Turn on thread page Beta

racism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-Curve)
    South USA? Isn't that Mexico ...
    No, South USA = The southern parts of the United States = Texas, Alabama etc.

Mexico is Southern Northern America =P, USA is Mid- North America, Canada is North- North America

I think, anyway:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rei)
    You mean a balaclava? and yes the reason the burka is not seen as aggressive is because its part of religion.. surely you cant compare a woman covering herself to an idiot wearing a cap and balaclava most likely dressing aggressively too.. + its also the way you see them acting....when have you seen a woman covering herself acting like a prick..youd have right to be worried if they were acting overly suspicious .. comparing those two just isn't on
    "if god wanted us to cover our faces surely he would have gave us a flap of skin to cover it up, but if it gave sexuel pleasure it would be removed naturally" pat comstad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olyy)
    No, South USA = The southern parts of the United States = Texas, Alabama etc.

Mexico is Southern Northern America =P, USA is Mid- North America, Canada is North- North America

I think, anyway:p:
    USA and Canada is North America

Mexico and Panama is Central America

Brazil, Venezula, Argentina, Chile is Southern America

ReputationRep:
    You must live in a real ****ed up, backward area. Or a chavy council estate perhaps? I know racism exists and is everywhere. However graffiting racist slurs on someones front door is a step too far.

I know this sounds wrong, but the best solution = move. You only live once, why live afraid and in unpleasant conditions. Those racists are there now, and will be be there in 20 years time and have amounted to nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yeh but Chavs are scum, make up a small minority of Britains and are not representative of Britains at all.

Britain is not a racist nation, a few people are but that is true of any country in the world.

If you want racist, you should look at Africa and South USA.
    you should learn your history.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Fascist_Action

chavs or the white working classes have fought in the struggle against fascism and racism for years not just the middle class liberals.

ReputationRep:
    Woah, let's not get mixed up there. Working class people are completely different from chav scum, while most of the kids' parents are working class, there really is little reason for them to become chavs, which I categorise simply as ignorant trouble makers with no conscience or respect to society and laws.

As for chavs being a small minority in Britain... well, as we've seen with the 15 children living in a mansion housed given by the local council... they're rapidly increasing in numbers.

And remember it only takes a very vocal and aggressive minority (e.g. suicide bombers) to screw things up for ALL groups, much like what the chavs are doing now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. We've moved from race to class. Wow.

And don't move. Why should they move? Everyone is entitled to live where they want. I would never encourage segregation. Maybe our grandparents are a bit racist but that's cos they weren't used to the influx of ethnic minorities but today, us lot, we go to school with everyone of different colours, races, cultures and we don't bat an eyelid. Integration is sooo good like you wouldn't believe. It's like your mates - are they all the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiscoPirate)
    That said, all the asian people i'm friends with are very friendly, accepting and have adjusted to a life in Briton, although i'm not blaming you specifically (you seem like a nice person) I do think that some (Not all, don't spaz out) Asians do come to Briton and try to build their own communities and segregate themselves from 'white people' I don't think it's fair to assume that it is only white people that can be racist.

Love DP.
    ...yet you still wonder why this is the case -- even after reading the OP?? Maybe they are scared they will get abused like the OP has been - so seek comfort by mingling with their own ethinic minorities.

To be fair, given the current political climate it has probably made matters worse for a brown minority.

Love FH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    yep, hands down the most idiotic comment i have ever read on TSR
    seriously WTF?

Spose you would also moan about asians segregating themselves.

OP - I wouldn't let it get you down.
    Yeah...the irony. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatsWhatSheSaid)
    I could be wrong and have misunderstood but read closely. She stated that she was insulted with the bomb thing 'cause they thought she was muslim. Isn't she suggesting that it would have been an "appropriate insult" (if that even exists, but you know what i mean) if she was muslim?

Again, it could be a misunderstanding on my behalf, just thought i'd point it out.
    Your reading too much into it.

He/She is just clarifying a fact that she an Indian and not a "muslim" - thats it.

Maybe the OP is highlighting the ignorance of the chavs by highlighting the fact they brand everyone with brown skin a terrorist. But I very much doubt that the OP would want everyone that has brown skin to be insulted in that manner. (in an "appropiate" context or not)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am white and imagine how I feel walking around seeing people in them big black things covering themselfs up. If i was to go to around dressed in a cap and scalf over my mouth that would be seen as agressive, so why is a burka (spelling) not seen as aggressive?
    People dont like those different to them. Not just colour but the way they act etc. An example is students.
    Because everyone that has a brain or has done at least GCSE RE in school should know it is purely for religious reasons. Secondly only women wear it.

...Not quite the same thing is it now?...If you compare it to a rudeboy down peckham walking around with a hoody on late at night. :rolleyes:

Some of the people on here - honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artemidoros)
    Why on earth should anyone be forced to put up with such trash.
    wow people are so touchy on this topic and no one understood by post.
    I never once said that the OP should have to be abused or whatever.
    I mean if you are obese there's a very high chance that people will look at you and perhaps say bad stuff about you...this is almost inevitable and you have to come to terms with this.

If I went and lived in Africa (for example) where there is a mainstream "coloured race" I know that I wouldn't really fit in and I know I would be judged on my skin tone. So I don't see why people are accusing me of saying it's ok let the op be harassed. People in society get harassed for many reason...if you're missing a limb, in a wheel chair, have bright purple hair, people arn't nice and no one accepts everyone or difference, what ever they may be. But unless you're going to stand up for yourself, tell the abusers off, move or tell the cops, then what is one suppose to do??? We have to learn to ignore what people say, yes understand that it's gonna happen but just try not to give a **** about what other people think. We all have to do this, whether it's race or height or whatever!

(Original post by blackswan)
    wow people are so touchy on this topic and no one understood by post.
    I never once said that the OP should have to be abused or whatever.
    I mean if you are obese there's a very high chance that people will look at you and perhaps say bad stuff about you...this is almost inevitable and you have to come to terms with this.

If I went and lived in Africa (for example) where there is a mainstream "coloured race" I know that I wouldn't really fit in and I know I would be judged on my skin tone. So I don't see why people are accusing me of saying it's ok let the op be harassed. People in society get harassed for many reason...if you're missing a limb, in a wheel chair, have bright purple hair, people arn't nice and no one accepts everyone or difference, what ever they may be. But unless you're going to stand up for yourself, tell the abusers off, move or tell the cops, then what is one suppose to do??? We have to learn to ignore what people say, yes understand that it's gonna happen but just try not to give a **** about what other people think. We all have to do this, whether it's race or height or whatever!
    we know how ur trying to spin it, but comparing being obese, and being asian? ..seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mangaroo)
    we know how ur trying to spin it, but comparing being obese, and being asian? ..seriously.
    I'm just saying that people will tease other people for any reason, big or small!
    I'm not comparing I'm just trying to make it clearly. And I'm not spinning anything. My first post was one line, obviously not explaining much so I wrote a bigger one!
    Bottom line is people get teased for anything, it's how we handle this that counts..

ReputationRep:
    I'm just saying that people will tease other people for any reason, big or small!
    I'm not comparing I'm just trying to make it clearly. And I'm not spinning anything. My first post was one line, obviously not explaining much so I wrote a bigger one!
    Bottom line is people get teased for anything, it's how we handle this that counts..
    Yeah but come on honestly. This is Britain and its the 21st century. From an early age I expect that everyone is aware that racism is wrong; in the same way that everyone is told about Hitler and his holocaust antics. Yet it still exists.

There is no excuse for this. I would much prefer to be teased about any other attribute then my race - and I am sure in the OP case this could have been done....But no they intentionally chose to racially abuse him/her.

...and we are supposed to be a 1st world nation.

ReputationRep:
    ...and we are supposed to be a 1st world nation.
    what does that have to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    what does that have to do with it?
    Everything. How can you possibly compare an African country to this nation if in the event you do experience racism.

For starters they would be uneducated a lot of the ignorant ones anyway. So what do you expect? In which case, ignorance is bliss - (although not right admittedly)

In this country EVERYONE is aware of racism. Even chavs go to some form of schooling you know. THEY are told that it is wrong. THEY know.

Besides I have travelled a fair bit and I have got friends who are white travelling a fair bit too (who have not experienced any racism) and put it this way unless you go to Zimbabwe (or end up in some insurgant camp in iraq) you will not be inflicted with racism. Most developing countries would treat you well, because the west is prosporous and a lot are trying to emulate that; if anyone - individuals from other developing countries (e.g. in the subcontinent will experience abuse)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    Everything. How can you possibly compare an African country to this nation
    I used Africa as an exmaple because I am not African...be I could have chosen any developed country.
    Even chavs go to some form of schooling you know. THEY are told that it is wrong. THEY know.
    no I don't know anything about the 'chav' culture.
    Besides I have travelled a fair bit and I have got friends who are white travelling a fair bit too (who have not experienced any racism) and put it this way unless you go to Zimbabwe (or end up in some insurgant camp in iraq) you will not be inflicted with racism. Most developing countries would treat you well, because the west is prosporous and a lot are trying to emulate that; if anyone - individuals from other developing countries (e.g. in the subcontinent will experience abuse)
    Well racism IS still alive and have been subjected to it.

ReputationRep:
    I used Africa as an exmaple because I am not African...be I could have chosen any developed country.
    All the same really. Ratio between rich and poor is higher.

no I don't know anything about the 'chav' culture.
    Well with the point I made about education being accessable for everyone does not require a deep insight into chav culture.

Well racism IS still alive and have been subjected to it.
    Yes I agree, and to be honest it will get worse for 'brownies' due to the current political climate....pretty sad if you think about it.

ReputationRep:
    If a politician had made that comment BS they would have been fired from their party.

You just can;t take that view IMO - as fat hobbit says this is the 21st century and this is the UK - it shouldn;t have to be put up with - and certianly you shouldnt have to hide away

If you go to a poorer country that is less 'civilised', yes you will probably face more blatant racism but that shouldn;t change what happens in the UK...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.