Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got the WUXGA screen? just wondering is it much better than the standard one that comes if you dont upgrade it, i have decided to go for....

Vostro 1700 (i want 17" )
    T7100
    2gb ram (but thats standard)
    wireless n card (draft n is nice )
    8600GT M
    9 cell battery

Now this setup costs me around 600 pounds after doing some quidco here and there and some cashback deals and blah blah

NOW! i need to decide is it worth putting in 100 pounds extra and getting a WUXGA screen, which will be quality wise incredible? but then again 100 pounds is alot for a screen, and 700 pounds for a laptopt seems sort of daunting. My main priority is multimedia with a tad of gaming here and there, oh and i plan to carry this everywhere but i am a big lad and have carried worse for, for longer and have managed fine.

Also what is delivery time for vostro 17-- by any chance? ty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam12)
    The Vostro line up is just unbeatable when it comes to spec to price. Build quality is better than many of its competitors espeicially the Acer Aspire 5920 which is no where near to the Vostro.

Yes it is bulky but I wouldn't say 3kg is heavy for such a good notebook - its full of multimedia hardware. The 8600 GT is the best GPU available in an 15" notebook and also comes with an option of higher resolution screens which is another positive over the Acer 5920.

The 9 cell battery sticks ~3cm out the BACK but it offers you 1.5 hours more than the 6 cell.

My only complain would be there is no DVI or HDMI port however it ain't a big problem
    No, that's heavy. Some people don't need top-spec anyway, nor do they get t on the Vostro, but it's still heavy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sufiankane)
    Now this setup costs me around 600 pounds after doing some quidco here and there and some cashback deals and blah blah

NOW! i need to decide is it worth putting in 100 pounds extra and getting a WUXGA screen, which will be quality wise incredible? but then again 100 pounds is alot for a screen, and 700 pounds for a laptopt seems sort of daunting. My main priority is multimedia with a tad of gaming here and there, oh and i plan to carry this everywhere but i am a big lad and have carried worse for, for longer and have managed fine.

Also what is delivery time for vostro 17-- by any chance? ty
    100 pounds is not a lot for a screen, nice large screens start at £100 (I think you can get 19" at that price now) and if you wanted a seperate monitor with the WUXGA resolution, it could be very expensive.

If you get WUXGA, get the highest graphics card option available. (-> probably reduced battery life, not sure).

The only problem is that text will appear very sharp but very small. There's no way to describe it - you just have to see it in person. You can make the text size in all of Windows larger, but - I used it for a while - it doesn't look that good. (Even in Windows Vista, where they worked on it.)

If you have good vision, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam12)
    The Vostro line up is just unbeatable when it comes to spec to price. Build quality is better than many of its competitors espeicially the Acer Aspire 5920 which is no where near to the Vostro.
    Check your assertions, I think you'll find in any professional review the new gemstone Acers (i.e. the 5920) are blowing Dell away in build quality, last months 'What Laptop' for instance, gave the Acer a cracking score and commented on the vast build quality improvement. I assure you Dell are offering such a good price by cutting corners on the build quality and some components (i.e. chipset, RAM, case, battery, keyboard, connectivity).

There is always an explanation for somethings price, and you can rest assured Dell aren't giving these things away. Yes its a very good deal I won't deny it, but when it comes to laptops (unlike desktops) its the extras and quality which matter as much as the spec. A ****ty keyboard, duff screen, hot and heavy unit or noisy drive is something you will have to put up with for 3 years most likely (unless it breaks). Give it some thought.

ReputationRep:
    sufiane i've ordered the same laptop apart from i included a T7500 and a WUXGA. Small text and icons can be corrected by adjusting DPI (in Control Panel) and by enabling ClearType. Viewing HD ready movies on this experience is aparently better than most HDTV's out today. From what i've gathered its well worth the money if you play alot of games or watch movies.

And DorianGrey is right about the build quality, they are a few flaws that people have pointed out most notably the headphone noise and processor whine on some laptops and also the vostro's are quite big and bulky. I'd still recommend it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrey)
    Check your assertions, I think you'll find in any professional review the new gemstone Acers (i.e. the 5920) are blowing Dell away in build quality, last months 'What Laptop' for instance, gave the Acer a cracking score and commented on the vast build quality improvement. I assure you Dell are offering such a good price by cutting corners on the build quality and some components (i.e. chipset, RAM, case, battery, keyboard, connectivity).

There is always an explanation for somethings price, and you can rest assured Dell aren't giving these things away. Yes its a very good deal I won't deny it, but when it comes to laptops (unlike desktops) its the extras and quality which matter as much as the spec. A ****ty keyboard, duff screen, hot and heavy unit or noisy drive is something you will have to put up with for 3 years most likely (unless it breaks). Give it some thought.
    Yeh, thats expert reviews not real life owner reviews. Owners of the 5920 in popular Acer forums have commented on its "average" build quality. Its entire shell is made of plastic with its shiny lid suspect to many fingerprints. There is flex near the right hand side of the notebook and also some weaknesses around the corners of the lid.
    Ask any person who knows laptops, they'll opt for Dell heads and shoulders above Acer becuase of its poor relibality in notebooks in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody elaborate on their gaming experience on a dell vostro 1500?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam12)
    Yeh, thats expert reviews not real life owner reviews. Owners of the 5920 in popular Acer forums have commented on its "average" build quality. Its entire shell is made of plastic with its shiny lid suspect to many fingerprints. There is flex near the right hand side of the notebook and also some weaknesses around the corners of the lid. Ask any person who knows laptops, they'll opt for Dell heads and shoulders above Acer becuase of its poor relibality in notebooks in the past.
    Yeh obviously experts who have seen and compared hundreds of laptops have no idea what they are talking about....

Macbooks are made entirely of plastic does this somehow make them inferior in quality?

And much of the internet would contest your Acer over Dell claim...Dells reputation is one of the worst on the market and to say otherwise is frankly naive.

While I maintain the Vostro's are a good deal (apart from the frankly ridiculous £60 delivery and 4 week wait), there are drawbacks you will have to suffer with this laptop (such as the poor battery life, extruding battery, keyboard etc). Please keep this thread on topic regarding the laptops pro's and cons, your contempt for Acer is making you sound like a Dell advert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrey)
    Yeh obviously experts who have seen and compared hundreds of laptops have no idea what they are talking about....

Macbooks are made entirely of plastic does this somehow make them inferior in quality?

And much of the internet would contest your Acer over Dell claim...Dells reputation is one of the worst on the market and to say otherwise is frankly naive.

While I maintain the Vostro's are a good deal (apart from the frankly ridiculous £60 delivery and 4 week wait), there are drawbacks you will have to suffer with this laptop (such as the poor battery life, extruding battery, keyboard etc). Please keep this thread on topic regarding the laptops pro's and cons, your contempt for Acer is making you sound like a Dell advert.
    Ha...ROFL. Do you even know Acer's past? The amount of complaints they have got from forum to forum? Anyway, I'll shut up now. This argument or shall I say debate could go on for quite a while.

Back to the Vostro.
    Apart from the specs its complete build sounds pretty strong - its shell is made of a magnesuim alloy which is one of the strongest materials available for notebooks.

Battery life is also good especially the 9 cell. People in notebook forums have been mentioning that 3hr's and 20 mins is max battery life with normal usage and no battery saving features. With battery saving on, you should get be able to over 4 hrs no problem. The problem with the 9 cell is that it adds weight and also it sticks out about 3cm at the back however doesn't alter the level of the laptop.

Performance is very good on a typical configuration of the Vostro in which you'll get around 4600 PCmarks and a very good score of 3200 on 3dmark06.

The screen could be better on the Vostro however is on par with many competitors on the market however not as good as Sony's x-black screens. Also it's pretty chunky so isn't a portable notebook.

ReputationRep:
    Vostros are the best, end of.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmm ty for advice, i have decided for a....
    T7100
    17" WUXGA (oh yeah baby!)
    160gb hard drive
    8600GT M
    2gb ram

I have read up but all the flaws on the voistro are not major things for me, since i mostly useexternal keyboards not a problem with keyboard. Vostro iss upposed to be rugged which is perfect for me since i am going to carry this everywhere and bulkiness is nota problem since i carry ridiculously large and hevy bags with me ALLL the time (i am a big lad )

One molre thing dorian gray, dells do cut corners but not as much as you think, because they order their components in such large bulk compared to other companies it forces the price of each of the component down and the scale they order in is much larger than toher companies, i will say acer wins in style (i have seen the 5920 acer) but they keyboard was not good, like the space bar was very rigid, then the rest of the keys were all springy. But once again there will be a l;ack of build quality, it is the chepaest laptop with a 8600GT M.

ReputationRep:
    I ordered a vostro 1500 yesterday afternoon and it was dispatched this morning, it appears they have got past all of the delays they were experiencing with them.

How long has delivery taken for anyone who has ordered one recently?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the message warning of delivery delays is also gone. I've just ordered mine too. :five:

ReputationRep:
    Got mine today.

I'll review later. (Or try)

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I can't get access to mine until the 22nd, but it took 4 days to deliver. Pretty fast to be honest .

ReputationRep:
    i just got mine today (ordered on the 29th of august)

its quite chunky, but not overly heavy. mines the 15 inch screen but its definately big enough

i havnt had chance to do anything with it yet but im gonna put it through its paces tomorrow so i will let you know

ReputationRep:
    Dell are pretty ****e.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legend Killer)
    Dell are pretty ****e.
    :troll:

ReputationRep:
    this is pathetic... why do you guys get ur orders so quickly? Ordered on the 24th im still in pre production.... vostro 1700, t7500 c2d, wuxga, 8600mgt, 2gb ram

ReputationRep:
    im guessing because yours is the 1700 model and the people who asked for the 1400 and 1500 are getting theirs quickly. there must still be a backlog of orders for the 17 inch version...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 28, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.