The Student Room Group

Accounting qualifications

Hello
Is there a comprehensive comparison table or list of the accounting qualifications?
I am interested for an introductory 1-2 years course (or even 6 months) that is level 2/3/4 and preferably counts towards more advanced professional qualifications.
What are my options?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Study the AAT. Try to get an apprenticeship where you're working and studying at the same time. Practical experience is everything in accounting.

The AAT also offers exemptions from papers F1-F4 of the ACCA I believe.

I'm currently working in a practice after graduating and due to my limited experience, I'm a total rookie compared to those who have done the AAT instead of uni.
Reply 2
AAT and not cima, cafb??

I cannot do an apprenticeship as I am studying at uni atm for irrelevant degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by verier
Hello
Is there a comprehensive comparison table or list of the accounting qualifications?
I am interested for an introductory 1-2 years course (or even 6 months) that is level 2/3/4 and preferably counts towards more advanced professional qualifications.
What are my options?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No accounting employer expects you to be completing professional qualifications while doing your degree. What you should do is apply for graduate schemes like the ones at Deloitte, pwc, kpmg, ey and plenty of other firms. They will train you for the ACA or CIMA, the most prestigious one is the ACA so go for those in particular. You don't need to complete any qualifications while at university- just do some light research to make sure you know what an accounting career involves and apply to graduate schemes.
Reply 4
Original post by verier
AAT and not cima, cafb??

I cannot do an apprenticeship as I am studying at uni atm for irrelevant degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I started the ACCA after graduation, but experience is everything in accounting, so write to your local practices and try to get some relevant work experience ASAP whilst you're still at uni.

I'm currently working in an accountancy practice on a placement, but only have one week left. :frown: The boss said to me at the start that it works better for him to train people from AAT level instead of graduates due to the experience factor. I just need to prove myself this week!
Reply 5
Thanks but my goal is investment banking, business management or other high finance roles, not strictly accounting.

I could also like compliance career

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by verier
Thanks but my goal is investment banking, business management or other high finance roles, not strictly accounting.

I could also like compliance career

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to enter investment banking or high finance why do you want to do an accounting qualification while at university? It really does not help- what does help is doing extracurricular activities, volunteering, getting some sort of financial work experience. Banks care more about your soft skills like communication and teamwork, the technical skills and qualifications are taught on the job.
Reply 7
I need to show that I am serious about finance career, plus I need to gain some basic knowledge
Original post by verier
I need to show that I am serious about finance career, plus I need to gain some basic knowledge

You really do not need any qualifications to show that. They don't care what degree you do. Just do extracurricular activities and do some research on the career. Just read stuff online about it and go on financial firms' career sites to find out what you need to know. You only need basic knowledge- employers care far more about soft skills and extracurricular activities.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest