The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Applicants 2017

This thread is for applicants to discuss applications and for a general chat about the process :smile:

Where are you from?

What course(s) are you applying for?

What qualifications do you have? What are your predicted grades and in which subjects?

Do you have any voluntary/work experience?

What does your course require?

Why Newcastle University? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
This thread is for applicants to discuss applications and for a general chat about the process :smile:

Where are you from?
South East England, Kent
Modern languages
What qualifications do you have? What are your predicted grades and in which subjects?
predicted BBB in French Spanish and geography, but I think it's a bit low
Work experience in a nursery in Spain
Volunteered in an old person's home to renovate their garden
ABB-BBB

Campus next to a big city, although I haven't actually visited yet
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by olivialeicester
Campus next to a big city, although I haven't actually visited yet

Are you going to an open day? :smile:
Course: Mathematics (MMath)
Qualifications (Achieved at AS Level): AAAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Electronics + extra maths modules)
Qualifications (Predicted for A2):
A*A*A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and Electronics)
Work Experience: Well...
Course Requirement: AAA
Why Newcastle? Nice city full of friendly people.
Original post by Cryptokyo
Course: Mathematics (MMath)
Qualifications (Achieved at AS Level): AAAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Electronics + extra maths modules)
Qualifications (Predicted for A2): A*A*A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and Electronics)
Work Experience: Well...
Course Requirement: AAA
Why Newcastle? Nice city full of friendly people.

bgmnting
Original post by citibankrec
bgmnting

What is this phrase suppose to mean?
Original post by She-Ra
Are you going to an open day? :smile:

The open days have finished, but I think I am going to do a self guided campus tour on Thursday (I live quite far away, in Kent). Have you been?
The open days have finished, but I think I am going to do a self guided campus tour on Thursday (I live quite far away, in Kent). Have you been?

You can always apply and then visit the university at one of the post-application open days. Can't imagine the self-guided tour being much fun since you can't properly visit your school, have a look at the accommodation etc.
Original post by BIGJohnson777
You can always apply and then visit the university at one of the post-application open days. Can't imagine the self-guided tour being much fun since you can't properly visit your school, have a look at the accommodation etc.

Yes I agree, tbh it was more to get a feel for the city but they do have quite a few videos, and like you said there will be a post-application day :smile:

I would definitely recommend going - you need to get a feel for it and notice whether you'd feel at home there :h:

What do you plan to study? Make sure you check out the building where some of your lectures would be and email whoever is says is the course lead online or on the prospectus and see if you can have a chat :h:
Original post by BurstingBubbles

Where are you from?
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire

Film and Media
AS- ABCCC (media,drama,English lit,psychology,general studies)

Yes

ABB

Love the city and the campus
Sent my application off a week ago today! :biggrin: But no offer as of yet :/

Where are you from?
Hull :P Well not in Hull, just outside it :biggrin:

Law

AS - AAABC (Law, Business, Philosophy and Ethics, Applied ICT, World Development)
A2 predictions - AAAB (Law, Business, Philosophy and Ethics, Applied ICT)

Yes, I worked at a solicitors for a little while to get an insight into their role. I've also visited courts, taken part in mock trials and even visited a prison :/

AAA
Why Newcastle University?
I visited the city for the first time when I went to an open day in September. Everyone I have ever spoken to about Newcastle had always said what a nice city it was and I had never heard a bad word about it. When I visited, the university itself was amazing, but the city itself I found out of this world. The people were so friendly, the shops and nightlife seemed good, there was certainly a lot of things to do! I don't think I'll be getting bored if I come to Newcastle :biggrin:
What is this phrase suppose to mean?

Big man ting.
Just got an offer from Newcastle for mathematics

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got an offer for film and media!😌😌
Where are you from? Northumberland - around 20 miles north of Newcastle

What course(s) are you applying for? - Secondary PGCE (Maths)

What qualifications do you have? What are your predicted grades and in which subjects? - I have my maths degree and the required GCSE and A Level qualifications.

Do you have any voluntary/work experience? - I need a lot more classroom experience, only got one day so far!

What does your course require? - Degree, GCSE English & Maths & Science, Classroom Experience, Skills Tests

Why Newcastle University? - I did my undergrad here and I'm a local!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay congrats - I am a Newcastle maths graduate!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got a lot of friends here doing Maths and so far they are really enjoying it. Although they seem to spend much more time in the lectures than any other students, at least it is much more chilled once the lectures are over.
I'm going to be firming Newcastle if I get an offer - the university and city looks so good! Anyone know of any Facebook groups or pages for Newcastle Applicants or UCAS Applicants for this academic year? If so, could you please add me? :colondollar::thumbsup:
Original post by rayquaza17
Where are you from? Northumberland - around 20 miles north of Newcastle

What course(s) are you applying for? - Secondary PGCE (Maths)

What qualifications do you have? What are your predicted grades and in which subjects? - I have my maths degree and the required GCSE and A Level qualifications.

Do you have any voluntary/work experience? - I need a lot more classroom experience, only got one day so far!

What does your course require? - Degree, GCSE English & Maths & Science, Classroom Experience, Skills Tests

Why Newcastle University? - I did my undergrad here and I'm a local!

Yay congrats - I am a Newcastle maths graduate!

Thank you very much. The one thing that surprised me is that their usual offer is AAA but my offer is AAB - but I am not complaining!

What do you think was the best thing about the mathematics course at Newcastle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much. The one thing that surprised me is that their usual offer is AAA but my offer is AAB - but I am not complaining!

What do you think was the best thing about the mathematics course at Newcastle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In your case your offer is probs an unconditional if firmed. Then again you could go oxbridge

Quick Reply