Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoubleThePrice)
    Yeah it's good, it's a nice laptop and I haven't got any complaints about it yet.

The screen (1400*900) is really nice and better than my old LCD and everything seems to run pretty fast.

Do you have any specific queries?
    How is the weight?

ReputationRep:
    The build quality seems fine, altohugh I've never had a laptop before so I have nothing to compare it with.

Feels fairly light but again I have nothing to compare it to.

Overall I'm very impressed with it, especially seeing as it only cost £600.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoubleThePrice)
    The build quality seems fine, altohugh I've never had a laptop before so I have nothing to compare it with.

Feels fairly light but again I have nothing to compare it to.

Overall I'm very impressed with it, especially seeing as it only cost £600.
    Are you kidding? That thing's a brick!

ReputationRep:
    A hollow brick though

ReputationRep:
    its the personality of the vostro that counts, looks will fade anyway

whats with these people and all the bash quotes stop spreading it round..! come on...geeks need secrets

ReputationRep:
    I've got a dell vostro. It's an amazing laptop for the price, as long as you don't care about its bulkiness and considerable weight. Delivery for mine took about 2 weeks. Also whoever said it doesn't have any bloatware, and compared it to a macbook, I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong. You order anything from Dell, and you always get loads of crap that you don't want or need, I'm afraid :p:

ReputationRep:
    I reinstalled Vista on mine, which took about 15 minutes, thus getting rid of all the bloatware as well as the media and recovery partitions which freed up more space.

ReputationRep:
    Seems simpler to use the pcdecrapifier, since you might need to install drivers and useful things (e.g. touchpad configuration) if you just remove everything.

ReputationRep:
    i ordered one.

Vostro 1720
    Ordered 24/08/07
    EDD = 26/09/2007
    Current status = Pre production
    C2D T7500 Processor 2.2GHz,
    Windows Vista® Business
    17.0" Widescreen WUXGA TFT Display
    2.0 megapixel webcam
    2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
    8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Primary 9-cell Battery
    Wireless N-Type Card
    Bluetooth

Total = £900

ReputationRep:
    Does the T7500 processor give significant difference and what difference does the Wireless N-Type Card give?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thestudent)
    Does the T7500 processor give significant difference and what difference does the Wireless N-Type Card give?
    T7300 is probably worth the upgrade from T7100, but T7500 not so much.

"n wireless" is the new, faster type of wireless. You need compatible wireless routers for it to work. It'll start being common in a few years. (It won't make your internet faster, just transferring files between computers in the same network.) n laptops still work with the older types of wireless networks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thestudent)
    Does the T7500 processor give significant difference
    Between the 7100 and 7300 there is little difference.

Between the 7300 and the 7500 there will be little difference.

Between the 7100 and 7500 there will probably be a discernible difference.

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of getting a vostro 1400 for uni, does anyone know how long delivery will take, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    3-4 weeks

ReputationRep:
    :eek: id better get it soon then, cheers

ReputationRep:
    I write this to you on my new Dell Vostro 1400.

I love how it looks, build quality seems fine, apart from the battery maybe, which wiggles a bit. My delivery took about 2-3 weeks, pretty bad really. I'm not sure about the weight, i've never had a laptop before, but it seems fine to me.

Very quick and easy to get going, I must say wireless networking is actually a pleasure in Vista :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just this minute ordered mine Came to £620 all in all, can't remember the exact specs but it was something like 2.0ghz processor, 2bg ram, nice graphics caed , 15in screen, etc etc I also got the bag that goes on your back (screw the businessy type ones :P )

I sure hope it arrives in time for uni.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me how heavey theirs is? People have said theyre heavy but the dimensions say its about 3kg which I don't think is that heavy

ReputationRep:
    The Vostro line up is just unbeatable when it comes to spec to price. Build quality is better than many of its competitors espeicially the Acer Aspire 5920 which is no where near to the Vostro.

Yes it is bulky but I wouldn't say 3kg is heavy for such a good notebook - its full of multimedia hardware. The 8600 GT is the best GPU available in an 15" notebook and also comes with an option of higher resolution screens which is another positive over the Acer 5920.

The 9 cell battery sticks ~3cm out the BACK but it offers you 1.5 hours more than the 6 cell.

My only complain would be there is no DVI or HDMI port however it ain't a big problem

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 28, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.