The Student Room Group

Thinking about dropping out...

Its my first year and ive hardly been attending any lectures and seminars because I simply am not interested in the course. Im considering dropping out, taking time off to re-think and try again next year with a different course. Im only 18 so Im still quite young to take a year out. Advice on what i should do would be appreciated
(edited 7 years ago)
guess the homesickness has struck and you didn't get your end away durign freshers ?having a successful and enjoyable timeat Uni requires you to put some effort in ... or maybe you just 'lack moral fibre' ...
Original post by Mark_777
Its my first year and ive hardly been attending any lectures and seminars because I simply am not interested in the course. Im considering dropping out, taking time off to re-think and try again next year with a different course. Im only 18 so Im still quite young to take a year out. Furthermore my flatmates are annoying, dont have anything in common and cant stand their voices anymore, please help and advice on what i should do would be appreciated

I remember writing a similar post this time last year on this forum.

All i can say is I'm so glad I didn't drop out.

It's still soooo early on in the year there's a pretty high chance things will get better

If your flatmates are intolerable you could always try and move flats? And maybe you would enjoy the course more if you engaged with it more?

I know it's hard; I was terrified at uni to start with and that was on top of a million personal problems but essentially I am glad I stuck with it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by zippyRN
guess the homesickness has struck and you didn't get your end away durign freshers ?having a successful and enjoyable timeat Uni requires you to put some effort in ... or maybe you just 'lack moral fibre' ...

I guess you could call it homesickness as I've moved from Ireland to England and miss my friends. I lack motivation for uni, the course isnt what i expected it to be , what do you mean 'lack moral fibre'?
Reply 4
Original post by lachachacha
I remember writing a similar post this time last year on this forum.

All i can say is I'm so glad I didn't drop out.

It's still soooo early on in the year there's a pretty high chance things will get better

If your flatmates are intolerable you could always try and move flats? And maybe you would enjoy the course more if you engaged with it more?

I know it's hard; I was terrified at uni to start with and that was on top of a million personal problems but essentially I am glad I stuck with it :smile:

A lot of people have been telling me I should just stick with it, I currently lack motivation for the course which is why im missing so many lectures/seminars.
Reply 5
Its early doors, you can catch up still and you only need 40% to pass your first year. Getting down to lectures must be better than moping in your room. Uni courses can be hard and few people actually enjoy every module! It may well improve in later years where you can possibly choose your courses more?
Reply 6
A lot of people have been telling me I should just stick with it, I currently lack motivation for the course which is why im missing so many lectures/seminars.

You may not have any motivation, but you should really try attending more lectures/seminars. You may find that you do end up enjoying it. I mean, you obviously wanted to study it further which was why you took the time to apply to study it at University. Sure some lectures and seminars can be dull but others can be fun and interesting! You're missing out by not attending. Even try and regularly attend a few more can make such a big difference. Speak to your lecturers and discuss your lack of motivation, they may be able to offer you advice or provide you with more support. Motivation can be hard, and sometimes you really just have to force yourself to get up and go even if you don't particularly want to. I often dread leaving my warm bed to go to a cold office to do work, but once I get there I end up engaging in the office chat and I really don't mind it. The shift is over before I know it! It'll go by even quicker for a lecture or seminar. Even just try going more to develop more University friends!
Attend more lectures and seminars and continue to do so for the next month or two. If you still are really unhappy then I would consider dropping out. Just remember that once you're out you may end up regretting it. What is your plan for if you leave? Try having a job lined up beforehand rather than just dropping out straight away. Consult with funding on whether you would need to pay some of it back if you drop out now.
Sometimes the hardest decisions are the best decisions. If you really don't want to do it then before dropping out come up with an alternative plan e.g. getting into a job or an apprenticeship and start applying before you drop. Or look at other degrees and try to find something you like and figure out a plan to get there. There is nothing wrong with quitting something you genuinely are unhappy about doing but you just have to have a plan otherwise that will put you in a worse off situation.
Reply 8
Can't you switch to another course?
Its my first year and ive hardly been attending any lectures and seminars because I simply am not interested in the course. Im considering dropping out, taking time off to re-think and try again next year with a different course. Im only 18 so Im still quite young to take a year out. Advice on what i should do would be appreciated

Hello,

If you aren't interested in the course, drop out. That's my advice.
When you started, did you choose the course because it interested you? And then did you attend the first couple and not find it interesting?
Or did you just choose the course because you had to choose something?

If it's the first, then I'd consider going back and making the effort to go to some of the lectures, you should never base the experience of the first few days. Give it a chance and see where you end up.

If you can, however, hold your hand on your heart and say you've gave it your best shot and it really doesn't interest you, then drop out. If you aren't attending the lectures and aren't interested, you'll just end up failing and that'll leave you in a worse position so probably best to drop out and pick up another course at a later date.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello,

If you aren't interested in the course, drop out. That's my advice.
When you started, did you choose the course because it interested you? And then did you attend the first couple and not find it interesting?
Or did you just choose the course because you had to choose something?

If it's the first, then I'd consider going back and making the effort to go to some of the lectures, you should never base the experience of the first few days. Give it a chance and see where you end up.

If you can, however, hold your hand on your heart and say you've gave it your best shot and it really doesn't interest you, then drop out. If you aren't attending the lectures and aren't interested, you'll just end up failing and that'll leave you in a worse position so probably best to drop out and pick up another course at a later date.

Good luck :smile:

I picked Business Management because I got an A in A-level Business Studies therefore I thought it was best to continue studying a subject Im good at. I'm aiming to attend more lectures next week and give it another shot.
Reply 11
Original post by EmmaCx
You may not have any motivation, but you should really try attending more lectures/seminars. You may find that you do end up enjoying it. I mean, you obviously wanted to study it further which was why you took the time to apply to study it at University. Sure some lectures and seminars can be dull but others can be fun and interesting! You're missing out by not attending. Even try and regularly attend a few more can make such a big difference. Speak to your lecturers and discuss your lack of motivation, they may be able to offer you advice or provide you with more support. Motivation can be hard, and sometimes you really just have to force yourself to get up and go even if you don't particularly want to. I often dread leaving my warm bed to go to a cold office to do work, but once I get there I end up engaging in the office chat and I really don't mind it. The shift is over before I know it! It'll go by even quicker for a lecture or seminar. Even just try going more to develop more University friends!
Attend more lectures and seminars and continue to do so for the next month or two. If you still are really unhappy then I would consider dropping out. Just remember that once you're out you may end up regretting it. What is your plan for if you leave? Try having a job lined up beforehand rather than just dropping out straight away. Consult with funding on whether you would need to pay some of it back if you drop out now.

I was thinking about returning home and trying a different course next year but decided that I'll be giving my current course another shot by attending more lectures next week

Quick Reply

Latest