Was I discriminated against? Watch

SeanH88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello All.

Recently applied for part time work as a member of the bar staff team at a local restaurant (with a famous owners name) near my University. Interviewed on Thursday, went well and the Bar Manager who was interviewing me on his own stated 'we'll take you on and have a trial shift with you tomorrow'. I was told the shifts would be Friday evenings and Saturday days which I said were fine. Although I told the manager I didn't have experience in making cocktails (background was in sports bar where mainly beer was served) I was told it wasn't a problem and they prefer staff they can train themselves.

Friday shift went well, I worked hard got involved, made cocktails under supervision of others and showed willingness learn. Was told at the end of the trial shift that they had another applicant who was coming in on the Saturday and they would let me know. Today (Wednesday) I called the restaurant and was told they've gone with the other applicant as they had 'more availability' and 'more experience'.

Here's where I believe discrimination may be a factor. On my trial shift the interviewer and an existing colleague had this conversation.

Existing colleague: 'Another guy then [interviewers name]? Need some more girls here.
Interviewer: I'm trying mate, just not getting the applications, otherwise I'll get them in.
Existing: Yeah try and get a few, too many new guys at the moment.
Interviewer: I suppose if I get strapping lads like you two [points to me and existing colleague] it'll get the girls in here.

Obviously I have no idea whether the individual that subsequently got the job was female, but it seemed very unprofessional to have that conversation.
Furthermore, I am a mature student at the age of 27. It's not something I hide when conversing with people, but not something I advertise either. My age was not a factor (or mentioned) before the trial shift, where I had to provide my passport. Maybe I am taking that personally, but the majority of the staff were in their early twenties.

Anyone had previous experience in this that could shed some light on my situation?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Very quick to play the discrimination card, there. Particularly aged 27. It sounds to me like you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder from your post, whether or not you mean to come across that way. Had I been the employer and the 'tone' of your post had manifested itself on your trial shift, I shouldn't have offered you the job either.
SeanH88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It wasn't my intention to come across that way. Just upset at the way I feel i've been treated. For the record I worked hard, was polite and tried my best on the trial shift. Plus, I'm asking, not stating.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.69%
The paper was reasonable (1176)
54.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (469)
21.64%
It was TERRIBLE (182)
8.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise