Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying and failing to work out this song, I have an idea about what key it is in but I'm still really not sure. Hearing has never been my strong point (tbh music isn't)

Can someone lend me their ear (har har):

http://www.ffr4.com/sims/index.php?songid=4329

ReputationRep:
    C or E?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it's a pretty hard song to distinguish a particular key... Can you play the keyboard? If so, trying to find the starting note could help you work out the key... I would help you with that but I don't have my keyboard with me...

ReputationRep:
    I think its E flat major

ReputationRep:
    Well, the piano introduction is in Eb minor, however i believe it modulates rather a lot (perhaps to the dominant or relative major)....and then the main 'heavier' bit is in Eb Major, but again, it doesn't keep precisely to any one key for long. Parts of the heavier bit are based around Pachabel's cannon, which is based around a cycle of fifths, incidently.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't pachabels set around fourths?

I agree with the above otherwise though, lots of perfect cadences which help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The OK Kid Computer Thief)
    Well, the piano introduction is in Eb minor, however i believe it modulates rather a lot (perhaps to the dominant or relative major)....and then the main 'heavier' bit is in Eb Major, but again, it doesn't keep precisely to any one key for long. Parts of the heavier bit are based around Pachabel's cannon, which is based around a cycle of fifths, incidently.
    Blimey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayne)
    Isn't pachabels set around fourths?

I agree with the above otherwise though, lots of perfect cadences which help.
    Erm....well, if it were in D (which is the original key of the piece) the sequence goes: D (tonic), A (dominant), B Minor (relative minor), F# minor (reletive minor dominant), G (Subdominant), D (Tonic) etc

So, although they are decending in 4ths, they are in fact going in a cycle 5ths (tonic to dominant).
    What made you think it was 4ths?

ReputationRep:
    Erm....well, if it were in D (which is the original key of the piece) the sequence goes: D (tonic), A (dominant), B Minor (relative minor), F# minor (reletive minor dominant), G (Subdominant), D (Tonic) etc

So, although they are decending in 4ths, they are in fact going in a cycle 5ths (tonic to dominant).
    i like music

ReputationRep:

My excuse was I was trashed at that time. But, I should have noticed that: I was also thinking of the bass line but not the chords on top, , 'pologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayne)
    My excuse was I was trashed at that time. But, I should have noticed that: I was also thinking of the bass line but not the chords on top, , 'pologies.
    Hah....nevermind! Just had to make sure i wasn't going crazy, what with 2 of you thinking otherwise...

i like music
    Me too In fact i like it so much, i'm studying it for the next 3 years at leeds....woo!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.