The Student Room Group

History and Politics Applicants for 2017

Any History and Politics applicants out there?

Post your choices, A-Levels etc. and comments below!

I'm applying to Oxford, Warwick, Sheffield and York for His/Pol and LSE for History and International Relations
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JaiCurtis
Any History and Politics applicants out there?

Post your choices, A-Levels etc. and comments below!

Heyhey, I applied to Hist and Pol in Cambridge! Et toi?
Original post by TrystWithDestiny
Yep! I'm applying for HistPol at Cambridge, LSE, King's, Warwick, and SOAS.

Ah, I didn't actually apply to every HistPol course, I just applied to similar ones. LSE one is International Relations and Hist, Durham is Politics etcetc. Tbh I found it kinda hard to do my PS because it was like back and forth hist and pol.. I feel like I literally had no structure whatsoever :s-smilie:
I'm history and modern languages (sorry!), but thought it would be interesting to speak to other joint honours history candidates.
I'm applying to do Cambridge Durham Exeter Edinburgh and Nottingham. I'm a post-qualification applicant - I'm on my gap year
Reply 4
Original post by russianrainbows1
Heyhey, I applied to Hist and Pol in Cambridge! Et toi?

Ah, Oxford for me! How's the admissions process going? Do you have an admissions test?
Reply 5
I'm applying to LSE for History and IR like many of you guys. Hope I've managed to delve into IR enough in my PS, and that LSE can take into account that History and Politics is a bit more common than IR in general
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by francais123
I'm history and modern languages (sorry!), but thought it would be interesting to speak to other joint honours history candidates.
I'm applying to do Cambridge Durham Exeter Edinburgh and Nottingham. I'm a post-qualification applicant - I'm on my gap year

That's fine haha! How did you find linking the two in your PS?
Ah, Oxford for me! How's the admissions process going? Do you have an admissions test?

Ah, fine for now. The SAQ seemed decent, but now I have to send in 3 essays to my college. 2 hist essays and 1 random one (or hist as well). Do you need to do the same??
Yeah, I have the HAA test and there's barely any samples available so I'm a bit worried, but might as well give it a go. HAT tests are so good.. so good. I tried one and I really liked it, not so sure I like Cam's one as much
That's fine haha! How did you find linking the two in your PS?

Doable but difficult. How did you find it?
I'm a Scottish applicant so grades are a bit different but I'm predicted AAA at advanced higher and have As for everything else!

I also found my personal statement was a bit of a mess :s-smilie: I'm applying for joint honors everywhere with a mix of history/politics/economics! I didn't write seperate paragraphs for each but discussed how they all were fundamental to each other's understanding....

I've applied to Oxford and Warick (offer) for hispol, LSE for government and history which looks amazing! And then St. Andrews for history and economics and Edinburgh for politics and economics!

For anyone applying to Oxford... How's the HAT prep coming along?
Applied to Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham for HistPol (apart from Bristol which was Politics and International Relations). So far I've got 3 As from Bristol and 2 As (or an unconditional if I firm it, which I won't) from Nottingham which is chill. Idk I'd really love Bristol but it'd be a pretty big waste if I didn't properly try for Cambridge - the test is pretty ****in terrifying so far though
Reply 11
I've applied for history and politics at cambridge, edinburgh, sheffield, newcastle and manchester, reaaallly not looking forward to the HAA next week
Original post by TrystWithDestiny
Ah, for LSE I found that the closest substitute for HistPol was Government and History, so I went for that. My PS was an introduction, a paragraph on History, a paragraph on Politics, then all my academic stuff. Got an offer from Warwick already! :smile:

Gl! Yeah I was looking at government but IR is more for me dunno I probably made a mistake with my life
I literally had NO structure at all! No one said anything bad about it though..yet..
Reply 13
Ah, fine for now. The SAQ seemed decent, but now I have to send in 3 essays to my college. 2 hist essays and 1 random one (or hist as well). Do you need to do the same??
Yeah, I have the HAA test and there's barely any samples available so I'm a bit worried, but might as well give it a go. HAT tests are so good.. so good. I tried one and I really liked it, not so sure I like Cam's one as much

I only need to send 1 History one - lucky me!

Yeah the HAT seems pretty alright - am I right in thinking that Cambridge also tests skill so specific revision isn't necessary? I've been doing some past papers, making notes and reading mark schemes to get familiar with the HAT structure really
Reply 14
Original post by francais123
Doable but difficult. How did you find it?

I find His/Pol are so closely linked it all kind of merged into one!
Reply 15
Original post by Lauren1498x
I'm a Scottish applicant so grades are a bit different but I'm predicted AAA at advanced higher and have As for everything else!

I also found my personal statement was a bit of a mess :s-smilie: I'm applying for joint honors everywhere with a mix of history/politics/economics! I didn't write seperate paragraphs for each but discussed how they all were fundamental to each other's understanding....

I've applied to Oxford and Warick (offer) for hispol, LSE for government and history which looks amazing! And then St. Andrews for history and economics and Edinburgh for politics and economics!

For anyone applying to Oxford... How's the HAT prep coming along?

Not bad - just doing past papers, making notes and reading mark schemes :smile:

Well done for the Warwick offer, mine came through too, on monday!
Not bad - just doing past papers, making notes and reading mark schemes :smile:

Well done for the Warwick offer, mine came through too, on monday!

Congrats! HAT is going pretty bad for me I always get so close but yet so far most of the time 😂
Reply 17
Original post by Lauren1498x
Congrats! HAT is going pretty bad for me I always get so close but yet so far most of the time 😂

I know what you mean! Comparing notes to mark schemes always makes you feel like you're just scraping at what they would regard as a really good point:/ I'm sure you'll do fine though, if you've already got a Warwick offer you must have enough raw skill to pass the HAT
Reply 18
Gl! Yeah I was looking at government but IR is more for me dunno I probably made a mistake with my life
I literally had NO structure at all! No one said anything bad about it though..yet..

I found IR more to my liking too. Comparing the modules with these kinds of courses at LSE highlights so much overlap that Government/IR seem to slightly different sides of the same coin. Kind of domestic vs. international politics really
Applying to Birmingham, Southampton, Cardiff, Reading and LSE for IR/ History !!

Quick Reply