Old Specification VS New Specification OCR Chemistry

Watch
Eriu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I studied OCR Chemistry A on the old specification in 2013-2015 and my grades were quite dire, so this year I am entering to do Chemistry on the new specification to get a better grade in Chemistry. My question is, other than structurally in how the exams are sat, how different is the content on the course compared to the old spec? I have the old Chemistry AS and A2 textbooks for OCR, will they be enough to support my studies on the new specification, or should I buy the new specification textbooks? Obviously I would like to save money on textbooks so I was wondering if there are any significant changes made to the course content.
Thanks.
TheAlphaParticle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think Chemistry has been less changed than Biology so you should be fine just read through the new spec to make sure.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Eriu)
I studied OCR Chemistry A on the old specification in 2013-2015 and my grades were quite dire, so this year I am entering to do Chemistry on the new specification to get a better grade in Chemistry. My question is, other than structurally in how the exams are sat, how different is the content on the course compared to the old spec? I have the old Chemistry AS and A2 textbooks for OCR, will they be enough to support my studies on the new specification, or should I buy the new specification textbooks? Obviously I would like to save money on textbooks so I was wondering if there are any significant changes made to the course content.
Thanks.
You can still resit old specification units to improve your grade. You just need to find a centre offering them to private candidates.

Have you considered how you will complete the practical skills endorsement in the new A level? The cost of this will make any concern about text book costs seem irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eriu
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
You can still resit old specification units to improve your grade. You just need to find a centre offering them to private candidates.

Have you considered how you will complete the practical skills endorsement in the new A level? The cost of this will make any concern about text book costs seem irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No local centres would offer support with the coursework so I am taking the full course and paying the full fee for the course on the new spec. It's extortionate, but I would still like to save money where I can. Especially seeing as I've payed so much for the course already. I am thinking of purchasing the new syllabus textbooks just to be safe as I have been told that some of the ways of scoring marks on the exams have changed and this is reflected by some of the changed/added content in the new books
Tinka99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Eriu)
Thanks.
I think you should buy the new spec textbooks as my teacher said the change is not too much but there is some change like some A2 stuff being put into AS and little bits being put in between. I obviously have no idea myself of how much contrast regarding content there is in the new and old spec as I am doing the new spec for OCR but as far as I have heard it's very similar.
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From what I have heard from my old chem teacher the new OCR spec is just the old one rearranged and the questions about improving experiments etc you would normally be asked in coursework will now be in exams. I'd probably still buy the new spec textbooks though!
Nettled
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of the top of my head these are the slight changes:
The gas/partial one
Arhenious equation
Van der waals is a loose broad term. London forces used instead.
The exam didn't have much definition based questions.

The old past papers are still really useful/similar in style. Oh and there will be more practical questions as we don't get tested in ISA's.
Eriu
Rep:
?
Cheers for the answers, I think I'll buy the new books when I get the chance just to be on the safe side
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (68)
17.94%
No one else does (120)
31.66%
I'm embarrassed about my background (41)
10.82%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (128)
33.77%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.58%
I don't have a camera (9)
2.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.85%

Watched Threads