The Student Room Group

Job offers: rules of thumb

I am feeling especially terrible from just being rejected for a job offer, so I will try not to let my emotion get to my post and I will try to stick to the point.

From all these rejections and years of experience in applying to jobs I've established some pretty robust rules of truth:

- when you don't get an answer immediately, you're not hired
- when they say:
- "we'll get back to you"
- "we have to look at other candidates first"
- "we have enough information for now"
, you're not hired
- when they don't get back to you, you're not hired (d'oh)

In this last job application I was disqualified from, it was the waiting game card they played. They told me on the phone they would send me a feedback e-mail, but they never did. They led me on for two days, I have been waiting for that e-mail like a f*cking idiot and this is what I get on the phone: "My boss told me to cancel the appointment because she doesn't think you have enough years of experience".

And so, again: no immediate response means no job.

Over and out.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J-SP
As a recruiter, I have said the following to candidates but have still recruited them:

- "we'll get back to you"- "we have to look at other candidates first"

Recruitment processes take time and sometimes when you want to hire someone you still have to go through annoying processes to ensure you can (like seeing other applicants). Sometimes those who have the final hiring decision making ability aren't always around to make that decision.

You have to remember the vast majority of people who make job applications will be rejected. There is always more applicants than there are positions available, and this unfortunately means getting rejected can feel like the norm.

I agree with you on this post; I have some personal experiences and to be honest its all about luck most of the time. It is like the term, You win some, you lose some?
Winning the interview stage but didn't get the offer.

I have recently become a recruiter myself and to be honest I say exactly the same things to most candidates at interviews that 'I'll get back to them' which I do but its also like a date when you meet someone and say 'yeah I like the look of that person', but meet another and say actually they're the one that I want. You're just not sure with these things in recruitment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I hate recruiters.
You need to get over it and move on. If they say you don't have enough experience then you don't have enough experience. Take that as a hint and put more effort into getting extra work experience.
Original post by 571122
I am feeling especially terrible from just being rejected for a job offer, so I will try not to let my emotion get to my post and I will try to stick to the point.

From all these rejections and years of experience in applying to jobs I've established some pretty robust rules of truth:

- when you don't get an answer immediately, you're not hired
- when they say:
- "we'll get back to you"
- "we have to look at other candidates first"
- "we have enough information for now"
, you're not hired
- when they don't get back to you, you're not hired (d'oh)

In this last job application I was disqualified from, it was the waiting game card they played. They told me on the phone they would send me a feedback e-mail, but they never did. They led me on for two days, I have been waiting for that e-mail like a f*cking idiot and this is what I get on the phone: "My boss told me to cancel the appointment because she doesn't think you have enough years of experience".

Over and out.

by immediatley, what you do mean? the same day as the interview?
False. I applied to Asda and Tesco at the same time. Asda got back to me within a few days whilst Tesco got back to me after 3 weeks to offer me the job but at that point I declined because Asda gave me the job and I accepted and had already started getting my training.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 571122

Over and out.

My last job waited over a month before hiring me ? not always the case
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
by immediatley, what you do mean? the same day as the interview?

By immediately I mean right in the interview.
Original post by 571122

That is not always the case. In my personal experience of going to interviews; I sometimes receive job offers within days or even weeks after attending.

1st job - got job offer the next day.
2nd job - got job offer 1 week later.
3rd job (current job) - got job offer one month later.

To be honest, interviews are really hard to predict sometimes because you just simply don't know what will happen during and after the interview.
(edited 7 years ago)
There is absolutely no excuse for not getting back to people with an answer - it's just rude. I interview lots of teachers and every single one gets detailed feedback - recruiters need to up their game.

I think people should name and shame these companies ...
Original post by 571122

Definitley doesn't always work like that. I got my job offer the day after, my colleague who just started working where I do was told she got the job offer 2 or 3 days after her interview, a friend of mine got her job offer a week after interview.
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
There is absolutely no excuse for not getting back to people with an answer - it's just rude. I interview lots of teachers and every single one gets detailed feedback - recruiters need to up their game.

I think people should name and shame these companies ...

Hear ye! Hear ye! You are quite right.
Reply 12
I don't know what kind of magical tricks you guys pull, but I've never gotten a job without knowing someone on the inside. Now that I have a Bachelor's degree in Comp. Sci. and I'm on my own, no one wants to hire me.
Original post by 571122
I don't know what kind of magical tricks you guys pull, but I've never gotten a job without knowing someone on the inside. Now that I have a Bachelor's degree in Comp. Sci. and I'm on my own, no one wants to hire me.

It is all about skills and experience. Experience is commonly the most difficult part to apprehend when you don't have any in the first place. Don't worry about it, you are not alone in all of this; it takes a little albeit a lot longer for some graduates to get their first full time job. However do still look for other ways to get that practical experience because when you go to interviews, there is a 98% chance prospective employers will ask what you have been doing since graduation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Boreism
It is all about skills and experience. Experience is commonly the most difficult part to apprehend when you don't have any in the first place. Don't worry about it, you are not alone in all of this; it takes a little albeit a lot longer for some graduates to get their first full time job. However do still look for other ways to get that practical experience because when you go to interviews, there is a 98% chance prospective employers will ask what you have been during since graduation.

Yes, that is correct. I have a total of 2 years working experience in various sectors, but not in IT - and that's the problem. They go like: "Sure, you've worked as a labor worker in many factories, but you don't have any IT experience". I think doing free internships might be a possible solution to get that experience. However, the 4 month internship I did during graduation is technically IT working experience because it was a real job at a real corporation with real workers, but then again, they don't count that as 'enough' because '4 months is not 2 years minimum'. I hate this kind of crap.

The current plan is to get whatever job I can to get some money (I'm broke) so that I can start doing things. I couldn't even get a job at a grocery store, which is grotesquely stupid. Someone with a degree not being able to get a low wage job? I don't understand.
Original post by 571122
Yes, that is correct. I have a total of 2 years working experience in various sectors, but not in IT - and that's the problem. They go like: "Sure, you've worked as a labor worker in many factories, but you don't have any IT experience". I think doing free internships might be a possible solution to get that experience. However, the 4 month internship I did during graduation is technically IT working experience because it was a real job at a real corporation with real workers, but then again, they don't count that as 'enough' because '4 months is not 2 years minimum'. I hate this kind of crap.

The current plan is to get whatever job I can to get some money (I'm broke) so that I can start doing things. I couldn't even get a job at a grocery store, which is grotesquely stupid. Someone with a degree not being able to get a low wage job? I don't understand.

At last someone who doesn't want to argue with me about not wanting to gain experience!

Employers in retail will think you won't commit long term. I worked in retail during college (and university) and had graduates who left 5 months after because they found something better to do that will benefit their chosen career. It does happen and thats the main reason why retail employers tend to reject graduates simply for this reason as it wastes their training and resources.

It is understandable why they do this though because as a company you would want someone who wants to commit longer than 6 months so that you don't have to waste your time recruiting for another member of staff.

I personally know some graduates who work in retail and factories; they hate it because its tedious, boring and theres a lack of career progression. The hours are rubbish too because some of these jobs are part time. One of them resigned but after 1 week they were forced to (un)resign simply because they couldn't find anything better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 571122

Would you be able to go into IT jobs that are entry level? Then I assume they would be expecting much less than 2 years minimum experience. Or could you get another internship (preferably paid ofc), and sometimes doing it in a smaller company increases the chance they'll want to hire you full time after the internship.

Not sure if retail companies are still hiring christmas workers, but they're often a good entry point because they tend to be desperate to find people - although these days there are more and more people applying to them, so you need to showcase any skills you have relevant to a customer facing role, but sometimes there are e.g. stocking jobs that are less customer focused if that fits your skillset.
Also agree with all the above: I've had responses weeks after an interview, and been told all these things, for a role I've been accepted for. Tbh 2 days waiting on an e-mail is not long at all, I've had much much worse. I've had responses to an initial e-mail a month+ later, which nearly always results in me already having other offers, and tbh I think long waits to initial e-mails is super unprofessional (at least write an e-mail to say 'thanks for contacting us, we'll get back to you at X time') which makes me not want to work for that place, especially if I've got another offer.
Original post by 571122

I didn't know anyone on the inside where I work now- I was hired because they liked my covering letter, which conveyed my passion for the area of work and the experience I did have and (unpaid, some of it relevant to the role but some not) how this met their job criteria and they felt I performed well at interview- again I got accross my passion for the area of work and show that I had gained transferable skills from my work, again I gave examples from experience that wasn't directly relevant to what I do now.
Reply 19
Original post by roflcakes1
Would you be able to go into IT jobs that are entry level? Then I assume they would be expecting much less than 2 years minimum experience. Or could you get another internship (preferably paid ofc), and sometimes doing it in a smaller company increases the chance they'll want to hire you full time after the internship.

Not sure if retail companies are still hiring christmas workers, but they're often a good entry point because they tend to be desperate to find people - although these days there are more and more people applying to them, so you need to showcase any skills you have relevant to a customer facing role, but sometimes there are e.g. stocking jobs that are less customer focused if that fits your skillset.

Yes, I would, but I need to brush up on my IT first, which is why I'm looking for some temporary money. I have seen entry-level IT jobs that require 5-10 years experience (infrastructure engineer, responsible for the entire IT infrastructure of corporate, pretty much CCIE level. Other examples include simple developer positions; yes, even those require that).

Every entry-level job I've checked out requires at least 2 years experience minimum as well as expert knowledge of various frameworks, which is the reason why I can't get such a job yet and I need to train my skills in those.

I'll try to look for paid internships because most I encountered are non-paying. I don't have any self-confidence about getting hired because I don't think much of myself, even though I shouldn't think that way.
Yes, I recently tried to apply for a retail job and no one got back to me or they mentioned they're looking for someone with more experience. There were 20 other candidates applying for that one, single position last time.
I am also not giving away my Christmas/holiday days for work.

I'll keep looking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending