neemra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Whats the main difference and which is one is more beneficial?
Crabb1ey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! Studying abroad means you pick a uni your uni has agreed to do an exchange with and you either do a semester or full year with your exchange uni. It gives you a chance to experience a different style of teaching, live in a different country, etc. A placement year means you spend a full year out in the field actually working with companies, etc in the job area you're interested in. I'd say a placement year is more valuable because:
- it's all off your own back - you have to find and secure your placements pretty much.
-It allows you to network and impress a potential employeer.
-You develop so many skills and can learn to use equipment your uni doesn't have. (Someone at my uni got a placement year with NASA, so she has access to a lot of interesting equipment!)
-It's easy to get the experience as many organisations only take students who are currently studying. Some do take recent graduates, but there is an issue with graduates struggling to secure jobs because they have no experience whereas you'll graduate with a year's worth of experience already.
-It shows you have initiative, in that you took it upon yourself to apply for a placement year. And not enough people do a placement year so you will stand out.

Whilst both are viewed favourably by employers, a placement year, in my opinion, is more impressive. (Also there is the chance of getting a paid placement whilst others offer free accommodation. Some do provide food)
neemra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Crabb1ey)
Hi! Studying abroad means you pick a uni your uni has agreed to do an exchange with and you either do a semester or full year with your exchange uni. It gives you a chance to experience a different style of teaching, live in a different country, etc. A placement year means you spend a full year out in the field actually working with companies, etc in the job area you're interested in. I'd say a placement year is more valuable because:
- it's all off your own back - you have to find and secure your placements pretty much.
-It allows you to network and impress a potential employeer.
-You develop so many skills and can learn to use equipment your uni doesn't have. (Someone at my uni got a placement year with NASA, so she has access to a lot of interesting equipment!)
-It's easy to get the experience as many organisations only take students who are currently studying. Some do take recent graduates, but there is an issue with graduates struggling to secure jobs because they have no experience whereas you'll graduate with a year's worth of experience already.
-It shows you have initiative, in that you took it upon yourself to apply for a placement year. And not enough people do a placement year so you will stand out.

Whilst both are viewed favourably by employers, a placement year, in my opinion, is more impressive. (Also there is the chance of getting a paid placement whilst others offer free accommodation. Some do provide food)
Thank you so much, this really helped!
Crabb1ey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by neemra)
Thank you so much, this really helped!
No problem! If you need help with enquiry emails if you decide on a placement year message me as I'll be more than happy to send you the enquiry email, cover letter and CV I used in case you're stuck on applying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads