The Student Room Group

Reception at my halls opening my mail

Had a couple parcels from amazon which came slightly opened, which i thought was weird but shrugged off as maybe having opened themselves in the post, but today had a letter forwarded and the side was cut open completely such that it fell out as i was walking.
I dont have anything to hide but I just find it really shady. Do i have the right to ask them not to look in? Can they even legally open my mail?
Reply 1
It's illegal for them to look at your mail unless you agreed to it in your contract or there is a cause to be suspicious about what it contains. Such as having an indication that it's a bomb or some crap like that. I would suggest talking to whoever is in charge of your halls or the contact person you've been provided for queries and complaints etc. And just tell them what has been happening and say you feel uncomfortable with the breach in privacy
It's better to be safe than to be sorry, particularly in this day and age. I don't blame them for being suspicious.
Reply 3
Original post by #ChaosKass
It's better to be safe than to be sorry, particularly in this day and age. I don't blame them for being suspicious.

I mean the first one was a package with amazon logos on, and the second a very thin envelope with just a bank statement in- definitely not anything suspicious
Original post by Tigers2
Had a couple parcels from amazon which came slightly opened, which i thought was weird but shrugged off as maybe having opened themselves in the post, but today had a letter forwarded and the side was cut open completely such that it fell out as i was walking.
I dont have anything to hide but I just find it really shady. Do i have the right to ask them not to look in? Can they even legally open my mail?

Which hall are you talking about?
Original post by #ChaosKass

Don't be ridiculous. This is regular mail we're talking about, not a ticking box with wires hanging out of it.
Reply 6
Definitely complain to the people in charge of your halls (perhaps even consult with your Student Union for advice). They definitely should not be opening your mail without permission. Heck, even if they had a concern about a delivery they should consult with you first and let you know they are going to open it rather than just opening every single bit of mail you have. Look in the terms and conditions for your accommodation and see if there is anything about mail/deliveries. Can you talk to other people and ask if they have had the same experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending