The Student Room Group

What to do if your REAL ID is confiscated?

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum, I'm kind of new to TSR so hopefully this is the best place to ask this question?:curious:

Basically if you really can't be bothered to read in depth below, it's pretty irrelevant I just like to explain things in detail, could someone please tell me what I can do if I am 19 and use my real ID to get into a club and have it confiscated? Can I get it back the same night because it's mine? Can the non emergency police line help? Can police wandering the streets help? Someone please help!

But anyway I'm a 19 year old girl, and I go out pretty regularly, probably about 2/3 times a month since i turned 18 nearly two years ago. I use my passport ( i don't have a provisional at the moment, i know I really should sort that soon) but it doesn't really look much like me. I suppose if you looked really hard at my nose and lips you'd see that it was me,but the picture itself is almost four years old.. I have red hair in the picture, and now I have long blonde hair, and on the picture my face was slightly (literally only slightly but noticeably) chubbier in the ID photo than it is now, also I have a lot of make up on on nights out where as in my ID I have none.. so obviously in four years I've changed a lot and don't look too much like my ID.

So yeah, I pretty much still get in all the time, ive never been refused entry or had it confiscated, I sometimes get asked questions or 'examined' really harshly to make sure it's definitely my ID, but I always get let in in the end. I always carry a debit card with my name on, and I'm always more than happy to show my social media accounts with my name on if I was asked to do so. (I've never been asked that but apparently a lot of bouncers ask to see your Facebook)

But because I know my ID doesn't look much like me, and because I know bouncers have been harsh in the past about whether it's actually mine or not, I sometimes get really anxious about planned nights out a couple of nights before. If it's a club I always go to I really don't give it a second thought. I know it's my ID and I know I'll get in. But this weekend I'm going somewhere I don't go often, I've maybe been twice, and I know from past experience and other people's experiences and reviews on the club the bouncers are pretty spiteful and completely unfair. As in, they will refuse entry based on race, sexual orientation or even, according to reviews on the clubs page, someone's appearance. So I know the bouncers aren't too good at doing a good job. I've been before, I've seen the bouncers be unfair. They havnt doubted my ID the last time I went, and whenever I have been I've got in, but my anxiety is kicking in anyway. I can't think of anything that makes me angrier than having my OWN ID confiscated and not be able to get it back, therefor having to waste money getting a taxi back home and going to bed:angry:

I know you're probably thinking why are you so worried if Its your ID and you've never had it taken off you, but it's just something I worry about sometimes. I just want to be prepared and know what to do in that situation. I've tried googling what action I can take when my real ID is confiscated, but most of the things I've found are from Americans, so it's probably different laws over there.

If a bouncer was to take my ID,after I've answered all the questions (which I'd obviously be able to seeing as it's mine) and showed him my debit card, Facebook etc all match up, and he STILL wouldn't give it me, what can I do? I'd happily sit there until I got it back, but can I get police to verify it on the spot? I wouldn't want to leave it with bouncers I already know don't do their job properly, and when it's really my ID and I know I'm not doing anything illegal I would be happy to put up a fight for it (in the sense of words, I would politely argue) and a good one at that. So I guess I don't really have much reason to be worried seeing as i am of legal age and I have never had it taken from me before, but to calm my anxieties if it was to ever happen, does anyone know the actions i can take there and then, at the club, to get it back?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
You should sort out a provisional asap or get your passport renewed with a new picture. That's the only solution I can think of. Also they are not allowed to confiscate it since its YOUR REAL ID and you can snatch it back and walk away. Or even call the police and tell them.
Reply 2
Original post by bluemadhatter
You should sort out a provisional asap or get your passport renewed with a new picture. That's the only solution I can think of. Also they are not allowed to confiscate it since its YOUR REAL ID and you can snatch it back and walk away. Or even call the police and tell them.

Yeah, I've been meaning to sort my provisional for so long.. it's just one of those things I keep forgetting I guess :biggrin:

But yeah I suppose that's really what I wanted to know.. what to do in the mean time without a provisional and just a passport.. knowing it's my actual passport I would never want to leave it overnight to come and collect.. ive heard horror stories of bouncers taking ID then giving it to people they know who are underage and need ID, then claiming they never took any ID from said person. I don't know how true that is but I would NOT be happy with having to replace my OWN passport because a bouncer didn't give it back.

As long as i know I'm perfectly liable to snatch my property back from him and run then i will do so should my fear of losing my own ID ever happen. I know on some websites people are claiming that the club 'as its own premises, has the right to withhold ID from a person' which is ridiculous if they are refusing to give ID back to its rightful owner, so yeah, hopefully that is a load of bull, and I will be sure to snatch and run, or fetch a police man to help! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest