DP, and I'd just like to add that please, don't view all 'white' people like that - I'm not saying you do, I'm just saying please don't let people like that make your view of 'white' people negative - I'm 'white' myself and I can't stand rascism, it angers me to think that people can be so rude about others on the basis of their skin coulor. It's just stupidity, really. I really can't find any words to express how mad these people make me. :mad:

xx

(Original post by blackswan)
    I think if your living in a main stream "white society" you just have to come to terms with it.
    together with you saying that every asian smells in another thread i think its safe to judge you..

ReputationRep:
    While I might not be able to advise you on receiving racial abuse, I can definitely sympathise with you. I'm English and this is the sort of thing that makes me mad because you're a human being like the rest of us, and yet you don't get the respect you deserve. Just the very act of someone talking about other races and ethnic minorities in a disrespectful way gets me pissed off. You can definitely call it bullying and I think the best thing to do when you're being harrassed or bullied is to treat them as if they don't exist. Just blank them because then they haven't got what they wanted to achieve, and the longer you ignore them for the more likely they are to get off your back.

If they are just chavs like you say they are then they are probably the ones that are most likely to give you grief. The reason why no one else will back you up on places like the bus is because people can be unwilling to get involved these days.

ReputationRep:
    I think if your living in a main stream "white society" you just have to come to terms with it.
    lol i dont think so, no one should have to tolerate ANY sort of racial abuse, wheather its a white person insulting an indian or an indian insulting a white person.

how ignorant of u.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mangaroo)
    together with you saying that every asian smells in another thread i think its safe to judge you..
    Ignore her, she's shown herself to be insensitive and naive numerous times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    *******s does he. Why should anybody be expected to accept racial discrimination?
    well if you don't except it then your in denial.

it all depends on the person and the situation whether you should do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by negated enigma)
    well if you don't except it then your in denial.

it all depends on the person and the situation whether you should do anything about it.
    Do you mean accept it, as in believe it happens and not try to deny it, or accept it, as in 'OK things like this happens I'll just have to put up with it'? Because if you mean the latter then that's wrong. Rascism is not a fact of life and no one should have to put up with it.

xx

ReputationRep:
    yep, hands down the most idiotic comment i have ever read on TSR
    seriously WTF?

Spose you would also moan about asians segregating themselves.

OP - I wouldn't let it get you down.

i was on the bus the other and im indian the driver was indian too and some chav called him a paki for not letting him on free in the rain...totally unneccessary but i just smiled since my family always pity people like him who are ethnically from this country and have everything at their finger tips but still are at the bottom. Whereas our grandparents came here with nothing, worked hard and now live in nice houses with nice cars and have their sons and daughters educated- i remember my grandad saying he came to this country with nothing, worked day and night was spat on and had fights every other night but it was all worth it since now were even living better than many white people with well and firmly established communities. havent you got some bredrin lol i remember in my ends if an asian person was ever attacked by a white person all the asians would help him, mind you if you live in a white area just carry on with your business and ignore them i suggest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Do you mean accept it, as in believe it happens and not try to deny it, or accept it, as in 'OK things like this happens I'll just have to put up with it'? Because if you mean the latter then that's wrong. Rascism is not a fact of life and no one should have to put up with it.

xx
    i mean it seems obvious that they have been subjected to racial abuse at the hands of racists. being the obvious minority since its a mostly white area, and there are active racially driven activity against them.

advice and help for these situations all depends and needs to be applied to the individuels personal lifestyle. yes racism is always wrong but when making decisions on how to act upon this you have to think about the reactions for actions, i.e choosing to exchange words with these people will that lead to violence upon the indivuduel concerned (the op) or they're family for instance.

for example if i tried to apply this to myself , if i was to walk through lets just say moss side or longsight(msotly afro carrabean or pakistani/ indian etc) and i was to verbally abused because of my skin colour, would it be wiser to walk on or to confront this racism. if the latter i could be attacked physically if they knew where i lived in that area my family could suffer further abuse because of my previous confrontation.

i would think and hope that there are people in your area that sympathise with what is happening and would be shocked and apalled by soem of the incidents.

it come across as an area that has lacked social intergration between them selves and other cultures. the hardened racist will never change and you can report them to the police or deal with it in your own right or ignore them.

i can only hope that these people are the minority and that things get better as it seems there has been some fairly extreme cases of racism and real hate here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Whereas our grandparents came here with nothing, worked hard and now live in nice houses with nice cars and have their sons and daughters educated- i remember my grandad saying he came to this country with nothing, worked day and night was spat on and had fights every other night but it was all worth it since now were even living better than many white people with well and firmly established communities. havent you got some bredrin lol i remember in my ends if an asian person was ever attacked by a white person all the asians would help him, mind you if you live in a white area just carry on with your business and ignore them i suggest

exactly the same with my grandad and so many others, came here with nothing. Many just after the partician, worked day and night because the British were begging for jobs to be filled, filled those jobs, paid for a house etc, sent money back home. Indians have built business' from nothing, now my generation get all the benefits of that, and a lot of people cant work out how it was done. Think about that next time you go to a corner shop with the old Indian man behind the counter and what he has probably been through. Though im sure many of you know this, the ones who don't should b told. We're good citizens and should be treated as such.

ReputationRep:
    a chinese dude got shouted at for being a paki recently.

That's how stupid/ignorant much of the country is.

Suggestion: save up, learn french and move to switzerland when you can. much more open minded and respectful there.

(Original post by ToysRUs)
    That's how stupid/ignorant much of the country is.
    What an uneducated comment.

I highly doubt that 'much of the country' would make that kind of misconception.

ReputationRep:
    also, it helps if you move out of the chav slums.

all of them (yes, ALL) aren't educated, in addition they have gripes with ethnic minorities who work hard getting more pay and hence living a better life than the wasters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiscoPirate)
    What an uneducated comment.

I highly doubt that 'much of the country' would make that kind of misconception.
    there's no evidence to suggest otherwise, eh?

wow, i thought nobody was going to reply! thanks for all the posts, i actually live in colchester in essex - i dont think the place is ridiculously racist, just the bit where i live which could actually be described as middle class suburb. what people have said is right, there are just a whole bunch of chavs who live near me and really its just chavs who say stupid comments. so far i havent really retaliated to what people have said but i am finding it harder to just stay quiet - i know it would really upset my mum if i was to get in a fight or something like that and if i got in trouble with the police or anything that would really ruin my chances of getting into university so i am probably not going to do anything when someone says something, just sit there in my quiet hatred lol
    i have talked to my parents about all the stuff said in my first post, etc and they definitley dont want to move or anything as they have their jobs/friends/relatives etc round here so you know, that isnt really and option
    they tell me that this is just the way the world is lol, and that there are bad people' everywhere, so i guess i am just going to have to get used to all this **** until i can move out myself
    again, thanks for all the comments, it is good to know some people do care, i felt like i couldnt really talk about all this stuff with my friends that much as most of them are white and i didnt want to make them feel really uncomfortable with all my 'damn those white racists!' talk
    i know i shouldnt generalise people, because i hate being generalised myself and stereotypes but its difficult sometimes - sorry if this post is just a big paragraph full of constant repetition, i am really greatful to what everyone has said and yeah, i think i just probably need to vent my frustrations on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nase14_aldayz)
    We're good citizens and should be treated as such.
    Obviously, but try telling racist scum that. They don't understand reason or logic, just skin colour and what the Sun* says.

*substitute for Daily Mail if they have a GCSE in english.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.