Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by ToysRUs)
    there's no evidence to suggest otherwise, eh?

What the hell?

Are you seriously suggesting that the majority of the public can't tell the difference between Chinese people and Pakistani people?

ReputationRep:
    lol, people can obviously tell the difference between a chinese person and a pakistani person, but to these people anyone who isnt white is a paki apparently.

ReputationRep:
    To the OP...

In your position i know exactly what i'd do to those neighbours of yours, but it probably isnt wise. Did you show that you had taken offence? Personally i think this is another problem minorities face. Often we're too happy to accept abuse, which in my opinion only makes it worse.

When you had the abuse sprayed on your door, did you contact the police/authorities? And what did they do?

ReputationRep:
    you clearly live in an area full of inbred mongrels. i would say stand up to them, but then not everyone can do that, and the best thing is to take it, even though you shouldnt. persoanlly i just feel sorry for them, to have such little understanding of the outside world and the variety and richness of other religions and races. funny thing even more hypocritical, they still listen to music by other races, and eat food originating from toher races. they are just a bunch of inbred mongrels and feel happy in the fact you are superior than them.

ReputationRep:
    I am Indian and haven't had a racist comment thrown at me in a long time, I remember visiting a friend just outside London and whilst walking along the pavement I had racial abuse thrown at me from people in cars on three occasions, not just white people as some would assume but one of the people shouting abuse was black. Where I live is a predominately white area but I have never experianced racism where I live or at school.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I agree with a lot of the comments about a racist element in English society, although calling it 'NF' is ludicrous, these are ignorant and ill-informed opinions. Giving them ideological status would seem to glorify them. Although race is clearly central in your case, I would say that this is just another manifestation of the 'outsider' element. Part of my family live in a rough working-class area, and when I am there I stand out by clothes, accent, even demeanor lol, and I have had some bother in that respect. It is an underclass mentality which hates anyone remotely different, and takes pride in ignorance and intolerance. Having said that where I live the issue is nothing to do with race, there is nearly no immigration as noone wants to come lol. Dont let it get you down anyways OP, remember THEY are the minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    lol, people can obviously tell the difference between a chinese person and a pakistani person, but to these people anyone who isnt white is a paki apparently.
    Exactly. In their minds I'm sure they have that smidgen of mental capacity to actually determine between the most obvious of difference in races, but somehow in gets lost in their clouded upbringing and somehow everyone who isn't white is a muddy turrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sufiankane)
    you clearly live in an area full of inbred mongrels. i would say stand up to them, but then not everyone can do that, and the best thing is to take it, even though you shouldnt. persoanlly i just feel sorry for them, to have such little understanding of the outside world and the variety and richness of other religions and races. funny thing even more hypocritical, they still listen to music by other races, and eat food originating from toher races. they are just a bunch of inbred mongrels and feel happy in the fact you are superior than them.
    Wow, that's so helpful! So the OP now can feel all happy and privileged that he is better than chav scum... til he gets beaten up and ends up with broken ribs, a trashed house and a dead mother.

Still though, feel much more superior! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    racism still is a major issue in the UK.

I was born here, but my family is Indian.

It depends on where you are, growing up I've always been in mostly all white schools etc. This summer I've been working in a chavvy area in essex, and it's really bad. You get snide little comments thrown your way, it's a joke...

If you havn't been exposed to racial abuse, then please be aware that it's always out there.

Seeing my dad get kicked in the head and put in hospital by chavs this summer was a real eye opener...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but Chavs are scum, make up a small minority of Britains and are not representative of Britains at all.

Britain is not a racist nation, a few people are but that is true of any country in the world.

If you want racist, you should look at Africa and South USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yeh but Chavs are scum, make up a small minority of Britains and are not representative of Britains at all.

Britain is not a racist nation, a few people are but that is true of any country in the world.

If you want racist, you should look at Africa and South USA.
    South USA? Isn't that Mexico ...

ReputationRep:
    "and then as i was getting off at my stop one of the guys was like 'watch out everyone! she's gonna blow up!' i am not a muslim but just because i had brown skin they assumed i was"

I'm sorry, but isn't there underlying racism here directed at muslims from the OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatsWhatSheSaid)
    "and then as i was getting off at my stop one of the guys was like 'watch out everyone! she's gonna blow up!' i am not a muslim but just because i had brown skin they assumed i was"

I'm sorry, but isn't there underlying racism here directed at muslims from the OP?
    what the hell? how??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I know it might sound harsh but move to a predominantly Asian area? If it really is getting you and your family down, you should speak to them about moving to an area more tolerant of other races and the ultimate area would be somewhere that is predominated by the minorities, therefore there is little chance of you getting abuse.

But would that be you and your family burying their heads in the sand and ignoring the fact that this is England and there is still an NF element in the older generation, whereas the younger generation just regurgitate what their parents say... Basically, ignoring the fact that England is still a predominantly white country and the minorities are going to get abused, because that is just the way this country is. I feel if you move to an area predominated by fellow Asians you'd be cutting yourself off from the wider society...

So what can you do? I know it must be hurtful, and I know it must make you want to tear these ignorant people's heads off, but just tell yourself that these people don't have a brain...tell yourself, in that respect, you are better than them...
    I know you had good intentions with that post but surely it's fairly obvious why segregation is no solution at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bindymackenzie)
    what the hell? how??
    I could be wrong and have misunderstood but read closely. She stated that she was insulted with the bomb thing 'cause they thought she was muslim. Isn't she suggesting that it would have been an "appropriate insult" (if that even exists, but you know what i mean) if she was muslim?

Again, it could be a misunderstanding on my behalf, just thought i'd point it out.

ReputationRep:
    you know i dont think she meant that at all, i think that she would actually be proud to be a muslim and is also proud to be indian and is just merely insulted by the fact people throw ignorant insults at her because she is brown.

ReputationRep:
    you are legally living in that area, you are working/studying, you pay your bills etc.. you should tell them this or just ignore them. i understand it may be harsh for you, however society is a very powerful entity therefore it is best to stick with people who have sympathy for you and fight against the ignorants together.

I am white and imagine how I feel walking around seeing people in them big black things covering themselfs up. If i was to go to around dressed in a cap and scalf over my mouth that would be seen as agressive, so why is a burka (spelling) not seen as aggressive?
    People dont like those different to them. Not just colour but the way they act etc. An example is students.

ReputationRep:
    You've been smoking far too much of the bad stuff.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I am white and imagine how I feel walking around seeing people in them big black things covering themselfs up. If i was to go to around dressed in a cap and scalf over my mouth that would be seen as agressive, so why is a burka (spelling) not seen as aggressive?
    People dont like those different to them. Not just colour but the way they act etc. An example is students.
    You mean a balaclava? and yes the reason the burka is not seen as aggressive is because its part of religion.. surely you cant compare a woman covering herself to an idiot wearing a cap and balaclava most likely dressing aggressively too.. + its also the way you see them acting....when have you seen a woman covering herself acting like a prick..youd have right to be worried if they were acting overly suspicious .. comparing those two just isn't on

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.