Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you come into Tesco (where I work as a checkout operator) and you want to by alcohol:

1. Bring your ID if you look under 25
    2. Don't have a hissy fit if I ID you and you haven't got it.

We have to ask ALL under 21s for ID. Otherwise we not only get fired, but are faced with a court appearance and a £5,000 fine.

The reason being I asked a guy for ID who looked, I would say, 20 and naturally he didn't have it. So who does he take it out on. Who does he shout at and try to intimidate? Who does the dirty chav bang the checkout divider at? (Me)

And if you want to buy alcohol and you have ID, don't walk in with someone who looks under 18. You won't get served either.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work there, I quit after this whole 'under 21' stuff. Its way too easy to get it wrong once and get a fine.

ReputationRep:
    you know what, there's plenty of things about you that I hate... I don't go on about it... stop moaning and get on with your goddamned life and your goddamned crappy job.

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you quit tesco ? the rules are crap, they are strangling farmers and putting thousands of rival smaller shops out of business. The way Tesco is going they will have a monopoly on every product and we cant do anything about it because were too dependant on them as it is.

I suggest toning down your ego, your a few ranks below that dirty chav in my book.

ReputationRep:
    chiiiiiiill man, IDing people is fun! and having people mouth off at you for doing your job is just funny

ReputationRep:
    Just for a kick, i would ask a 70+ guy for ID. Tell him that "you can never be too careful with the craft of the youth and what they teach people on Blue peter". But yea, i have to admit that it is quite annoying when they ID you...but i see why.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have security guards in Tesco? Just call them next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Why dont you quit tesco ? the rules are crap, they are strangling farmers and putting thousands of rival smaller shops out of business.
    That's life. If small businesses can't earn enough money, it's not anyone else's problem. If farmers made less money than working at a supermarket or something, don't you think they've long sold their farms and left? Farmers aren't poor, they're just complaining because they're not as rich as they want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshleprechaun)
    And if you want to buy alcohol and you have ID, don't walk in with someone who looks under 18. You won't get served either.
    What about if some young'un comes along with their parents for the weekly shop and the parents happen to be buying some booze for their own use?

I've heard of people getting IDed in this case and being caught without, because of course they weren't buying any alcohol themselves. Surely unless there is some kind of evidence that the alcohol is being bought for the consumption of the young person it should be fine ("innocent until proven guilty" etc.)

ReputationRep:
    moaning again, are we OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zygroth)
    That's life. If small businesses can't earn enough money, it's not anyone else's problem. If farmers made less money than working at a supermarket or something, don't you think they've long sold their farms and left? Farmers aren't poor, they're just complaining because they're not as rich as they want to be.
    Shut the **** up, londoner. You clearly have no idea what farming entails.

ReputationRep:
    Zygoth Tesco has got to a size where it has become a problem and turning a blind eye isnt going to help.

When a business gets so powerfull that it can control the consumer as opposed to the other way round e.g. Microsoft we are in seriouse trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't see the problem. :/

ReputationRep:
    look harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    look harder
    :P

ReputationRep:
    Ive worked in pubs and nighclubs and have always been lead to believe that its an £80 fine for the person who served the underage/drunk customer.
    Its the management/Licence holder who gets the hefty fine and possible court appearance.

Now whilst £80 still sucks, you presumably agreed to, and took on the responsibility of the job when you signed your contract- and its part of the job when serving things that require ID unfortunatly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan Partridge)
    Shut the **** up, londoner. You clearly have no idea what farming entails.
    Whilst I don't think he's necessarily always right, it's true that a lot of farmers are loaded. I even heard a news story about a farmer describing his 'financial ruin' after a bad year. It later turned out he was earning over £100k in a normal year.

That said, I do think bar staff are sometimes a bit too quick to ask for ID when people are clearly not underage. I was sitting in a cocktail bar a few weeks ago and saw somebody who was obviously in their early 30s getting ID'd, which was a bit daft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    chiiiiiiill man, IDing people is fun! and having people mouth off at you for doing your job is just funny
    Not if you work on the doors. Some people have even said they are gonna come back and shoot me cos i IDed them and they didnt have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geordie2006)
    Not if you work on the doors. Some people have even said they are gonna come back and shoot me cos i IDed them and they didnt have it.
    :eek: ahem, i guess i retract my statement lol

ReputationRep:
    Tesco are crap, they once refused to sell me a bottle of wine because the person behind me in the queue didn't have ID, despite the fact we weren't even together! We both said we weren't together, we had seperate shops on the conveyer belt, but the person still wouldn't sell it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.