The Student Room Group

Which Drama Degrees/university courses?

hi everyone!

i am trying to choose which drama course i should do next year but am stuck.

i want a course which has some technical aspects but is also just fun and well... a very good drama degree! but i dont really want to go to a drama college coz i'll miss out on university and i've always loved the idea of universities and the halls of residence and all that stuff. sounds great! :smile:

can anyone give me some advice?

i like the look of derby, dunno how good it is.

but yeh thanks for any interest :p:
and hope it helps other people aswell!
Reply 1
So you're definitely sure you want to do Drama and not Acting? Bear in mind that Drama is written based also and not just practical/technical.

I know Hull does some technical aspects in their Drama degree(s).
Reply 2
well i like the written aspect but im not too good at it, and i enjoy performing, but like im happy for a half and half degree (i use drama as a general term)

my aims are to get into theatre, and to have the possibility of going back to uni to do technical if i have a chance later in life.
There is a better forum for this stuff. University Courses > Creative Arts.

However that said, my friend goes to Coventry and he loves it. He gets to be involved with everything in the production of a piece, and has very little writing.
Try Kent - i know i haven't started their yet, but they have a whole module dedicated to technical, whole module dedicated to practical, and two more writing based - might be for u!
Reply 5
Thanks for all your help!:smile:
i'm applying for a drama degree in 2008 entry. i av so far put down queen mary(2nd in country for drama apparently), royal holloway(one of best teaching quality), central school of speech and drama, lsbu, and manchester. now am not sure about lsbu andmore cos 70% of students r mature! eeks. well i know thatr i am picking a drama course for both theory and practical, but i really love the idea of a production course (i.e. at central school of speech and drama). so basically i'm also confused. does central have student accom? or is it just a day college and i hav to get my own private accom?
Reply 7
I think central use another uni's accomodation because it is an acting school, rather than a proper university. May I also tell you that it is very very hard to get into places like Central. I read somewhere that it is now harder to get into places like Central, Mountview, RADA etc. than it is to get into Oxford and Cambridge.

I'm starting at De Montfort next week doing the Drama Studies course there, which sounds really really good. The university is a Centre of Excellence for Performance, and have just opened up a new building especially for performance subjects (I think they have something like 14 studio spaces now). Being a Centre of Excellence means that their performance courses will be amongst the top ranked in the country, despite what league tables say (which are three years out-dated anyway). Anyway, I know that in the first year, there is a technical module on this course and you could probably do more technical stuff in the second and third years too. On balance, 70% of the course is practical based, probably one of the most practically based drama courses available.
I'm at Queen Mary, if you want to ask me any questions feel free :smile:
I'm at Warwick and actual drama is limited (suits me perfectly though) so I would ignore that course.

Latest