Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I ordered myself one. It was the next-day on-site warranty that swung it for me. I was going to go for a Macbook but for less than the price of that machine (even with the HE discount) I got the same spec as the Macbook Pro. Portability doesn't matter to me as I'm a big lad! LOL.

ReputationRep:
    According to a leaflet that was just delivered, Vostro models weigh around 3-3.6kg.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I read about the weight over at NotebookReview and it put me off a bit. I'm probably going to spend a bit more and get the DV2535EA (the HP notebook that seems to come up in this forum quite often at the minute). It's CPU and graphics aren't quite as good (depending on which Vostro configuration we're talking about) but I'm not a hardcore gamer so that shouldn't matter. The only thing I'd have liked is the onsite warranty.

ReputationRep:
    I have seen cheaper, significntly cheaper. This takes into consideration equal or greater specs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    I have seen cheaper, significntly cheaper. This takes into consideration equal or greater specs.
    Care to enlighten us as to what or where these deals are?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if it's a stupid question but don't you have to prove you have a business to buy these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrey)
    Sorry if it's a stupid question but don't you have to prove you have a business to buy these?
    No. You will have to pay VAT though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GavinZac)
    Care to enlighten us as to what or where these deals are?
    Exactly. No use saying something like that without the requisite proof.

ReputationRep:
    Also, to the OP, why haven't you specified exactly which Vostro it is?

What use is that?

ReputationRep:
    Having just browsed the Dell website and tried to find this same deal, it seems that it must have been a one day only thing, because there is NO WAY those same specs are available for that price, anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adthegreat)
    According to a leaflet that was just delivered, Vostro models weigh around 3-3.6kg.
    Which is measly, I have to say

ReputationRep:
    Can someone have a look at the screen options for a second opinion, because as far as I can see the best screen option is the worst with a 300:1 contrast ratio...

Thinking it must be a typo I called up to be assured (at least i think thats what she was saying....) that what was reading of the internet was correct, not that I have any faith that she knew what she was talking about, she simply regurgitated what I had on the screen in front of me.

ReputationRep:
    Laptop screens usually suck, but 300:1 sounds absurdly low...

...wow, 19" has dropped to £100 now! http://misco.co.uk/applications/Sear...p?EdpNo=285914

...anyway, since you can't measure contrast ratio at home, I wouldn't put much faith in what anybody claims. (It also depends on the ambient light.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pernell Whitaker)
    Also, to the OP, why haven't you specified exactly which Vostro it is?

What use is that?
    Its the Dell Vostro 1700 (it DOES say 17 inch screen in the specs, and 1700 is the only model that offers that) im sorry I forgot to mention it - but a little looking around would have solved that easily.

Having just browsed the Dell website and tried to find this same deal, it seems that it must have been a one day only thing, because there is NO WAY those same specs are available for that price, anymore.
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...dt1&l=en&s=bsd

try it yourself... choose dell vostro 1700 and then configure it to the EXACT same specs as i mentioned above. You will be suprised (I know I was). You will then ask the same question as this thread's title

ReputationRep:
    2.0 ghz 4mb cache C2D
    2 GB RAM
    17 inch 1440x900
    webcam (2MP)
    160 GB HDD
    256mb nvidia 8600GT (NOTE THE GT - GT is EXPENSIVE)

I configured it to those specs, and the price I got was:

vostro1700.jpg - 0.22MB

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you could of just told us the price instead of taking a screenshot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoubleThePrice)
    I'm sure you could of just told us the price instead of taking a screenshot.
    I like to provide evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it isn't very good evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r3m0t)
    Well, it isn't very good evidence.
    Well either way, if anyone can find those specs for £549.00, please do. I don't think you'll be able to.

ReputationRep:
    2.0 ghz 4mb cache C2D
    2 GB RAM
    17 inch 1440x900
    webcam (2MP)
    160 GB HDD
    256mb nvidia 8600GT (NOTE THE GT - GT is EXPENSIVE)

I configured it to those specs, and the price I got was:

vostro1700.jpg - 0.22MB
    The reason why yours is that much - whatever it is - is the fact that you forgot to choose 1 year warranty instead of 3 years. That will get the price down.

Also - I dont know what problem you have with this laptop being so cheap. If you do not believe it (or think you were ripped off coz you bought a more expensive laptop) please don't bother posting. You have implied two times already that I am a liar which I am clearly not. I made this post for people who would like a Macbook like performance laptop for less than a 1/3 of the cost. This was also to discuss what could be wrong with this laptop that makes it so cheap.

It's right there if you choose to look at it. I will also post a picture for you as evidence - if you do not believe me this time I'm sorry I can't help you anymore.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...0i/Capture.jpg

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 28, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.